Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Flat towing my Jeep Wrangler

I have a question about flat towing my Jeep Wrangler behind my Georgetown. The vehicle weight of my Jeep is just under 3000 pounds. It seems that most state laws don't require suplemental braking if flat towning under 3K.

I still feel more comfortable adding something to the Jeep that will apply the brakes when I am braking.

I am new to all of this and I have seen some supplemental systems in the market place but I would love to hear from those that do this all the time.

I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
I use Blue Ox's brake system when towing my Jeep Cherokee. It utilizes a steel cord that pulls the brake pedal on the jeep under heavy braking

tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #3

You may be correct when you state most state laws don't require supplemental braking under 3000 lbs, BUT.........

the additional weight of your Jeep, even if it is under, will not be something you'll want to add to the equation if Bert & Ethel pull a bone head move and pull in front of you!!!!!!

I've driven back and forth from Ontario to Florida several times, and IF you look far enough ahead, and Bert & Ethel aren't on the road with you, I've done the trip without the Brake Buddy kicking in to assist. There have been times when the traffic lights play their game, and I'me glad it was there. And.........if you were unfortunate enough to have an accident while you have a toad, I'm sure the insurance companies will do their best not to "back you up" if they feel the situation could have been avoided.

Better to be safe than two cents!

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote