Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
First time towing

Picking up the new 30ft Greywolf on Friday. A bit nervous about towing any advice? Thanks!

Billchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
Tell us about your tow vehicle and your hitch. Best advice is make sure all your questions are answered by the dealer before you leave. Particular attention to the hook-up process. If you can, camp close to the dealer for a shake down of the unit. Towing wise go at your own pace but keep it under 65. Check your truck tires for max pressure and inflate to that level. Try to find a large parking lot close by and practice forward and backward. Turning with a trailer is different than you are used to.

Congrats on the new trailer and Welcome to the forum.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Biggest thing I can tell you from 35+ years of towing is it takes alot longer to stop than solo.....& keep in mind the turn radius is much greater .......... can't turn or back too sharply (trailer tongue can contact the bumper & do damage).....Did I mention it takes longer to stop....

When you hitch up check & double check..........

Just takes practice but never become over confident .........

Enjoy & have fun.......... Congrats on your new RV....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Hi. Congrats

All the above is good advice. Also don't assume that everyone else on the road knows or even cares that you are towing. Extra space and extra time with turning, lane changing and as mentioned, braking is key. Just as you are approaching that side road where a car is waiting to pull out and they wait and then do making you anchor up. You'll see what I mean. Kinda like riding a motorcycle. You only appreciate their position on the road as a motorist if you are also a rider.
Get in to a habit about hitching and un hitching for sure. Even make a checklist until it becomes second nature. There is a lot to remember and you can't miss anything.
You will learn fast
Most of all, enjoy your new camper!
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
2008 Ford F350 Super Duty
6.4L Powerstroke Long Bed CC
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Also, get your DW involved, she can be your second set of eyes as youdouble check you hook-ups...don't forget the chocks...first thing on...last thing off.
2008 Silverado 5.3 tow package
2013 Roo 25rs
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Remember even though you are a big vehicle, people WILL pull out in front of you, so they don't have to follow you.
ALWAYS (G.O.A.L) Get Out And Look before backing up.
And if at all possible do not back in on your blind side. (passenger side). Its a lot easier to see on the drivers side. Its not always possible due to lots a variables, but I try to make it happen.
I have a rule when we get to camp. No one gets out of the truck when backing up, and everyone stays seated till I say they can get out. (my wife is the exception if I need extra eyes). I usually get the camper chocked and 120 plugged in and air turned on. Then let the family do their thing helping set up the rest.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Site Team
Lot of good advice here for sure!
Have you ever towed anything before?
Where I live I have to watch out for low hanging trees and weave around them since my unit sit kinda tall.
Have your "A" game ready for the journey home from the dealer and enjoy the moment!
I remember towing my new unit home...rush hour traffic
Be safe
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 5 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 86 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Make sure you have towing mirrors!
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Billchelle View Post
Picking up the new 30ft Greywolf on Friday. A bit nervous about towing any advice? Thanks!
Here is what I suggest. I don't know if this will be your first time towing any trailer, so here are some basics...

Take turns wide.

Take it slow -stay below 65 on the freeway and give yourself 2-3 times the distance you would normally when following traffic.

Spot out an empty parking lot and practice. Learn how to a backup using side mirrors (There is a trick to place your hand on the bottom of your steering wheel at the 6:00 position) and turn your hand in the direction that you want your trailer to turn). Reverse slowly.

Pay attention to the height of your trailer when on roads with a low tree canopy.

Not related to towing but good practices for the pickup day and before your first big trip:

PDI - review the PDI Checklist in our library (found in the green menu bar above). Take it with you for the pickup.

Learn how to adjust your weight distribution hitch. A properly adjusted WDH has a great impact on towing. You will need to readjust some of it once you fully load.

Always check your trailer tires' air pressure before traveling.

Learn how to adjust your brake controller. You might need to do this on the road.

Plan to driveway camp once you get it home and before your first long trip.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Be sure and check electrical connections before pulling out. Do a walk around and check turn signals and brake lights on the trailer. If your TV did not come with trailer brake setup you may need to replace flasher with heavy duty flasher. And yes, it takes a lot longer to stop. I would suggest you find a side street somewhere close by the dealer and do some test stops, including "standing" on the brake pedal to simulate a panic stop - this will give you an idea about how much longer it takes to stop. I often see RVs rolling down the highway following as closely as if they were in city traffic at 30mph! Also, remember the extra height and watch out for low bridges and tunnels.

Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote