Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

I have an LBZ duramax so am spared all these issues...
you realize you have a EGR system, that puts lots of junk in your intake..little diff design then a 6.0

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #42
Denver, CO

Yep I do. Hasn't hurt nothing yet. Bone Stock pulling less than 10K, no worries. LOL. None of these oil burners are perfect, but there are consequences when you mess with stuff that ain't broke.

I DO mess with my 2001 VW TDI tho. VR6 clutch, Thorsen Diff, chip, injectors, Bilstein's and SRS suspension, etc. 165K miles and counting, 40+mpg and pretty peppy

It keeps me from messing with my Chebby.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Yep I do. Hasn't hurt nothing yet.
pull your resonator (that thing with the 6.6 on it) and take a look inside, then you might change your mind, or get a borescope and poke it into the EGR cooler inlet. you will be surprised how much stuff gets thru from the PVC, and cooler. sorry for the derail...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 01-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #44

mrtodds, I'm glad you got the bugabooz out of your 6.0. They are great engines when running right and the last of the Ford diesels to actually be wrenched by Harry the home owner.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
Pirate Todd and Wench

tranzamz9, I guess what i meant was it'd blow the doors off anything "stock"! lol I'm not running competition here, not even planning on using the "Anarchy" mode the tuner has in it. I understand the EPA setting "standards", but it is in fact those same standards that have moved most of our manufacturing overseas...now we are healthy and broke.
I've worked in many, many manufacturing facilities in the material handling field...now a days we "tear out" manufacturing conveyor systems, and install distribution systems for the most part. This has all been to emission standards changing every year and companies spending millions of dollars on scrubbers....only to find they are outdated just two years later. They have no choice but to cut and run. Did you know as of this new year we cannot manufacture and refine lead? Yes "lead" like batteries and stuff...that kind. We have to ship it to China so they can do it for us...like everything else now. Yes the EPA didn't "make" Ford make the mistakes they made, but they did force them into experimental technologies along with GM, Dodge, and everyone else. Today when you go to buy your new diesel truck be prepared to pay the piper for that new technology, get half the mileage, and pay more for diesel than any other fuel...even though it's the easiest to refine. The EPA needs to work on common sense requirments...not ones that shift our jobs overseas is what burns me up. China doesn't have an EPA, and they are here on earth as well! lol Hang on to that truck garbonz, the Duramax and Allison are a great power plant for sure, I used to have an 02....kinda wish I kept it.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #46
Retired May 2015

Bulletproofing 6.0

Own a 2005 6.0. I wanted to be proactive so I contacted bullet proof diesel in Mesa, AZ. They have a great website and have been written up in Diesel mags and Trailer Life. I did the updated EGR and the remote oil cooler (one of the weak links). Have since had ARP head studs done including head check and surfacing while upgrading other known 6.0 shortcomings from Ford. I run a K&N airflow kit. I got rid of the plastic CAC tube using Ford steel replacement. Have your mechanic check the cac hoses and clamps. If the clamps have staple holes in them, insist on new ones. These are weakend by removal and reinstall action since most techs sock them down with an air ratchet rather than torquing to specs. Gauges are important, pyro and trans temp, I also added a voltmeter. While you are at it install a deep transmission pan. I decided not to install a chip as the hp and torque is very adequate. I tow a 38 ft Sierra GVW of 14,400. I only have 55K miles and 90% are towing miles. We will retire in 14 months but who's counting? Want to have everything done by that time. Only other issue may be. Turbo cleaning. Due to low mileage the turbo may have rust. Good boost but it throws an underboost code if not on the pedal, like a long down hill run. I carry a code reader and it has come in handy for doubling checking codes and erasing them. PS I just added a Sinister water filter kit. Easy to do. Some say it is not needed but I sell construction and agriculture parts. $150 well spent.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
I started this thread with the work that needed done on my 6.0 so here is the final results;
I picked up the truck a day before my 2500 mile round trip to the keys. The tuner was set on "tow" to help with performance, economy and shifting patterns. Towing my 3008 Windjammer never gave me above 10 to 11 miles to the gallon before the work, but I averaged 13 through the whole trip. Not a huge improvement but that's not the point of why the work needed done. The power increase was "phenomenal" and something I'll have to train my foot to stay away from to preserve the longevity of the truck. The truck performed flawlessly through the whole trip and and the famous (before the epa screwed it up) 6.0 actually felt free to be what it is....one great engine!
It should be noted that Ford did have to go the extra mile "again" for the EPA and as I was informed by a neighbor I was camping beside in the keys....he had a 2013 Ford power stroke. He average ""8"" miles to the gallon on his trip, he paid 55,000 dollars for his truck, and by the time I told him my story, he wished he bought an 06-07 and had the fix done. I out performed his truck with raw horse power and torque, I had nearly twice the fuel mileage as his, and because I care for my truck with great passion, it's hard to tell it's an 06 except for the body changes. So please tell me EPA supporters...how the heck is 8 miles to the gallon saving our environment over 13 miles to the gallon?? Be sure to take into account the cost and pollution of burning nearly twice the fuel in your calculations please!

The work on the 6.0 can be done with the cab in place. "However" Dijoeboss, imagine the time and effort you save doing the work with the engine and trans "wide open" with total access to everything! The time it takes to remove the cab and having the proper equipment and personnel experience in it saves in the end around 8 hours of labor according to the shop I used. The mechanics that did my repairs showed me first hand the value of the cab off job. Everything they took off was steam cleaned to factory new including the entire engine and transmission, gasket surfaces on the block had total access for cleaning, new gaskets, placement and fit of the heads, oil cooler egr delete, and torquing and inspection. When you pop the hood on my truck now it looks like "2006" underneath now.
In summary, and in agreement with the link samysabre posted; Do yourself a favor and buy something for "half the price" and with "twice" the fuel economy, aka an older model Ford. I'm more than happy with my truck now and when it's provoked will literally smoke the doors off anything on the road while burning less fuel....go figure? lol
I don't know what the deal is with this guys 6.7 but I have never heard of anyone getting that bad of mpgs. With my F-350 I averaged 12.5 mpg hand calculated for a 400 mile trip to get my 42' fiver. I feel that is pretty decent considering I was empty going with a tailwind of 20-25 mph and loaded coming back into the wind. I was averaging 65-70mph. This is also with winter blend fuel and I believe it would do just a little better with straight #2 fuel. Come on spring so that I can get some miles towing and really see what the 6.7 will do!!

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Towing my 3008 Windjammer never gave me above 10 to 11 miles to the gallon before the work, but I averaged 13 through the whole trip. Not a huge improvement but that's not the point of why the work needed done.
Are you kidding me? Going from 10 mpg to 13 mpg is a 30% improvement!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
I don't know what the deal is with this guys 6.7
he has a 6.0 not 6.7

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #50
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
he has a 6.0 not 6.7
I was talking about the guy he was camping next to in that post with the 2013 that was supposedly only getting 8 towing. The 2013 is a 6.7.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #51

^^ my bad did not see that in his post.. guess i need to read the whole thing

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #52
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
^^ my bad did not see that in his post.. guess i need to read the whole thing

That's ok...when you drive a twin turbo oil burner, you tend to bypass stuff! ,)

Old 01-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
That's ok...when you drive a twin turbo oil burner, you tend to bypass stuff! ,)
lol, except the fuel station, police station, and tire shop...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #54

The 6.0 has decent fuel mileage when stock. Towing approx. 10-12mpg. Empty anywhere from 17-21mpg. Those numbers are from FTE forum members. Your mileage may vary. The 6.4 had WORSE numbers while the 6.7 was significantly better.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #55

Quote:
tranzamz9, I guess what i meant was it'd blow the doors off anything "stock"! lol I'm not running competition here, not even planning on using the "Anarchy" mode the tuner has in it. I understand the EPA setting "standards", but it is in fact those same standards that have moved most of our manufacturing overseas...now we are healthy and broke.
I've worked in many, many manufacturing facilities in the material handling field...now a days we "tear out" manufacturing conveyor systems, and install distribution systems for the most part. This has all been to emission standards changing every year and companies spending millions of dollars on scrubbers....only to find they are outdated just two years later. They have no choice but to cut and run. Did you know as of this new year we cannot manufacture and refine lead? Yes "lead" like batteries and stuff...that kind. We have to ship it to China so they can do it for us...like everything else now. Yes the EPA didn't "make" Ford make the mistakes they made, but they did force them into experimental technologies along with GM, Dodge, and everyone else. Today when you go to buy your new diesel truck be prepared to pay the piper for that new technology, get half the mileage, and pay more for diesel than any other fuel...even though it's the easiest to refine. The EPA needs to work on common sense requirments...not ones that shift our jobs overseas is what burns me up. China doesn't have an EPA, and they are here on earth as well! lol Hang on to that truck garbonz, the Duramax and Allison are a great power plant for sure, I used to have an 02....kinda wish I kept it.
LOL! I knew what you meant. Just keep in mind when saying that though, you are no longer stock either so you should compare apples to apples. Again congrats on the new found love of a mostly misunderstood motor.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #56
Denver, CO

Have you seen some of the inversions in Beijing? Cough Cough. We definitely need SOME controls, but the EPA does go overboard, in order to justify it's existence.. I know, I worked there as an automotive engineer in the 70's and early 80's. Got disgusted and left.