Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #21

Good Thinking

I also have the KarKaddy. Two years behind a 40' diesel pusher and now 2 years behind a Forester 32' motorhome. How those straps loosen up so much and so fast . . . don't have a clue. There have been times at freeway speeds, the strap came totally off and laying next to the tire. That's why the safety chains around the vehicles axles are extremely important. And then the safety chains crossed from the dolly to the tow vehicle. And good thinking about installing a hitch on your car. I installed a hitch on my Sonata. If things are tight at a campgrounds, I'll unhook, take the dolly to the spot 1st, before taking the motorhome to the spot. Also, you back up a foot maybe ! ! I've got in a few tight spots and rather remove the car, lock the wheels so they don't track and back up the motorhome. I have gone down dead end road once thanks to my GPS and had the wife take the car with the dolly to a good place to reattach everything behind the motorhome. Flexible . . . as in all camping . . . be flexible ! ! Enjoy
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
Can you include a pic of the tire straps when done this way . I also have this happen with a Buick Verano . I intend to try this on my next trip soon.
No pictures available.
I sold the dolly a and bought an old Saturn that I could tow 4 down because of several issues including the issue with the straps and the dolly.
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #23
Chief tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-B View Post
Another thing to check is before you do your first tow is that the straps holding the front tires on the dolly are not rubbing ..With the straps centered on the tires the inside strap rubs on the suspension(cut part way thru the strap .
We had a rubbing problem with the strut tower as well. They make nylon sling protectors that are designed to protect load straps from damage from cargo. Amazon carries it by the ft. My first set of straps were "lasso" style and I slid it over the end and down to where it needed to be. My second set of straps construction prevented me from sliding them on so I had a local upholstery shop sew it over the sling. No more wear.
Nylon Sling Protector Sleeve (2" Slings) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U6PC07A..._IWV-AbHJ2DE0T

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #24

New to all of this. I went on our maiden voyage with tow dolly, when I arrived to RV park I was shocked to find the straps lose and nothing holding the Prius in place. My solution was to re-thread the sling that goes around the tire , through the bottom hole on the back strap of the tire. Tightened down nicely, then stopped about 5 miles to tighten just a little more. drove home 120 miles , and the straps were still tight. The issue is all in the back strap. the straps are made for larger tires! So by shorting the the overall diameter of the strap you will be able to tighten the straps onto the tire. OF course the remainder of the strap is sticking up in the wheel well. May just cut it, but not sure , what the future in-stores. I may get something with bigger tires . O and towing it was a breeze. And I am not building up mileage on the Prius odometer.

Just keep in mind,do not get into a situation that you may have to back up. If you do take the car off! You can google on yutube, not a good idea backing up with toad attached to the RV, takes lots of practice!

happy trails