Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Followup to Rockwood Sway Problem

Back in early July I posted about a problem with sway on our 2015 Rockwood Ultralight 2608WS. We thought the issue was with the way the hitch was configured (front end of trailer was much higher than back end of trailer). We got the hitch readjusted as close to level as possible and with the proper load on the front and rear tires of the tow vehicle.

We are now able to travel much better with the camper but there still seems to be a lot of sway. Someone had posted at one time saying that our camper model doesn't have the best suspension in it (the way it is built) and this could cause some wobble going down the road which makes the sway worse. So I was wondering if the following might help our problem.

In the
tntbream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

Sorry...not sure why the last part of the post was not there....

In the most recent Camping World circular are two items I was hoping might help our problem. The first is the Roadmaster Suspension Solutions Anti-Sway Bars, which are installed on the camper axles. The second is the Joy Rider Suspension and Sway Restraint System which looks like shocks that are also installed on the trailer axles.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these items and do they help with sway problems?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
tntbream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
DDC

Hensley Mfg., Inc. - Trailer Sway Eliminated...Guaranteed

Have a look at this, it or the PRO-Pride is the only way you can 100% stop sway, all the others claim to help control sway these just don't allow it to happen, been using ours since the mid-nineties move it each time we get a new trailer, it is not cheap up-front but safety never is.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

We have a 2013 2608ws and I can tell you from two years of pulling and 6000 km. They do tow different than anything else I've ever pulled. We have had a Reese dual cam from the start but at first only 800# bars. In the wind I had to go to 4 and once 3 links to settle it down. I have now moved to 1200 # bars and this has made a huge difference. I can tow at 5 links comfortably now. I find this trailer gets tongue heavy quickly due to keeping weight off the trailer axles over all and the heavier bars get weight back up front on the truck. I have road master active suspension on my work truck but our new TV ( both 2013 ecos) has max tow and I haven't found a need to move it. I can tow now at speed without cramping my hands. I have ordered the v shaped wind deflector for the back of the trailer and will install them this year, they are supposed to make the trailer track better and improve mileage and are used on highway trucks and trailer. I'll see how that helps.
We tow mainly from Calgary to BC and it's mostly winds and mountains.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, sway