Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #1

first tow vehicle - 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 2wd or a Grand Cherokee v6 4x4

hi
We are looking into a tow vehicle that can tow a 3000 lbs E-Pro 19FD from Flagstaff.

After looking around, seems we are liking a Chevy colorado or a GMC Canyon that have V6, tow package, 2 wheel drive. It claim to tow up to 7000 lbs. This is more car like when compare to big 1500 or F-150 and cheaper for cost too.
At the same time a Jeep Grand Cherokee is having special now, a v6 4x4 with tow package is claim to be able to tow 6000 lbs.

We are planning to travel to parks within 6 hrs radius around our home for this year so we can take our time to drive and still arrive with in 1 day (our first year with rv). Couple years later we would like to try to go to east end of Canada (PEI) with is 20 hrs driving.

Anyone out there have experience with these tow vehicles? Suggestions please. Also, we are new to towing. Is that a factor for us. Or is there out there something better options.

thx.
eseeweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

You will get lots of answers either way. As a guide to making a decision I suggest the following.

Use loaded hitch weight which is probably closer to 500lbs.
Use load capacity of tow vehicle ( found on drivers door jamb)
Towing capacity is a marketing ploy ( like pennies a day)

Take hitch weight, add 100 lbs for hitch itself and the weight of everything you plan to carry in tow vehicle including passengers( not driver) subtract this from load capacity. If the number is positive you are good to go. Best solution is to use scales, but that is difficult to do when you don't own units yet.

Also consider the probability that you may upgrade in a few years. Many people say they won't be upgrading, but after a few seasons find many reasons why they should. You may want to choose a tow vehicle that does not need to be replaced when you upgrade.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

First issue with the Jeep that I know of will be frontal area of the camper I believe they are limited to 60 sq feet being a small truck find the where’s manual for the Colorado and look for frontal area limitations taking a stab it will be around the same. We have a suburban and a nitro a bit smaller then the Jeep but the frontal area is listed at 64 square feet and let me tell you. When we tow the pop up that is over 3000 lbs it doesn’t notice it. But when I hook up my 12 foot enclosed trailer empty the Fact that I’m towing a barn down the highway is very noticeable
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

I towed a Jayco 17Z Hybrid camper with a 2010 Colorado for a few years. I had the 5 cylinder and if I remember correctly, it was rated at 5,500 lbs. I believe it was 2011 when they raised the towing weight for all Colorado/Canyon engines.

Overall, I didn't have any real problems towing the 17Z. That trailer had a max gross weight of only 3500 lbs and was 2800 and something lbs factory dry weight. Power wise, hitch load, etc, The Colorado was fine. The only thing I didn't like was that the Colorado was a little lighter than I would've liked for a full height trailer. I never had any fishtail type sway with the equalizer hitch, but I could definitely feel the push from cross winds and the pull from tractor trailers passing me. I didn't have those issues with a previous large popup that didn't weigh all that much less than the hybrid camper.

I always loved my Colorado though!

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

I pulled a heavier Rockwood 1809S with the slightly smaller Cherokee (KL). It had a tow capacity of 4500# and the Rockwood maxed it out. Never had an issue with sway from the short wheelbase. Power was never an issue. The 9 speed trans was a pain.

V6's have a pretty high torque curve, so even with the Colorado you'd have to go easy on the highway so you aren't beating the snot out of the rpm's. I could tow 5'th gear at about 2800 rpm with the Jeep. Not bad considering my Ram tows the fifth wheel in 5'th at about 2600.

edit: Frontal surface area for my Cherokee was limited to 32. Nothing short of a pop up is going to meet that. The drag did drop my mileage from 28 hwy to 8-9 towing.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #6

All depending on your family needs !

Those two trucks have gotten very good reviews from what I’ve read, and with a topper, that would be very good additional dry storage !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. I lean towards the Colorado. Any suggestions about different in terms of 2wd or 4wd? Does it matter? I think the grand Cherokee has a lower ground clearance. Worry about driving on rough country road?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
Site Team

The big question will be: is there a future possibility that you may get something bigger in the future?
These vehicles are capable of towing the E-Pro but will be limited to anything bigger.

Personally, the truck will be more versatile than the SUV and better for towing.

And please don't make a newbie mistake by only looking at towing capacities. All tow vehicles will run out of payload capacity WAY before coming close to their towing capacities, ESPECIALLY SUVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #9

Very good question... at this point my wife and I look at 10 years life span for this 19FD. Our sons r working now and is not living with us. One of our reason of getting into this is to give us to visit our kids easier and go to different places etc... Staying in hotel is not what we want.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Scoundrel

I have virtually the same travel trailer and looked at the Chevy Colorado and decided against it. I live in the Colorado mountains and it is just not enough truck to tow - or stop - my camper. Instead, I'm looking for a used 1/2 ton (Silverado or F-150). And just a fyi, my advertised 400lbs dry tongue weight (similar to yours) is upwards of 540lbs when my camper is loaded.

Hope this helps
Rich J.

Edit: I was looking at the 4WD which has less payload capacity than the 2wd.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #11

Thx HangDiver... good point too...
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3769.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	160586 honestly I have a Jeep now that’s a 2012 SRT8 and it’s only rated for 5000lbs but it has a 6.4l hemi and I’ve towed well over 7k with this 23 ft boat, 4 passengers and a bunch of gear, coolers, ice, beer and bait!! It might not have the height for wind drag but the width makes up for it. The Jeep I have is very heavy which does give it An anchor feel when towing.. I have also towed an enclosed autohauler by landmark to the drags and tournaments with a z06 in it and a bunch of tools spare wheels etc. It does real good especially breaking and passing. The trailer is 25 ft long with the tongue.

The 6000 rated on the v6 I can’t answer but the 5000 on the SRT8 is way underrated for 2012!!! Go figure how they come up with all these numbers.. no difference in suspension engine or breaks but they upped the weight for the new SRT8. I guessed they let people like me be the test guineas for the real weights instead of SAE.

I did own a Colorado as well but of course not the new one it was a 2004 Napa sell back with the i5 cylinder 3.5 liter engine very strong engine for a single cab. It too pulled my boat the same one in the picture but it the truck wasn’t heavy enough in the rear/bed to plant the power it would just spin if you accelerate hard enough. I too used it with the big Uhaul trailer when moving the bro n law it was loaded to the max in the bed and so was the Uhaul trailer.. very impressed but speeds above 65 it would start to sway, that was simply due to improper loading of the trailer. I found that out when we went back for a second round and put more weight than the time before. This time we put it mostly tongue and axle vs axle and rear of trailer. We left and at 75mph had no issues same interstate and everything.

Look at the practicality of both
will you need a truck to haul stuff you don’t want to put in the back of the Jeep let’s say mulch?
Will you buy 4x4?
Will you add to you fun later like a canoe or bikes?

You get the idea? The Colorado’s and or canyons are nice but the jeeps are also fun in their own way!!

Good luck [emoji256]
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #13

Blender, thank you.
Our RV is scheduled to pick up in April. May be I will wait till February or even early March to see if there is any other discount from Chevy or Jeep. I think a light pick up truck may be the way to go for now.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #14

Of course, man if you could wait until memorial weekend for your TV you could save a lot of money.. maybe they can deliver your RV and when the clock is in your side pull the trigger..

However it might not be a good idea either because you will be looking at your RV and probably fall for the worst deal ever because you want to go out camping.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
Scoundrel

I buy and sell cars and trucks as needed. Regardless of what vehicle you buy, your best opportunity for a better deal from a car/truck dealer will be between now and the 1st week of March. After that, income tax returns spur the buying market and dealers are tough on buyers.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #16

Our Palomini TT weighs in at roughly 3100 lbs loaded. We towed it with a 2001 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L V6 and a 4.10 rear end for the first couple of years. It handled it fine although we weren't going to burn up any mountain passes. It was the capability of the Explorer that largely drove our first trailer purchase. We also knew we would only be keeping the trailer for 4 or 5 years. We have since replaced the Explorer with an 2015 F-150 and the performance is much better. I also get better all around non-towing gas mileage. Having the F-150 is letting us upgrade to a trailer than better fits our needs now that we have learned what they are from the Palomini. Once loaded I expect our new trailer to come in between 4.5K lbs and 5K lbs (UVW of 3700). Well within the capabilities of the truck. If we had been in the market for a new truck when we first started looking at trailers I would have gone withe F-150 right off so we wouldn't have to replace the TV when it was time to buy a new trailer. So my opinion is you would be better off with the larger tow vehicle as you should be able to keep it should you decide you want a larger trailer down the line.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseeweb View Post
Thanks for the reply. I lean towards the Colorado. Any suggestions about different in terms of 2wd or 4wd? Does it matter? I think the grand Cherokee has a lower ground clearance. Worry about driving on rough country road?
Without knowing your needs for the vehicle when not towing, I can only say that I have never found a need for 4WD. I live in an area where we get lots of snow and I commuted 37 km each way to work on rural, county roads. In 40 years I only got stuck 3X and missed only a very few days due to inability to travel. (Somehow my luck had me caught at work instead of home when the bad weather hit). I'd rather have the extra payload with 2WD.

But, to your question, I've towed smaller TTs with small GM pickups, V6, I5 and 4cyl. Only one TT was a double axle, all were 4000 lbs GVW or less. One was a very light 5th wheel (the one in my avatar).

I was very happy with the older (pre 2016) Colorado/Canyon. I don't know anything about Jeeps other than the ones I drove in the army.

Do your research, do the math and enjoy!!

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #18

Add to my previous

I agree with what Keith H said about the F150. We now have a 2011 F150 with the 5l V8. Lots of power, more payload and gas mileage same or better than the Colorado/Canyon. Maintenance and insurance not appreciably different. And what a great price we got 'cause it's 2WD and no one wanted it. Their loss- love that 1690 lb (per door post sticker) payload.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #19

I am towing a 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS with my 2015 Chevy Colorado V6 Z71. I am using an Equilizer WDH which provides good leveling / weight distribution and anti sway. The Colorado almost seems like it was made for towing. Gas mileage is averaging between 7 to 10 mpg depending on terrain. In Florida, it is getting about 11 mpg. The weight of the trailer when it is loaded and ready to go is close to the limit at 6800 lbs and the tounge weight is close too at 660 lbs. Braking is good, no issues. While driving in I-75 traffic I feel a bit of a push from passing traffic, but nothing serious enough to produce the "white knuckle" effect. I have had the rig on the road during 35 mph crosswinds with gusts up to 50mph. I do not take the rig above 65 mph.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #20

Max weight of that trailer is just a tad under 3900 lbs. Loading TW will be 450-500 lbs. As long as you get whatever HD towing package is necessary to get the max ratings, either of those 2 vehicle would serve you well. For potentially heavier trailer in a few years, I'd go with the mid-sized pickup, with 1000 lbs more max rating. It also has less sheet metal, so probably more payload capacity.

Which one might come down to what you'd prefer when NOT towing. Pickup or SUV. But as someone else said, put a top on the pickup bed, and that takes care of that.

Don't let anybody talk you into a 1/2-ton pickup for less than 4000 lbs of trailer. Past experience from 15 year-old vehicles with antiquated powertrains are like comparing apples and oranges to today's mid-sized pickups and crossovers.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, tow vehicle