Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #21

I have a 6.0 in my F250. Oil coolers in these do get clogged. Some believe it to be because of the additives in the Ford Gold coolant. Go to the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum and you can learn everything you need to know about the 6.0 (and any other Ford truck for that matter). I had my EGR deleted, new oil cooler, new stand pipes, new dummy plugs and installed a coolant filter. Had the coolant flushed and refilled with some Extended life coolant which does not contain any additives that could clog up the oil cooler. Also updated the fuel pressure spring (blue spring). This was a total of around $2300. At this point, I have a very reliable truck. If I were to do some other modifications to make this truck a hot rod, then studs are a necessity. Otherwise, my mechanic (who only works on Powerstroke diesels) says its not needed.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Incheon, S. Korea

That's what my friend talked about, almost word-for-word.
Also just got this;
"The stock bottom end of a 6.0 will only maintain about 580HP. If he's going that crazy he needs to put the Ford factory "blue spring" in the fuel bowl. This will aid in boosting fuel pressure needed by an aggressive tune."
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
The torque specs on the 6.0 is not done with torque, it'd done in degree.

Actually its a 3 step process and the proper way to do it is using a streach gauge. Because unless you have one of the newer high dollar torque wrenches with degree settings, you will not get it completely to spec, just close. Given the issues with torque to yeild bolts failure rates (likely due to being out of spec streach), every person I talk to that does lots of 6.0 work will only do it with a high dollar torque wrench with degree detection or prefreable a streach gauge so they can assure its to spec and do not get a come back.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

The 'Blue Spring' upgrade apparently is needed to maintain correct fuel pressure as to not starve your injectors and cause major $$ repair. It's a cheap and easy mod. I did mine for under $65. The ARP head studs are an excellent idea IF the cab or the heads are coming off. Do it once and forget it. Then you have a nice wide array of tuner choices available without fear of lifting the heads and blowing out the gaskets. IMO, I would simply buy a ScanGauge II and monitor the entire system for under $160 before fixing a good running truck for $4,000 plus, but hell it's your money, spend it as you see fit. In any case, do the coolant filter mod. It's also cheap and easy.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
Pirate Todd and Wench

Search the Ford 6.0 on the internet. Look at the Ford forums on the subject, read the law suits against ford. After all that decide for yourself if the heads are good or not. The oil cooler is overworked when it's asked to "also" cool the "exhaust" to be returned to the turbo charge...aka EGR. If it breaks..or I should say when it breaks the result can and in many cases become "catastrophic" causing an entire engine failure....and leaving you sitting a few hundred feet from your oil spatter on the interstate. I for one am taking preemptive measures to protect my truck, those who choose not to are taking a chance I'd rather not take. Big baron....as a fellow Johnny Carson fan, I appreciate your input! lol It's just that I have personally witnessed close friends who are very careful with the same truck as mine and have had "major" meltdowns as a result of the weaknesses in the 6.0. The tuner as I said earlier is NOT for performance...at least not to me. It's about tuning the engine for economy and being able to get the "boost" ford gave it for competition with other makes out of it's program unless I need it...saving fuel. The tuner also takes the place of the EGR signal and tells the computer all is well...even though it's gone. The tuner certainly gets a bad reputation for causing failures in these and other engines as it can "if you stupid enough" let the engine destroy itself. That's not my plan though...the tuner is for the proper "Navistar designed" operation of the 6.0 that runs around the country in most school buses today. I actually feel sorry for Ford, a great American motor company, who at the hands of the EPA is being put out of business with the other manufacturers by having to comply with it's ever increasing standards. BTW, fords new 6.4 has only been on the road a few years and has made that reputation turn around slightly. Just now coming to light however is another huge problem for them in that the new 6.4 is making oil! Yes, it's making oil! Apparently a new way to reduce emissions is to inject fuel at the end of the power stroke allegedly reducing emissions. Whats happening though is the unburned fuel is accumulating in the crankcase. This mechanic I'm using has drained the oil on a few of these trucks to find upwards of an extra two gallons in the crankcase. If you own a 6.0, you'd better read up on them and decide wether your going to fix it, or deal with it later....your choice, but when "it" decides when your going to do it is just not good to me.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Actually its a 3 step process and the proper way to do it is using a streach gauge. Because unless you have one of the newer high dollar torque wrenches with degree settings, you will not get it completely to spec, just close. Given the issues with torque to yeild bolts failure rates (likely due to being out of spec streach), every person I talk to that does lots of 6.0 work will only do it with a high dollar torque wrench with degree detection or prefreable a streach gauge so they can assure its to spec and do not get a come back.
I do it in seven steps and has held up for me great.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #27

Long before the 6.0 engine was even something I paid attention to I lost all respect for TTY head bolts in racing, moved to ARP studs and never had an issue. and this was just semi high strung 4cyl VW motors. So when I heard about the TTY bolt issues related to the 6.0 and then a heck of a deal dropped in my lap, it was only logic that when properly tested positive for signs of head float we went directly to the studs, after all the heads where comming off anyway and who wants to chance having to do it again.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #28
Pirate Todd and Wench

The cab is off the truck....not long after this I got a call from the shop. The right side head gasket was nearly blown through from head lift...would never have made the trip alive! I'll get pics of that tomorrow. Only 65,000 miles of driving on this guys, and I baby it!

-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #29
phat phrog stunt crew

And I complained changing plugs on my brothers v6 cutlass when they were still rear wheel drive. The last plug on the right side was a bear to get to. But look how much space there is "under" the hood of a powerstroke. Sweet.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Incheon, S. Korea

Here's another for you gluttons of punishment... LOL
$16,000 SUPERDUTY F-250! Man Truck!
Nice looking shop. Amazing about the gaskets.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 2 cents, I had an 03 6.0 . 68000 mi blew egr cooler, so did studs,delete,turbo clean,coolant filter,3.5" turbo back mbrp exhaust ,.......$$. Drove it another 25000 mi. Restored my confidence. Hooked it to a 12000# toy hauler,n headed west. Made big horn pass in Wyoming, lost oil pressure. Traded it on a new Ram. FIX COMPLETE !!
Point check or replace hpop (high pressure oil pump) and low pressure pump when it ran , it ran very well. I sometimes miss my old 6.0. like every 30 days,when the check is sent to bank, for the cummins. Take care of it and it will serve you well. Good luck!!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #32

6 Litres like to be driven hard....like you stole it. You CAN'T baby a 6.0 and expect it to last. International Navistar used the VT365 engine which is essentially the same as the 6.0 and put them in thousands of buses without similar problems. Ford pumped up the HP and torque in the Powerstroke compared to the VT365. That's one issue. The other is the silicate laden Ford gold coolant. Navistar did not use that. They used an ELC non silicate version. The 6.0 pounds the snot out of the coolant and requires flushing and replacing at least bi-annually or 50k miles whichever comes first. Do yourself a favor and have the service tech switch to CAT ELC instead of Ford's. Later 6.0 have an upgraded HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump). They rarely fail although make sure your tech replaces the HPOP screen with a upgraded stainless steel version. The STC (Snap to Connect) fitting is a bad design in the later models and is a weak link in the high pressure oil system. There are one piece upgrades available. Good luck with the repairs and believe it or not these engines can be made practically bullet proof. These repairs will cost you a mortgage, but now is an opportune time to get it all done at once. Check this link!
Ford Powerstroke 6.0L - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Programmers, Intakes, Exhaust
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #33
Pirate Todd and Wench

I get ya rattle, coolant system is being douched out good and switched to the good stuff as well. The list of things they are doing is a little long, and I forget some things I guess, but a full tilt bullet proof "bus engine" is what it's being turned back into. HPOP is getting an updated fitting as well....it's cause of failure. ....I think the bumper of the truck is actually beginning to bend into a smile! lol But my wallet is very, very sad!
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #34
Incheon, S. Korea

So silicate residue at the EGR is what blocks them? I'd believe it. We used to seal historical stained glass windows by dripping a silicate solution over them for a month or more. The silicate just "grows".

And the link you provided-definitely diesel guys. They AIN'T English teachers!

"The Ford Powerstroke 6.0L diesel is one of our most popular diesel trucks that we sale products for." (sic)

edit - I e-mailed them about the typos and they IMMEDIATELY e-mailed back a "thank you" and offered to send me a free t-shirt! They are a class act!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #35

I've done many sets of 6.0 heads and gaskets, Ford warranty, c/p, TTY factory head bolts and arp head studs. Never have done one with cab off.....
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #36

This Bill Hewiit guy is a love or hate him type of person and talked about all over the Powerstroke forums. In any case, he has a bunch of good videos describing what goes wrong and what to fix on Powerstrokes. If nothing else, it is easy to watch educational videos. Heat is the killer of the 6.0. Keep the fluids clean and keep it cool is the key to a good running 6.0 engine. The 06-07 models are actually pretty good in stock form as Ford did a bunch of updates by then. But it was too late to save face as Ford had huge black eye problems.

Anyway, check this out to get educated. POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics
You can buy a 6.0L Ford relatively cheap, get the work done for 5-7 grand and be half price of a new 6.7L Ford. Afterwards, you can then tune the 6.0L and don't have a DPF or have to run DEF fluid.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #37
Pirate Todd and Wench

I started this thread with the work that needed done on my 6.0 so here is the final results;
I picked up the truck a day before my 2500 mile round trip to the keys. The tuner was set on "tow" to help with performance, economy and shifting patterns. Towing my 3008 Windjammer never gave me above 10 to 11 miles to the gallon before the work, but I averaged 13 through the whole trip. Not a huge improvement but that's not the point of why the work needed done. The power increase was "phenomenal" and something I'll have to train my foot to stay away from to preserve the longevity of the truck. The truck performed flawlessly through the whole trip and and the famous (before the epa screwed it up) 6.0 actually felt free to be what it is....one great engine!
It should be noted that Ford did have to go the extra mile "again" for the EPA and as I was informed by a neighbor I was camping beside in the keys....he had a 2013 Ford power stroke. He average ""8"" miles to the gallon on his trip, he paid 55,000 dollars for his truck, and by the time I told him my story, he wished he bought an 06-07 and had the fix done. I out performed his truck with raw horse power and torque, I had nearly twice the fuel mileage as his, and because I care for my truck with great passion, it's hard to tell it's an 06 except for the body changes. So please tell me EPA supporters...how the heck is 8 miles to the gallon saving our environment over 13 miles to the gallon?? Be sure to take into account the cost and pollution of burning nearly twice the fuel in your calculations please!

The work on the 6.0 can be done with the cab in place. "However" Dijoeboss, imagine the time and effort you save doing the work with the engine and trans "wide open" with total access to everything! The time it takes to remove the cab and having the proper equipment and personnel experience in it saves in the end around 8 hours of labor according to the shop I used. The mechanics that did my repairs showed me first hand the value of the cab off job. Everything they took off was steam cleaned to factory new including the entire engine and transmission, gasket surfaces on the block had total access for cleaning, new gaskets, placement and fit of the heads, oil cooler egr delete, and torquing and inspection. When you pop the hood on my truck now it looks like "2006" underneath now.
In summary, and in agreement with the link samysabre posted; Do yourself a favor and buy something for "half the price" and with "twice" the fuel economy, aka an older model Ford. I'm more than happy with my truck now and when it's provoked will literally smoke the doors off anything on the road while burning less fuel....go figure? lol
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #38

Quote:
I'm more than happy with my truck now and when it's provoked will literally smoke the doors off anything on the road while burning less fuel....go figure? lol
Are you sure about this statement?

BTW, glad you got'er workin' good now. Enjoy, the 6.0 is a great motor when it gets straightened out.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
and when it's provoked will literally smoke the doors off anything on the road while burning less fuel....go figure? lol
the track at milan raceway opens apr 24th, we just run for fun, bring it up and we shall see about blowing doors off.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #40
Denver, CO

Just as a point of information, EPA sets "standards" based on health research, and the mfg do what they need to to meet them. A poor design is not EPA fault, and lots of diesel mfg. have met the std without fuel economy or reliability issues. The 6.0 was a poor execution, thats all.

I personally think the health research leading to the "std" for diesels is bogus, but that is a whole other question.

I have an LBZ duramax so am spared all these issues...