Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
For those with Equalizer 4pt

I can't find my manual and don't have an easy place to make adjustments, so hoping one of the hitch gurus here can help me out with a quick answer.

Which is best to put more down force on the front wheels of the tow vehicle?:
1. adding a washer
2. removing a washer
3. raising the "L" bracket a notch
4. lowering the "L" bracket a notch

I was told to just raise the "L" bracket up one hole, but not sure if that is correct.

Reason I'm asking is the front normaly sits slightly higher than the rear by about an inch which seemed acceptable, but on a recent trip we added 300-400 lbs more gear to the trailer and the effects were visible (raised front approx another inch higher) and felt in the steering (light) and ride (bouncey).

TV: '15 Ram 6.4 Hemi CC 4x4
Old TT: '12 Rockwood Roo 19 (sold)
New TT: '14 CR Sunset Trail 290QB
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
equalizer web site has a manual you can down load, in my case adding a washer and or taking the spring bar up 1 hole took the front end down.

2011 greywolf 26 bh - equalizer 4p
09 f150 super cab 4x4

pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
This manual is in the Files section.

To answer your question, it's preferable to keep the spring bars level so keep that in mind.

Add washers first if your spring bars are already level. You should have 4 to 8 washers but if you are already at 8 washers you can raise the L-brackets one hole.

The L-bracket adjustment is easier to do when it's only a temporary change, too, so you might consider that if you don't always carry that much extra weight in the truck.

Hope this helps.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Thanx Pip,
When the dealer installed the hitch he had lowered the "L" bracket to the lowest hole and said it would be better for my setup, but that was unloaded. Now that we are loading it up it seems to not be balanced anymore. I'll try adjusting the "L" up one hole to see how that does.

I was trying to figure out the physics involved and where the force vector would shift after moving the brackets, washers, etc, and my head almost exploded...LOL.
TV: '15 Ram 6.4 Hemi CC 4x4
Old TT: '12 Rockwood Roo 19 (sold)
New TT: '14 CR Sunset Trail 290QB
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Right. Whatever you do, keep the bars as close to level as possible, in order to have surface-to-surface contact beween the bars and the L-brackets. If you life the L-brackets too much, the bars will ride on the front edge of the L-bracket, and you will quickly start wearing the bars. This will increase the friction level, creating even more wear, creating more noise and further increasing friction. It's a visious circle that will end up having so much fore-aft force on the L-brackets that the move/twist on the frame.

Ask me how I know...
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote