Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Ford 6.4L Power Stroke Excessive DPF Cleaning

Has anyone w/ a 2009-2010 Ford Super Duty w/ 6.4L Diesel had or is having excessive DPF cleaning cycles while towing their Cedar Creek or otherwise. Mine has developed a penchant for cleaning, averaging about 110 miles between cycles. If you have had this problem, what has been most effective in correcting it short of going with a different TV all together?

We are arriving Pigeon Forge today and don't look forward the mountain driving with the performance penalties associated with the DPF cleaning.

Let me hear from you 6.4 Power Stroke Diesel owners on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

here is what I would do:
H&S Mini Maxx/AFE DPF Delete Packages for 08-10 Ford 6.4L Power Stroke - Startin

My 6.0 does not have the DPF system, but the EGR system is enough of a problem to want to delete it.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A good place to search for answers may be on the FTE forum...here's a link.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #4

Yes, my 6.4L will regen that much while pulling hard in the mountains. On average, it gets 250-325 before regens, however, pulling 15k pounds in the mountains, the truck uses a lot of fuel and produces a lot of soot that is trapped by the DPF. You can also use an additive such as Diesel Kleen (gray bottle) that will help somewhat in controlling the amount of soot produced.
As the others have stated, the FTE site is very informative. I've been a member there for years and check it a couple of times a day..
If you delete the DPF and EGR coolers, you will have a noticeably different truck. I drive one that is deleted and tuned and my personal truck has only 17k miles on her so I am scared of deleting anything as of now to avoid voiding the warranty. Also, if emissions testing is required in your area, the truck will not pass after the deletes are done. You just have to put everything back on, test it and remove it again like a lot of people are doing.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

I have an '08 f250 6.4 and I experience the same. From what I understand, this is normal. Granted, mpg drops during regen, but as long as you don't lose power, and you allow it to cycle through the process, you should be ok. Also, check your tail pipes. They should remain clean with no soot.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
here is what I would do:
H&S Mini Maxx/AFE DPF Delete Packages for 08-10 Ford 6.4L Power Stroke - Startin

My 6.0 does not have the DPF system, but the EGR system is enough of a problem to want to delete it.
Hello Jeep! Got the X/Cs on the X and doing great! Thanks ! Sorry, now back to the orignal posts

Yes, make sure your tailpipes stay clean and don't get excessively blackened. That could be a sign of a bad EGR cooler among others.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

if its out of warranty just delete that stuff with a tuner....thats the quick n easy...and you dont necessarily have to tune it for rod spitting, headbolt blowing power....just use a real mild tune and delete the stuff....

im not sure on the EXACT specifics on a 6.4, but it seems to me that under high load towing you shouldent be getting that frequent of regens, as the high exhaust temp should allow for the passive burning off of soot....unless your truck is making a un ordinarily high level of soot for some reason?

btw, i use the mini maxx on my 6.7 with the DPF "ON" tune from kem.... even with the dpf, def, and egr intact i only get a regen every 300mi while towing...?...

you may find better answers on powerstroke.org or powerstrokenation.com
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Mikey, do you use an additive? I use the grey bottle of diesel clean on every tank and on my last camping trip I drove 1200 miles total (650 towing, 550 in the hills of N. Ga.) and I only saw it go into regen 3 times. It may have done it more, but as you know the light only illuminates for a couple seconds and can easily be missed.

Also, the hotter your exhaust, the better it is for passive regen. If you're lugging it around it will need to do a active regen sooner.

The other factor is the mileage on your 6.4. These DPF's do become more and more clogged over time with stuff that won't burn off. I've read some people have had to replace their's as early as 130,000 miles. I would remove and delete before I ever replace that POS.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #9

x2

dpf's do have a lifespan....if you had a tuner, you wouild be able to see the percent your dpf is full....that would help you know if its just clogged and the regens are not cleaning it effectively....

i get asked all the time why i have a min maxx and still have the dpf, def, and egr....i think its pretty simple....warranty, and clean....

i like to keep my warranty (my dealer knows about tuner and is cool fixing stuff it doesnt DIRECTLY break)....and i like having a diesel that makes no soot nor stinks up my shop/garage......the reality is that on these 6.7 you just really dont NEED another 200hp or 400ft/lb of torque....mine is around 480hp and 900ft/lb of torque at the rear wheels on a mustang dyno...why on earth do i need more??? cool yes, needed for towing...NO!...lol..

now when its out of warranty and if i start having issues with the emmision, then yes...im not replacing it.....its GONE!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Mikey, do you use an additive? I use the grey bottle of diesel clean on every tank and on my last camping trip I drove 1200 miles total (650 towing, 550 in the hills of N. Ga.) and I only saw it go into regen 3 times. It may have done it more, but as you know the light only illuminates for a couple seconds and can easily be missed.

Also, the hotter your exhaust, the better it is for passive regen. If you're lugging it around it will need to do a active regen sooner.

The other factor is the mileage on your 6.4. These DPF's do become more and more clogged over time with stuff that won't burn off. I've read some people have had to replace their's as early as 130,000 miles. I would remove and delete before I ever replace that POS.
Thanks Len

I had in the shop last week and had advised them that if they didn't have a legit fix that they would own it instead of me ( lemon law in TX). After three days in shop & road testing Ford had them change the DPF pressure sensor & reprogram again. The dealer under Ford's direction found it never completed a regen cycle. Everytime I shut it down & removed the key the computer would think everything was complete only to call for cleaning the next time the truck was started. So far, after about 300 mile it went into regen for about 18 miles & completed the cycle on its own, so . . . Maybe,just maybe they finally got er done. Time will tell, we're leaving for Elkhart in about three weeks, hope to see some improvement during that trip.

Thanks again for the tip on the additive, probable a good idea to include since this truck is around town more that I like.

Travel safe & enjoy your journeys.

Mikey
Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #11

Delete everything. but good luck with the tuner all the company's are being hit by the EPA so they are not producing any at the moment.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

There was TSB for excessive regens (12B33 I think), that I had done to mine, but mine was a '08. I would think your '10 should have been programmed, as indeed your above response indicates.

If you are thinking of a new TV, I will also tell you when I went from the 6.4L to the 6.7L, it was absolutely the best thing I ever did. The difference in pulling my 5th wheel was truly a whole different experience. If you're leaning that way, I could only support your leaning!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote