Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

For those nay sayers...

Just wanted to post a picture of my land train... I've had a number of people tell me it flat out couldn't be done and even if it could be done it wouldn't be legal...

Well after a trip down the interstate in fair winds the truck pulled as if there was nothing there... minimal to no sway in wind or when anyone passed. I was able to tow at 70mph no problem, although my general trailering speed is 62, just stating it is capable.

On the trip I stopped at a weigh station not only to just weigh in but to speak with a secondary state trooper. I spoke with several on the phone saying this would be fine but suggested watching to not exceed the trucks ratings although there was nothing they could do about it... Regardless the trooper at the station weighed all axles, none of which exceeded any ratings and measured the overall length to right at 66' long.

In Nebraska due to the rv being attached we are exempt to the length law as well as the weight law...

Just wanted to show it can be done. It can be done while still being safe and legal... I would definitely towing tandem with a dodge and a dodge only though!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Daisy duke and ski.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	33555  

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

So, what is that you're towing behind the boat trailer? An auxillary fuel tank maybe?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Single place jet ski... total weight of 800LBS with fuel in it... need a trailer behind it with extra fuel to keep that dang thing on the water though!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Always Learning

I'm very surprised that it's legal to double-tow with a travel trailer. I'd always read that the first trailer had to be a fifth wheel. But, I guess that goes to show that each state's laws are different.

Do you travel to the surrounding states? Do you know their state laws with regards to double-towing?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm very surprised that it's legal to double-tow with a travel trailer. I'd always read that the first trailer had to be a fifth wheel. But, I guess that goes to show that each state's laws are different.

Do you travel to the surrounding states? Do you know their state laws with regards to double-towing?
Depends on the state you're in. Its legal in Louisiana and very common. I have many camping buddies that do it with no issues. Set up on the rear of the camper has to be done correctly, but once that's done, no issues.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

don't bring it into MO, they will tag you. Double in MO is legal if first trailer is 5th wheel or gooseneck. I am not sure on KS, but it is probably legal there.

And that jetski does not weigh enough to move that SV305 around. Can you see it at all when it is back there?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Yes, there are a number of states that require the front trailer to be a fifth wheel, but many of these are along the coasts. Nebraska and many of my neighboring states do not state a rule there. However they do state that if any of the trailers are over 3000 lbs they must have brakes and a brake away system applied. I don't tow this very far as we are with in 2 hours of every lake I'd ever intend to take this to...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
don't bring it into MO, they will tag you. Double in MO is legal if first trailer is 5th wheel or gooseneck. I am not sure on KS, but it is probably legal there.

And that jetski does not weigh enough to move that SV305 around. Can you see it at all when it is back there?
I don't believe this is the case in Missouri, although I wil confirm it for you.

Nothing in section 304 of the Missouri code specifies that truck-trailer combinations must be in this configuration. I do see more people doing this in the last few years so they may have changed it since you were informed of this regulation.
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Just wanted to post a picture of my land train... I've had a number of people tell me it flat out couldn't be done and even if it could be done it wouldn't be legal...
just stating it is capable.
none of which exceeded any ratings and measured the overall length to right at 66' long.

In Nebraska due to the rv being attached we are exempt to the length law as well as the weight law...

:

This above statement is incorrect.
65' is max .
You are not exempt from the legal length law of Nebraska.
The trooper you talked to was misinformed.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:

See it? are you kidding? That's the only negative to the whole land train... I can make out a shadow of it sometimes depending on the time of day! or when making a hard turn!

It does trail very nicely behind and as you said the 305 doesn't know its their and neither does the truck... not enough weight to make a difference...

I actually had the spare tire mounted to the rear bumper of the camper when we picked it up from the dealer... I have since removed it and looking for a suitable manner to install it under the tongue of the trailer. With removing it I felt it was safe enough to install the hitch to the bumper. I plan to keep an eye on it and if it appears to weaken at any point it will give me the perfect excuse to the DW to rip it off and build a nicer one with some decent storage for light weight stuff...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
See it? are you kidding? That's the only negative to the whole land train... I can make out a shadow of it sometimes depending on the time of day! or when making a hard turn!

It does trail very nicely behind and as you said the 305 doesn't know its their and neither does the truck... not enough weight to make a difference...

I actually had the spare tire mounted to the rear bumper of the camper when we picked it up from the dealer... I have since removed it and looking for a suitable manner to install it under the tongue of the trailer. With removing it I felt it was safe enough to install the hitch to the bumper. I plan to keep an eye on it and if it appears to weaken at any point it will give me the perfect excuse to the DW to rip it off and build a nicer one with some decent storage for light weight stuff...
my spare is under the tongue, hangs off the battery tray.

I decided to look up MO law to see what is does in fact say. So far, the one thing that stands out is a reference to federal law limiting all towed combinations to 65 feet. That is of course federal motor carrier code, still looking to see if there is a catch all that places the burden on private carriers.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

my spare is under the tongue, hangs off the battery tray.

I decided to look up MO law to see what is does in fact say. So far, the one thing that stands out is a reference to federal law limiting all towed combinations to 65 feet. That is of course federal motor carrier code, still looking to see if there is a catch all that places the burden on private carriers.
Yes 65' max no exceptions.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #13

I spoke with our area state trooper leader on the phone and he told me as well as the trooper at the weigh station the RVing world was exempt to the length law "within reason" he said... They both used that phrase and they also stated if it looked dangerous or was swaying they could stop it and force it to be un done... I am in the works of getting that in written form so I can carry it with me to help plead my case.

Jeep, when you get a chance could you post a pic or two of how your tire mounts under the tongue... I'd really like to get it done as I don't really care to throw the tire in the bed of the truck all the time...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I spoke with our area state trooper leader on the phone and he told me as well as the trooper at the weigh station the RVing world was exempt to the length law "within reason" he said... They both used that phrase and they also stated if it looked dangerous or was swaying they could stop it and force it to be un done... I am in the works of getting that in written form so I can carry it with me to help plead my case.

Jeep, when you get a chance could you post a pic or two of how your tire mounts under the tongue... I'd really like to get it done as I don't really care to throw the tire in the bed of the truck all the time...
Nebraska Dept. of Moto Vehicles
402-471-0105

Call and ask for trooper Brian about rv towing length limit.

Your not exempt.
And no "within reason" clause either.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #15

I will get it out next week, but think of the mechanism that holds your tire under the bed of your truck, same deal.

OK - looked more closely at MO Motor Vehicle Code, here is what I found:
The 65 foot length restriction applies to "any towed combination." There are no exceptions. However this only applies on "primary" and interstate highways, otherwise the limit is 55 ft, no exceptions.

Any single vehicle cannot exceed 45 ft, this includes RV's.

The towing requirement does not stipulate that the first towed vehicle must be kingpin, however the MO Highway Patrol says it does...they are adopting the language that states "truck/tractor" combination and reading in the kingpin requirement. Bottom line, they will pull over and tell you that you cannot proceed, but I think they might lose the issue at trial.

The most interesting one to me is about towed vehicle vs. towed trailer. A towed trailer needs lights, but does not need brakes unless it over 3K lbs. Interestingly enough, they need safety chains but there is no requirement for a break away brake device. However the code states that any towed "vehicle" must have an operating braking system. This would mean that if towing a car, regardless of weight, it has to have an operable braking system when towed. I know this does not match other states.

As with many things, what the law says and what you can get away are often quite different.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #16

Turbo, you've made your point clear... It's definitely not a 65' length law from the feds because CO you can run 70' legally...

As I stated... and have yet to argue with you... from what I have been TOLD I am exempt. I have yet to seen it WRITTEN that I am truly exempt...

So please... cut me a little slack...

I haven't gone out telling everyone else to hook up triples have I?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:

As with many things, what the law says and what you can get away are often quite different.

That's a funny yet true statement... I used to be one to try and push the rules and fight them all the time... I have become much more lazy I guess and would much rather just o bide by them anymore...

I have never seen of or heard of someone being forced to stop and un hook a rig that was over length... But I am trying to push to find out just how far I can go with this!

To me, this can be done safely as I have the proper hitching, weights, weight distribution, sway control, wiring truck, experience and blah blah blah to do it... but we will see...

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbo, you've made your point clear... It's definitely not a 65' length law from the feds because CO you can run 70' legally...

As I stated... and have yet to argue with you... from what I have been TOLD I am exempt. I have yet to seen it WRITTEN that I am truly exempt...

So please... cut me a little slack...

I haven't gone out telling everyone else to hook up triples have I?
Sorry if I've come off rash

Your telling people its ok to tow over a length limit that your exempt from in your state.

I'm stating that its not legal to tow over the max towing length of 65'

Don't misinform if your not sure yourself.

If you get a statement from n-dot I'd love to see it .

Turbs
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #19

OK - because apparently this is more interesting than what I was doing today, I tracked down the length restriction language for MO and the federal DOT.

I could not find a link I could publish external without giving the whole thing, but if you have several hours of time to kill, here is the actual law that governs the Interstate Highway system:http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE...-96-Pg2097.pdf

The length limit actually comes from 49- USC 2311 and what it says in relevant part is that no state can enforce a length limit on Interstate highways less than 65 feet. The option is clearly open for a longer length limit.

Section 304.170 in Missouri incorporates indirectly that language as the stated maximum for "primary" highways and Interstate, but the actual length limit on all other roads is 55 feet. And while the federal law is aimed at motor carriers, the MO law is applicable to "all towed combinations", ie private and commercial.

Class dismissed.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #20

I do stand corrected! I thought I posted it as from what the trooper had informed of is that we were exempt. After speaking with a handful of the trooper here in the Nebraska office I apparently have stirred the pot as many were thinking RV's were exempt to weight and length. I then spoke with the area leader and they said flat out the length needs to be AT OR UNDER 65' in the state of Nebraska. They did say some states were longer and some were shorter. They said the bumper pull to a bumper pull trailer configuration was completely fine but needs to be under 65'.

so at the same time I want to strangle you turbo I want to shake your hand...