Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Ford Escape Factory Towing Package

I bought a 2010 Ford Escape V6 with the factory towing package (transmission cooler, hitch, electricals, etc.). Ford says it's rated for 3,500 pounds.

I want to by an RPOD 177 which is well under the limit, but the dealers tell me I can't use the factory setup. Ford says the factory setup is the only way I can tow over 1,500 pounds without voiding my warrantee.

I know everyone wants a 2" receiver for a travel trailer and the factory kit has the 1 1/4".

What can I do?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

My wife drives a mazda tribute which is basically a ford escape. We used it a few times to tow our former popup, a fleetwood and it weighed about 2000 loaded and about 1500 empty. The tribute has the V6 with automatic trans and factory installed reveiver hitch. The tribute had a terrible time pulling the camper on anything other than a flat road, going up hills was a problem as well as stopping without a brake controller. I would normally pull with my F150 but there were times when we had to use the Tribute and I did not enjoy towing with it at all. With the camper loaded, two dogs, one daughter, coolers, food, supplies, firewood, etc., the Tribute was maxed out.

You can tow a small camper with the 1.25 receiver but you are limited to toungue weight and total weight.

2006 Salem LE2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost Supercrew w/ factory tow package
Danielflading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Team

So, why not use 1 of these class II setups ?? : Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch Ball Mounts | etrailer.com Make sure it is 1 of the Class IIs, and not 1 of the Class Is.

Double check the sticker on the hitch. I should read something like "Class II, 3500 lb. maximum tow capacity, 350 lb. maximum tongue weight. Unless it is stated on the hitch, you will not be able to use a weight distributing hitch.

It is also a note on the Ford towing guide that the Escape is not wired for trailer brakes, which probably means that you have a 4 prong trailer plug. You would have to run wires for a Bargman plug which would inclued 12 volt, brakes, and backup lites (if your trailer has those), in addition to the current setup.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...rMntrMarnr.pdf

If Ford says that their setup will tow that much, then that should work......but barely. I am thinking on the lines of fodomke.......it is not going to be a pleasant experience.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

probably has to do with Escape's GCWR and a low hitch weight rating. that's why it only has the 1 1/4 receiver.

and it probably doesn't have the wiring for a brake controller. which leaves popups which don't have electric brakes. not sure what other smaller trailers have.

here's a quote from Ford Towing guide:

"3,5000lbs.- With Class II Trailer Tow Package.
Notes: • Certain states require electric trailer brakes for trailers over a specified weight. Be sure to check state regulations for this specified weight. The maximum trailer weights listed above may be limited to this specified weight,

as the Escape’s electrical system does not include the wiring connector needed to activate electric trailer brakes."

remember, that 3500lbs. rating would probably be for a cargo trailer w/o electric brakes. not for a RV.

Tags
factory, ford escape, towing