Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Although I'm quite sure Government Motors scripted/planned/manipulated that video where the outcome was the way the wanted it, it does illustrate the downside to aluminum vs steel.

I was never concerned about aluminum in general, however, for a work truck that takes a beating through normal use, the aluminum isn't going to withstand as much.

I can see other manufacturers concede to aluminum in the future due to positives outweighing negatives. I'm sure it will the the greatest thing since sliced bread when they adopt it. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope. I have a personal friend I have known for years that is a stunt man out in Cali. He was one of the guys in the hard hats. He said it was all legit and they were even surprised about the results.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #82

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Ford received the largest government bailout in history 25 years ago with the faulty C4 transmission recall.

https://asavagefactory.wordpress.com...ut-in-history/

It was Chrysler that also had a bailout then with relaxed safety standards and also given several more years to pollute with leaded fuel. The Chevy Suburban we owned caught fire due to faulty Turbo Hydormatic transmission spraying Dexron 2 fluid all over the undersized red hot catalytic convertor. GM bought the POS back and replaced it due to poor engineering practices.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #83
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
It was Chrysler that also had a bailout then with relaxed safety standards and also given several more years to pollute with leaded fuel. The Chevy Suburban we owned caught fire due to faulty Turbo Hydormatic transmission spraying Dexron 2 fluid all over the undersized red hot catalytic convertor. GM bought the POS back and replaced it due to poor engineering practices.
So what's your gripe? Never heard of Ford buying back their piles of rust .
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #84

Just buy a 2016 F 250!

2015 XLR 29HFS Toy Hauler
2016 Ford F250 Power Stroke
2007 Harley Softail Ddeluxe
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #85
Tom

What about the independent crash test when your lower extremities were crushed in the Chevy and weren't in the Ford.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #86
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And people think the aluminum body wont rust!!! Lol.
I've seen more aluminum corrosion on fords than rust on other stuff (well Toyota might have more) in the collision shops I've worked at.
Heres some some aluminum corrosion pics for all the Ford guys.
And the guys up north and on the coast are really going to see issue quick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466129572773.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	111325   Click image for larger version

Name:	1466129585567.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	111326  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
And people think the aluminum body wont rust!!! Lol.
I've seen more aluminum corrosion on fords than rust on other stuff (well Toyota might have more) in the collision shops I've worked at.
Heres some some aluminum corrosion pics for all the Ford guys.
And the guys up north and on the coast are really going to see issue quick!
Is there a solution down the road? The industry seems to be going that way...

What is your insight?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #88
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Is there a solution down the road? The industry seems to be going that way...

What is your insight?
I haven't seen any discussion about that yet.
We have had extensive training on how to replace panels and what to do to repair, but nothing on corrosion except to not cross- contaminate with steel working tools, and fasteners can only me used one time, before their protective coating is useless.
Its a new area for all of us. I just feel really bad for the people that have them and get in a collision. The repair times will take a long time and most shops are not equipped to work on them. We have 8 shops, and only 1 is ford certified and has the tools to work on them.
( and for what its worth, all the Internet rumors about gm or Chrysler having aluminum bodys....we had ford training months before the release of the '15 f-150, and we in the undustry have had no info stating that this is actually happening. We receive multiple collision publications a month, and nothing has indicated this is going to happen.
Granted 2025 cafe' regulations mandate a 52mpg fleet average for manufacturers.....i haven't heard anything reliable stating more aluminum bodies are coming out soon.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #89

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Just don't like like Chevy. Also keeps you on your toes!!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #90
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Chevy made an aluminum motor block once......the Vega. Big mistake.
Their mistake was using a cheap steel head gasket that rusted out and allowed coolant into the silicon infused cylinders which resulted in instant seizure. The engine itself was a great little engine that performed really well. The car itself incorporated several innovations that resulted in exceptional handling and performance.
The technological limitations of the time created areas around the windshield and hatchback that allowed water to gather and rust to form. This, IMO, was the greatest weakness of the Vega.
I remember the howl sent up by the Corvette owners when it was discovered the 77 Vega GT had a Corvette steering wheel!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I haven't seen any discussion about that yet.
We have had extensive training on how to replace panels and what to do repair, but nothing on corrosion except to not cross- contaminate with steel working tools, and fasteners can only me used one time, before their protective coating is useless.
Its a new area for all of us. I just feel really bad for the people that have them and get in a collision. The repair times will take a long time and most shops are not equipped to work on them. We have 8 shops, and only 1 is ford certified and has the tools to work on them.
( and for what its worth, all the Internet rumors about gm or Chrysler having aluminum bodys....we had ford training months before the release of the '15 f-150, and we in the undustry have had no info stating that this is actually happening. We receive multiple collision publications a month, and nothing has indicated this is going to happen.
Granted 2025 cafe' regulations mandate a 52mpg fleet average for manufacturers.....i haven't heard anything reliable stating more aluminum bodies are coming out soon.
My neighbor is in the "auto" paint industry and has been moving Spies Hecker and currently Standox products.

He also said what you did about corrosion back when they were preparing for the Ford body change.

Here, all I thought about was that somebody would cut off my quarter panel for scrap metal like they steal catalytic converters.

It's a brave new world for Ford at this time. LOL
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 AM   #92

I drive a 14 F150, The reason....the back seat when folded up, accommodates my three big dogs better than the Ram or Chevy. In the real world most P/U owners dont haul cement blocks. Most P/U owners use it for daily commute and moving the occasional piece of furniture

Every vehicle has its strengths and weaknesses. I grew up in the rust belt and most C-10s, after a few years, had to have their rocker panels, cab corners & door bottoms replaced due to rust.

GM in the 70s tried to use aluminum bumper reinforcements to save weight in their passenger cars. Trouble was they bolted them to a steel bumper shocks, mix in some salt spray during the winter and after a few years the bumpers were literally falling off.

My next vehicle may be a GM product, then I will tell you how bad Fords are yep the Mustang 2 was a great idea
Moose61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford