Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Ford Escape Toad?

I'm in the market for another vehicle and am looking seriously at the Ford Escape. From what I understand the 4x4 is towable 4 down, but the tranny fluid needs to be lowered before it is.

Are there members here that have Escapes as toads and can you comment on any negatives that you've encountered with using one? Positive comments are welcomed too!

We'll be towing it with a G'town 280DS.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Update..despite all of the comments , I did get a 2011 Escape 4x4 and we plan on making it our toad. The manual says to lower the tranny fluid and it even has a diagram showing the safe level. We'll have a dealer do it so there is a record that it was done.

Now to get the equipment for towing it. We need to do some more research but I think we're going with ReadyBrute braking system. It seems to be less expensive and I've not read any negatives assuming it's adjusted correctly and the hitch is level.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

We have the 2010 Escape front wheel drive and tow it behind the Georgetown. Yes you have to lower the transmission level and have it certified by a ford deler. You have to stop every 500 miles and let it run for 5 minutes and run it thru the gears. and finally, the max speed is 65 towing. A friend of ours didn't know about the lowering of the trans oil and had to replace the trans on a 2011 Mercury mairner. I'm not sure what you have to do for a 4 x 4.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote