Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #71
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
There was no difference between what I pay for insurance on a 2015 and what I would have paid on a 2014 F-150 other than that due to vehicle age differences. Many of the web videos and auto magazine articles that claim aluminum is higher to repair are flawed in they repaired them the same way they would steel. They banged out the dents and used fillers which is not the way your typically repair aluminum. A couple have even come out an admitted that the repair costs were similar and in some cases lower when you use full panel replacement common for aluminum body repair.
Our shops (we have 6 independent collision centers and are building 2 more) have our sheet metal rate between $46 -50 an hour, aluminum is almost twice that and is in th $90+ range per hour. And we only have 1 shop out of the 6 that has the many thousands of dollars of dedicated aluminum equipment and its own repair area and the certification to repair the '15s and up.
Aluminum cracks and tears where steel doesn't for alot of the same damage.
It's a nightmare for collision damaged 2015+ ford owners right now..... better make sure you have an extra vehicle or several months of rental coverage!

Old 01-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
It's still the #1 selling truck for like 30 years plus. Obviously people like what they're offering or else they wouldn't be buying them. Ford Does seem to be the Guinea pig venturing down new paths that the others don't. I think it's great, others may be skeptical. I do see a mess of these ecoboost around hear and everything I've heard has been great. And i see ALOT in the campgrounds I visit.
X2 Also Ford innovated out of the recession rather than taking a handout like GM and Chrysler/Benz did.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #73
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
They'll be carbon fiber soon
Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Our shops (we have 6 independent collision centers and are building 2 more) have our sheet metal rate between $46 -50 an hour, aluminum is almost twice that and is in th $90+ range per hour. And we only have 1 shop out of the 6 that has the many thousands of dollars of dedicated aluminum equipment and its own repair area and the certification to repair the '15s and up.
It's a nightmare for collision damaged 2015+ ford owners right now..... better make sure you have an extra vehicle or several months of rental coverage!
I agree with you on Aluminium repair issues, with GM and FIAT Ram moving to aluminium the industry to be in for auto work would be this exact market.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #75

Composites like carbon fiber are easier to fix than aluminum... However... the material is a bit more expensive to begin with... ... Actually... a LOT more expensive...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM   #76
Left Coast

Better to invest in scotch-brite....only polish required
Old 01-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2 Also Ford innovated out of the recession rather than taking a handout like GM and Chrysler/Benz did.
LOL, Ford borrowed money like the other 2 did, just for different reasons.
How would Ford have fared if they hadn't borrowed 5.9B to retool? Would they now be behind the other 2? Can't have it both ways.

Ford Motor Co. Does U-turn on Bailouts
Old 01-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #78
Left Coast

Since Ford [ if) is the best seller, we need to be glad!.......Makes all the others more affordable.....so keep on buy'n 'em!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #79
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I agree with you on Aluminium repair issues, with GM and FIAT Ram moving to aluminium the industry to be in for auto work would be this exact market.
Im hoping the others will be smarter about it and leave the aluminum to the bolt on panels.....i guess we'll see.
Unfortunately composites and more aluminum is how its probably all going to be in the future. And more parts will be replaced instead of getting repaired.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Thanks for illustrating my point.

That said, I dig the idea of corrosion resistance, living in the northeast (where plain old rock salt just wasn't good enough, so we started using salt brine on the roads a few years ago, and body/frame rust has accelerated ever since.) I assume Ford's frame is still made of steel, and the body is aluminum bolted on? Anyone have any insight as to what happens where steel and aluminum are bolted together?

I like the idea of carbon fiber--lighter, stronger, and rust-free. It's just that initial cost that stings...

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford