Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #1

Ford EcoBoost owners?

My friend is having some issues with his new EcoBoost, and I was wondering if anyone has similar issues.
The most serious is that the truck will shut down almost completely, without warning. He says that it sounds like it is running on one cylinder.
The computer did not throw a code, and the dealer cannot find anything wrong. Obviously, there is something very wrong.
He also noticed that it will downshift if he passes someone at a high speed and then lets off the gas. He is not in tow-haul mode, and not on cruise. And it doesn't just downshift one gear, it will downshift a couple of gears, apparently trying to slow him down.
Has anyone experienced either problem and/or had it fixed?
My friend really likes his truck, but these problems are no fun.
Thanks a bunch.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

ive heard of intercoolers and moisture problems, heard of turbo blow off valve having trouble to. either one can make trouble with out the CE light.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #3

I used to be an active member of this forum.
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Powered by vBulletin
Some of the members are very knowledgeable and will be glad to help out.
If anything has ever happened to an F150 they know about it.
There is also a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) section. Not all dealers are aware of all of the TSB's.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

There were a couple of reports of similar problems on the F150 Ecoboost forum on the early engines and the company was really baffled for a while. Haven't seen any new reports for quite some time. What year is his truck?
h60mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

My uncle works at a ford dealer and advised against getting a eco boost because they had a lot of problems. I don't know what they are, but can ask when I see him again.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The vast majority of Ecoboost owners are issue free and happy. The forums can give one a biased impression as you usually only hear about problems; any many are very vocal. Everyone I know that has one is delighted with it.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Definitely be cautious on reading the good and bad about anything on these forums.
Just like the complaints about faulty Ecoboost things, you'll also read about the same trucks doing feats like diesel trucks (not gonna happen).
Read from various sources before you make your mind up!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Just ask some techs or service advisors what issues they see. Theses are going to be REAL answers because they have to explain to the manuf. why they are fixing the problem under warranty and have to provide proof.
This is NOT my opinion, this is how any factory service works!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
My uncle works at a ford dealer and advised against getting a eco boost because they had a lot of problems. I don't know what they are, but can ask when I see him again.
That would be appreciated.
And Twisty, thanks for the link.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #10

You're welcome!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #11

Bakken
Here is a link to someone off of the EcoBoost forum who it sounds like had the identical problem. Maybe your friend could get on the forum there and ask what was done.
MY ECO-BOOST ALMOST KILLED US! - General Discussion - Ford Ecoboost Owners
h60mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by h60mo View Post
Bakken
Here is a link to someone off of the EcoBoost forum who it sounds like had the identical problem. Maybe your friend could get on the forum there and ask what was done.
MY ECO-BOOST ALMOST KILLED US! - General Discussion - Ford Ecoboost Owners
Unfortunately, that was what one might call an unreasonable person. And I am being kind.
My friend really likes his truck, and it pulls like his old diesel.
His problems are most likely just a computer glitch, and people like the example from the link are not helpful.
Hopefully he can get it resolved.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #13

Yes, hopefully he can get it fixed. Unreasonable? I don't think so. If I paid that kind of money for a truck and they couldn't get it fixed then yes I would be irate also. I bought a new demo car once that had the whole top end replaced twice and many more problems that happened in the first 8 months. Out of the 8 months we had the car it was in the shop a total of 92 days. Because we didn't buy the Extended warranty ford would not give us a loaner car nor would they help with the $500 a month payment to help offset the rental. I never one time got mean or irate with any of them. I did make a promise to myself that I would never buy another Ford because of it. I see the warranty service that Ford gives has not changed in the 20 years sense I owned that car.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #14

I only have 5800 km on mine and have not had the chance to tow yet either. The down shifting you speak of happens to mine also. It happens when on cruise. If i have it set at 110 for example and I press the gas to pass, when I let off the gas it will down shift a gear or two to get it back to the set speed. It will also down shift going down steep hills. This is not on tow haul mode either. The only thing that does concern me is when I frist start the truck and put it in reverse, sometimes it seems like the tranny slips and won't back up. But only for a few seconds then its good.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I hear that being turbo'ed biggest problem is people shutting down the engine soon as they get in from a big trip off the highway and letting the turbos boil the oil..
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

The turbos are cooled by engine coolant, not oil like on a diesel. I thought I read that it has a way to circulate the coolant after the engine is shutdown until it reaches a certain temperature.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
The turbos are cooled by engine coolant, not oil like on a diesel. I thought I read that it has a way to circulate the coolant after the engine is shutdown until it reaches a certain temperature.
That is correct. Oil lubricated of course but water cooled; with anti-coking technology. If I get into the throttle hard, I can see the coolant temp rise as the coolant removes heat from the turbos. In the winter, coolant temps can move around by 20 degrees; interesting to watch. You have to have a ScanGauge or the like to see it as the temp gauge on the dash is "managed" to not show the fluctuations. They'd have too many concerned calls otherwise from unknowing consumers.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
My friend is having some issues with his new EcoBoost, and I was wondering if anyone has similar issues.
The most serious is that the truck will shut down almost completely, without warning. He says that it sounds like it is running on one cylinder.
The computer did not throw a code, and the dealer cannot find anything wrong. Obviously, there is something very wrong.
He also noticed that it will downshift if he passes someone at a high speed and then lets off the gas. He is not in tow-haul mode, and not on cruise. And it doesn't just downshift one gear, it will downshift a couple of gears, apparently trying to slow him down.
Has anyone experienced either problem and/or had it fixed?
My friend really likes his truck, but these problems are no fun.
Thanks a bunch.
I'd be finding a different dealer.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
That is correct. Oil lubricated of course but water cooled; with anti-coking technology. If I get into the throttle hard, I can see the coolant temp rise as the coolant removes heat from the turbos. In the winter, coolant temps can move around by 20 degrees; interesting to watch. You have to have a ScanGauge or the like to see it as the temp gauge on the dash is "managed" to not show the fluctuations. They'd have too many concerned calls otherwise from unknowing consumers.
Can it keep the coolant circulating after shutdown until it reaches a lower temp? Is that the anti-coking tech. you mention?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri

Can it keep the coolant circulating after shutdown until it reaches a lower temp? Is that the anti-coking tech. you mention?
Turbo timer by bd diesel
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote