Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

First Weigh/Long Haul for TT

Ok, go easy on me, I’m a novice. Went on long camping trip (other than a few short local trips this past fall) more than fully loaded (lots/too much firewood in the front storage compartment of TT) and did a single weigh-in. Fuel and propane tanks were full and traveling with my wife, adult son, and dog with limited cargo in bed of truck.

Unfortunately, my family was not patient enough to let me do three weighs as I should have, so, here is all the data that I have.

Tow Vehicle (2010 Tundra 5.7L DC)
GVWR 6,900 lbs
GAWR (Front) 3,900 lbs
GAWR (Rear) 4,100 lbs
GCVWR 16,000 lbs
EZ Lift WDH - 2 chain links engaged per dealer instructions

Weigh Results (fully hooked up WDH engaged)
Front Axle 3,140 lbs
Rear Axle 3,940 lbs
Trailer 5,900 lbs
Gross Wt. 13,000 lbs

TT Specs (Surveyor 291BHSS)
Dry Weight 5,896 lbs
Payload Capacity 1,848 lbs
Hitch Weight 744 lbs

With this set-up, I am 180 lbs (2.6%) over my GVWR; the axle weights are within specs. In addition to forgoing the firewood, I’m wondering if I need to try 3 chain links on the WDH to put some more weight on the front axle of the TV and TT axle.

I traveled 400 miles each way which included the stretch over the Smoky Mountains between Knoxville and Ashville with some pretty steep and long up and down grades (by eastern US standards) and had no difficulty climbing at a good steady pace or slowing down. On a couple of occasions, a passing semi did cause a little noticeable sway, but nothing that I would describe as “white knuckle.” My only other observation was a some porpoising on rougher back roads. All in all, I was very pleased with how the rig handled.

Any suggestions other than what I have mentioned and also getting three weighs next time out? I’m not looking to upgrade my truck to a ¾ ton at this time.

Thanks
sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

What are your empty axle weights? It's hard to tell if you've added or subtracted from either.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

I do have a weigh of truck with only me and full tank of gas and no cargo (does not include others in the truck as when I went camping and weighted):

Front axle 3,060 lbs
Rear axle 2,540 lbs
Gross Wt. 5,600 lbs

Does this help any?
sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

I think it looks good. You don't want to put to much more weight on the front axle than when unhitched. Ideally according to Toyota you want the same front axle weight hitched and unhitched. But since the Tundra rear suspension is so softly sprung I do transfer a few extra pounds to the front and also have Firestone air bags to help with the sag.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote