Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #1

Ford adding Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to 2017 lineup

First, let me say that I've been a Dodge/Ram guy for most of my life but this may be enough to lure me away. Give it a few years and all will probably follow suit but for now...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/...apple-carplay/
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Cool. I know it is also supposed to be available in some of the Dodge vehicles, like the Charger for 2017, but I don't know if it is ALL like Ford will be doing. Good on them.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

They be a day late and dollar short . GM already has. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
They be a day late and dollar short . GM already has. Later RJD
Good to see another brand updating!
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #5

Car Play/Chevy or GM

We bought a Chevy Colorado in November to pull a Rockwood Minilite 2304KS--not realizing it had Car Play until we started to look at mid size trucks. I tend to be techy, all Apple now after many years with Win, so was delighted. The truck is also my day to day vehicle so Car Play is used daily and loved--and when I disconnect, my Iphone reverts immediately to BT (must be paired)and continues. The ability to use Siri to use Car Play is a definite plus and there will be an upgrade for both the Iphones and thus Car Play this Fall.

One of my favorite things is being able to use Maps for directions while traveling while also playing music or some other program using Tune In app and have the audio directions continue while using both. Easy to go back to visual Maps also and have the music or program (or for that matter a podcast or audio book) continue in the background while seeing the Map app onscreen.

I should mention that incoming calls override any audio and are handsfree. You can also place outgoing calls handsfree--though I am strong believer in no phone calls while driving unless an emergency (Messages also come in and are audio so you don't have to look at the screen). Personally I chose not to subscribe to OnStar for wifi after the free period and find my Verizon wifi data plan to be sufficient. If you have children or others that may like to use their phones or tablets in the back seats, it probably would be a good idea.

The best part is its very intuitive and you don't have to be one bit techy to use Car Play and enjoy it.
Picnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #6

I have Apple Carplay in my 16 GMC. Works great! What is funny is that Ford uses Microsoft Sync. Microsoft and Apple are not friends. I bet that crap wont work well on purpose! LOL
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
I have Apple Carplay in my 16 GMC. Works great! What is funny is that Ford uses Microsoft Sync. Microsoft and Apple are not friends. I bet that crap wont work well on purpose! LOL
GM also offers Android Auto with Car Play which Ford will offer also--with the GMs it depends upon what phone is plugged in when you choose the Projection icon on your home screen in My Link format--then it will go to the Apple software/Car Play screen if an IOS phone is plugged in--don't have an Android phone to try but would assume it would open Android Auto as well. I'm guessing (without knowing for sure) that SYNC(developed in cooperation between Ford and MS) is the Ford equivalent of MyLink on GMs and it will switch to the appropriate software depending upon the connected phone. The Car Play screen in Fords looks identical to mine in my Colorado--Microsoft and Apple have cooperated a number of times so I wouldn't be concerned at all
Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picnic View Post
GM also offers Android Auto with Car Play which Ford will offer also--with the GMs it depends upon what phone is plugged in when you choose the Projection icon on your home screen in My Link format--then it will go to the Apple software/Car Play screen if an IOS phone is plugged in--don't have an Android phone to try but would assume it would open Android Auto as well. I'm guessing (without knowing for sure) that SYNC(developed in cooperation between Ford and MS) is the Ford equivalent of MyLink on GMs and it will switch to the appropriate software depending upon the connected phone. The Car Play screen in Fords looks identical to mine in my Colorado--Microsoft and Apple have cooperated a number of times so I wouldn't be concerned at all
I'm sure but I thought it was funny. LOL. One of my patients has said the Carplay in her new Ford 150 isnt working correctly and I told her that is was the MS vs Apple thing and how they hate each other. She was like . LOL

My Apple CarPlay works great! I love it when I travel.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

Eek indeed

That is funny LOL. Hope she gets it straightened out--or it may be user error, we all have had that too. I agree, love it--it was so nice to learn I had it when we bought the Colorado. Wouldn't have been a deal killer but still had to have decent sound and connection for the Iphone and/or IPad. It was icing on the cake to find it did--and I knew more about it than the dealer LOL.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

I have apple car play in my GMC and it's not all that great. Only a few apps work with it, however, one good thing is that you can read, send and reply to text messages without touching your phone.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford