Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
We have a very similar situation at our house. Steep hill and curve, short sightlines, 50 MPH speed limit.

We don't back in. We extended our driveway into the back yard. We pull straight in, then turn the whole rig around in the back yard so it's pointing out again for the next trip.

Pulling out, we have a yellow strobe light on the truck roof to give downhill traffic as much warning as possible, then we pick our moment and gun it into the road.
I have wanted strobe lights on my motorhome but was told I can’t pass PA state inspection with them.

Our street is on a hill. My house is on a slope. I would love to use my back yard as a turn around but one side is too steep and the other is too narrow. Plus we have a high water table so the ground can be soft.

But if I tore down my garage...

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #82
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This thread is a Sales Brochure for backup cameras.

I love mine which is the first camera I've had in decades of towing.

To help the camera I find that the miniature traffic cones used for marking playing fields used by little kids teams work great to mark out the path to your final parking spot. They show up well in the camera so just maneuver down the lane you've set up using the small cones (or Slurpee cups, etc).
Just remember that a reversing/backup camera is just an AID to help with blind spots. Like you, it is not an infallible device.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Remove your Sway Bar also! Youroo!!
just wondering why you need to remove sway bar before backing up? I back my trailer up just fine with it on and remove it when I unhitch the trailer.
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #84
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuk View Post
just wondering why you need to remove sway bar before backing up? I back my trailer up just fine with it on and remove it when I unhitch the trailer.

Some older style hitches and friction sway systems you have to otherwise you will end up causing damage to either the hitch and components and/or frame of the TT. I know on my blue ox I can back up with it.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
What WDH do you have? Some old tech chain WDHs with friction anti sway bars, require you to unhook them before backing up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #86

Quote:
As another person said, some installations will allow damage if you back with the sway bar still attached. If the ball that is attached to the frame is in the wrong place, as the trailer is jackknifed when backing the bar will hit the end of its travel before the ball on the hitch hits the end of its rearward travel. End result can be a broken ball stud or damage to trailer frame.

Best to remove when backing just to be sure no damage is done.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #87

One trick I picked up from a video. This sounds a bit confusing, but after a bit of practice, you do it automatically.

As you are passing your parking start in the road next to the edge on the side where you want to park. As you start passing the parking spot, turn to the other side of the road. As the back end of your trailer approaches the parking spot, turn your tow vehicle back to the parking spot side of the road. If you do this right, the back end of your trailer will be partially pointed into the parking spot, making backing in a bunch easier.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
As another person said, some installations will allow damage if you back with the sway bar still attached. If the ball that is attached to the frame is in the wrong place, as the trailer is jackknifed when backing the bar will hit the end of its travel before the ball on the hitch hits the end of its rearward travel. End result can be a broken ball stud or damage to trailer frame.

Best to remove when backing just to be sure no damage is done.
Yes this is Good Info! Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #89

Quote:
Not all are Installed Properly thus some Bottom Out one way while others Fall out the other way! This "Remove Tip" covers ALL Installs from Damage! Yours May be installed proper! There is a 100% Guarantee that NO Damage will occur if friction sway bar is Removed,would you tell your Towing Neighbor "Yes leave it on,it will be OK"? Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 AM   #90
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Make sure you can reach all hookups. Make sure there is room for slides to open and wheels are chocked before uncoupling.
First trip out this season we were completely set up all that was left was hooking up power. We were a foot short of reaching.

Wow, yes, terrible to have to re-do everything just to move over a bit - been there, done that. I purchased a 30amp extension cord as soon as we got back home from the trip it happened to me. The extension cord is in my camping toolbox and comes with me on every trip. It has never been unwrapped, lol. But I have it, just in case, lessons we learn!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #91
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
One trick I picked up from a video. This sounds a bit confusing, but after a bit of practice, you do it automatically.

As you are passing your parking start in the road next to the edge on the side where you want to park. As you start passing the parking spot, turn to the other side of the road. As the back end of your trailer approaches the parking spot, turn your tow vehicle back to the parking spot side of the road. If you do this right, the back end of your trailer will be partially pointed into the parking spot, making backing in a bunch easier.

Wow, that makes great sense! I drew it out as I am a visual person, lol, but it makes total sense and I can't wait to try it. I am also sure it will help me back into my parking pad off the alley at my house. I used to have thick woods across the alley from me, so rolling up there to line up for backing was a cinch. Now, there are 7 new single family homes in various stages of build, and a brand new driveway exactly in my former roll-on spot along with a porta-potty smack dab in my backing path. So this last time backing my TT was definitely more of a challenge. By the time I come home from our next excursion there will be another driveway "in my way" so I am going to give your tip and try and feel more confident that I can do that/ get her in without rolling over someone's driveway.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #92

Even though I've been backing TT's for years, the biggest problem I have are the campers that park their TV's or Toads partly into the road in front of their campsites.
If the campsite is at 90 degrees to the road and the road is barely wide enough to begin with it's tough. When faced with that (thankfully not often) I'll ask if the people could move the vehicle until I'm into my site. Usually not a problem unless the person with the keys is out hiking on the beach or the like.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I have wanted strobe lights on my motorhome but was told I can’t pass PA state inspection with them.

Our street is on a hill. My house is on a slope. I would love to use my back yard as a turn around but one side is too steep and the other is too narrow. Plus we have a high water table so the ground can be soft.

But if I tore down my garage...
They actually make tiny little round strobes about the size of a half dollar that will surface mount anywhere and are clear when not activated. Mounted in an inconspicuous place I doubt an inspector would even notice them.

The same lights can be mounted as hide-away strobes, too, inside existing taillights, turn signals, etc. Completely invisible unless someone pries the lens off.

As a volunteer firefighter I've had good luck with Feniex lights on my truck. They're available on Amazon.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
They actually make tiny little round strobes about the size of a half dollar that will surface mount anywhere and are clear when not activated. Mounted in an inconspicuous place I doubt an inspector would even notice them.

The same lights can be mounted as hide-away strobes, too, inside existing taillights, turn signals, etc. Completely invisible unless someone pries the lens off.

As a volunteer firefighter I've had good luck with Feniex lights on my truck. They're available on Amazon.
Wow, sounds good. I will take a look at them. Could be a big help with safety.

Thanks.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:03 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by logspec1 View Post
With a view like that why do you go camping?
I was thinking, where's the escalator when the driveway ices over...
Gun guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, towing