Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #41

The OP, Scott Cooper, asked;
"Has anyone pulled with a ecoboost in the mountains? What type of rpm were you turning ? And what size and weight is your trailer?"

So what's with all of the posts that have nothing to do with the question?
Please, lets keep the clutter down, and stick to the subject.
Thanks a bunch!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #42

6th gear above 2500 with 7,500 + trailer and kit
Below 2500 5th gear with same trailer/kit and a desire to maintain speed at 55 to 60 miles.
At 2000 rpm it drops to 4th with the same trailer/kit and just hauls *****.

It doesn't matter what one drives or hauls with - what counts is that you do.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The OP, Scott Cooper, asked;
"Has anyone pulled with a ecoboost in the mountains? What type of rpm were you turning ? And what size and weight is your trailer?"

So what's with all of the posts that have nothing to do with the question?
Please, lets keep the clutter down, and stick to the subject.
Thanks a bunch!
You're correct, let's get back on topic
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #44

My friend pulls a 6800 lb (dry) KZ fifth wheel with his EcoBEAST, but he hasn't pulled it in the mountains yet.
But he said when he went through one of the big river valleys here, it only downshifted to 5th, and never lost one mph going up the other side. The grades are not posted, but from my experience in the mountains, I would estimate it at 7% minimum.
And he has lots of crap loaded into his camper, so I would say he is well over 8000 lbs gross. And he is getting close to 30 mpg (Canadian) empty, as long as he sticks to the speed limit. It does seem to be getting better as he gets some miles on the truck.
But it does like the gas when pulling, and he is down in the 12 mpg range, which would be about 10 on the US gallon.
He simply loves his new EcoBeast.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #45

I am towing a LaCrosse 301 with an 2011 EcoBoost. The EB has the max tow package with 3.73 gear. The trailer weighs just over 7100 dry weight and the last trip across the scales put it just over 8000 towing weight. We have been on the road now since mid may with two round trips through the mountains mostly off of the interstates in the Tn, KY, NC, Va and WV areas. I haven't found a grade yet I can't maintain my desired speed on. Currently running 10.3 mpg towing on our trip with about 2700 miles completed. I have no concerns up the grades but coming down the steeper grades has been a little tougher to learn. The tow haul mode and the transmission will manage the downshifting just fine to use the engine for the braking needed but I have started resetting my cruise control down to about 45 before beginning down the grades to better control the speed without using the brakes. I have not seen mine go over 2500 RPM before downshifting and have yet to downshift below 4th unless I get slowed down by other traffic or curves. I also tried locking out 6th gear in the mountains but didn't really see any improvement in performance or effidiency, the computer tells it just fine when it needs to downshift. When not connected to the trailer I run about 22 MPG at 55, when I do venture out on the interstate at 70 MPH the MPG drops to around 20. I am traveling with a small group who have similar size trailers. The only two who can maintain the mountains with me are the one with a diesel and the one who traded for an EB last month after driving mine. I do regret not waiting until the 2012's came out because I would really like to have the 36 gallon fuel tank, the Max load package and the 6 1/2 foot bed.
h60mo is offline   Reply With Quote