Old 12-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #11

For me, after towing a trailer for many years, I bought a MH so I would not have to tow at times.
Set it up correctly and you will be happy. Towing brings about it's own burden.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Site Team

For this discussion, it is critical that everyone mention the RV model when asking a question or proposing a solution, What will work on the rear of a large MH will destroy a 26ft ultralite TT. If the frame rails are not strong enough to handle the load it doesn't matter how well it is welded or what grade bolts are used, it will destroy the RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #13

Carrier

Unless you have a freightliner or Spartan or some other air ride chassis with a pusher in the back of it I don't think that the ford with all that weight behind the wheels would be a very good idea even with fabrication and a Chevy would be even worse I looked into this years ago to haul a golf cart behind pusher and pull toad also very expensive when ordering the carrier made for my coach right much fabricating even for a pusher changed my mind in the end bought a truck for toad and put golf cart in truck
Old 12-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

Thanks "Camaraderie" that is now requirement #1. I am moving towards not getting this thing, I want to just get up and go, this looks like a big anchor or at least a PITA.
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

HW... I think the single wheel Swivel Wheel fold up would be ideal for what you want to do with the MP3 (BTW..Piaggo makes great stuff) ...but it is pricey. Other than that it has none of the drawbacks of standard trailers & tow rigs. Well...in any case...good luck with the decision making. You have a GREaT scooter dealer in SelectCycle/Scooternerds near you if you haven't made your decision yet. I'm to your east on the water...good scoot/mp3 territory.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #16

"camaraderie" my first scoot was 1964 Sears Allstate two cycle Puch, couldn't afford a car, still in HS and living on my own. It was fine for town but NJ Watchung Mts almost made it go backward. Longest day of my life then was when a friend and myself went from Martinsville NJ to Cape May. No Parkway, had to do Rt 9, only grace was it is a flat ride and no headwind or rain. Took all day, threw it in the car and drove back, coward that I am. HS chicks loved it. No more long trips just plenty of dates. Traded it in on a Bug eye Sprite. Haven't decided yet on exact model need to keep thinking and learning. Next I'll get a NC motorcycle then try some on for size. Are you a dealer or just a fan? Thanks for you thoughts.
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #17

Scooter rack

Good evening, I have a 3170ds and i installed a hitch mounted rack that carries a df moto 200 cc scooter the scooter weighs approx 350 lbs. The warring ramp i purchased on a chance ( i lucked out so far) from discount ramps on line ( very easy. The rack and system works very well. No wobble very steady. And leaving Long Island NY its not a very smooth ride. any questions just reach out. i will take some picture in am. Thank you travel safe
Old 12-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #18

Wow....you do go back on the scoots. Very cool.
I've only been doing it 2 years and loving it. Did a lot of research before we bought our two (Stella & Vespa150) so went to a lot of dealers around this state & va. I'm a very big guy so not everything I liked on paper fit in real life. NO dealer affliliation...just felt scooter nerds was the best in NC & ScootRichmond was the best in Va...in selection, people and service. G'bro was just too far away so I bought locally...then THEY went out of business. I've come to value a good local dealer service dept since I don't know very much and have to load the bikes on the RV & take 'em to Richmond now when they need more than an oil change.
Nice thing about NC is that you can take a paper test to get your learners permit then you have a full year you can play before taking your riding test...just can't ride 2 up with the learners. There's a great scooter site based out of Minneapolis that I found most helpful when trying to narrow down my choices...lots of complete reviews & road testing. Just Gotta Scoot Home Page
That may help you a bit. Best....Cam
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
For this discussion, it is critical that everyone mention the RV model when asking a question or proposing a solution, What will work on the rear of a large MH will destroy a 26ft ultralite TT. If the frame rails are not strong enough to handle the load it doesn't matter how well it is welded or what grade bolts are used, it will destroy the RV.
Very critical.
I once mounted a motorcycle rack to the front of my small hybrid TT behind the propane tanks.
Carried about a 300 lb m/c. I moved the spare and other storage to the rear and lowered the batteries below the rails.
Only reason I did this was because it had a solid box frame. If it was channel- no way. Towed for about 10 years like this- did great.
About 420 lbs of tongue when loaded completely on a 3500 lb unit total.

Tested this setup first with the m/c on the back (about 350 lbs complete with rack) Tail wagged the dog. Not enough tongue weight.

In my case now, I already have a 500/5000 hitch on the rear of my Chevy 4500. Setup for 500 lbs now just on the center receiver.
I am fully loaded about 3000 under max weight for this rig. (10130 partially loaded on a 14000 lb max)
Adding 500 lbs to the rear will probably just smooth out the ride.
Just started measuring out the receiver tubes and locations.
Should be done in a few weeks of weekends.

Tags
frame