Old 03-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Bigger is better these days. Or at least it sells more trucks...
Not talking size, just sitting high.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not talking size, just sitting high.
Well, I was referring to all dimensions when I said bigger. They are bigger, higher and wider than ever before.

taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #13

3/4 and 1 ton trucks have always sat high in the rear. I'm guessing to allow for travel when loaded. Mine sits high empty, but perfectly level with 5th wheel on it.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
3/4 and 1 ton trucks have always sat high in the rear. I'm guessing to allow for travel when loaded. Mine sits high empty, but perfectly level with 5th wheel on it.
1/2T's do too, and IMHO look goofy. I've leveled all 4 I've had. Don't even like cars that are high in the rear. Getting ready to figure out how to lower TOWTA's old junker in the rear.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #15

I've seen more than a couple 1/2 tons that sit higher than my 3/4.

My trailer sits high in the nose.
No wish or need to lower the truck so a lift kit for the trailer is in order.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #16

Mine is level loaded too. My previous 250 was level unloaded and squatted when loaded though due to the 2" shorter blocks and lack of overload springs.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:
My 1/2T was 1-1/2" higher in the rear when new, I made longer rear spring shackles and now it sits level unloaded and with the "illegal 5er" on it.

Don't understand why 3/4T's have to sit so high all the way around.
I want to lower the rear of my Ram 2500. One option is shackles, but that would only gives me about 1-1/2-in. There are no blocks to remove like some trucks. I certainly can't see lowering it 6-1//2-in with a flip kit. They look pretty cool with a 4 - 6 drop, but can't see the practicality of a truck that can't be driven in some places. I have wondered about remove one or some leaf springs and add air bags when I haul. Actually I never haul heavy anyway. What you think OC?
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I want to lower the rear of my Ram 2500. One option is shackles, but that would only gives me about 1-1/2-in. There are no blocks to remove like some trucks. I certainly can't see lowering it 6-1//2-in with a flip kit. They look pretty cool with a 4 - 6 drop, but can't see the practicality of a truck that can't be driven in some places. I have wondered about remove one or some leaf springs and add air bags when I haul. Actually I never haul heavy anyway. What you think OC?
Depends on how much you want to lower it. I just don't see putting a lift kit on a trailer when lowering the truck is so easy.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Depends on how much you want to lower it. I just don't see putting a lift kit on a trailer when lowering the truck is so easy.
Problem is if you lower it it may very well sag and be out of level. No point leveling the trailer if it throws your truck out of level in the process. Lifting the trailer is cheap and easy. Also, if your truck is under warranty, lowering could cause issues in the event of a failure.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Problem is if you lower it it may very well sag and be out of level. No point leveling the trailer if it throws your truck out of level in the process. Lifting the trailer is cheap and easy. Also, if your truck is under warranty, lowering could cause issues in the event of a failure.
I just use air bags to get back what it lowers when loaded. No pain, no strain, best of both worlds. Longer shackles will not void a warranty, at least it hasn't on the 4 I've had.