Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

OK, so I've decided to go full-bore and get the exact truck that I want! I'm putting in a factory order for the F-150 Lariat Eco Boost with the 6.5' box, max tow, tailgate step, chrome package, etc, etc.

In looking at the options list, I see that the Nav system is a $2,300 touch here in Canada. Can anyone who owns this nav system comment as to whether it's worth the money?? That seems awfully steep to me.

Also, I was looking at the 20" rims Vs the standard 18" rims, and I was told that the smaller rims will provide a smoother ride and better towing characteristics. If this is true, I'll certainly stay with the 18" rims.

Can't wait to get the order in!! WooHoo!!

2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Something to consider in regards to the 18 vs 20" rims...the cost (and selection) of replacement tires. I seem to recall that they had an option avaliable for LT tires in place of the normal p metric...I'd recommend going for the 18" LT tires.

My opinion on the in-dash nav systems is that they're too expensive. I'd rather buy a decent dash mounted (portable) GPS unit...some could also be used for walking tours or hiking. There's lots of choices for them in the $100 - 300 range.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

In many cases, taller wheels result in lower tow ratings.....the increased diameter of the wheels and tires will effectively raise the overall drive ratio.

You can get a nice portable navigation system for about $100 to $200. The down side of a portable unit is that it takes up room on the dash or windshield. The upside of the portable unit is that you save about $17 a day if you need to rent a car because you are flying somewhere......I have done just that several times.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Dave, you beat me to the draw by a couple of seconds......the posted times are the same.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #15

The nice thing (and the only thing I can think of, quickly!) is that with the Nav system you get the much nicer rear-camera display (see below) otherwise you get the display in the rear view mirror. Is it worth it? You be the judge.

This

vs this

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #16

I just ordered the max tow ecoboost screw 5.5 foot to pull my 2010 north trail 31bdss. Dry weight is 6700. I was pulling with a 97 f150. It definately had its hands full lets say and thats on the prairies. Hopefully the eco does better.On another forum i am looking for a good anti sway hitch. To me this is the big factor. Of course braking much better with a 3/4 ton as well. When I bought the trailer I used dads sierra 2500 hd 6.0 single rear wheels. It swayed almost as much as my f150 but more power. I ordered the eco because I'm not in mountains yet and I don't camp enough to have a 3/4 ton the rest of the time. Years ago I towed a 24 flat deck with load and trailer around 14000lbs. The solution for sway was duals in that case. Day and night.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
The nice thing (and the only thing I can think of, quickly!) is that with the Nav system you get the much nicer rear-camera display (see below) otherwise you get the display in the rear view mirror. Is it worth it? You be the judge.

This

vs this

I actually prefer to have the display in the mirror.

When it is in the nav screen, you need to keep looking back and forth between the rearview mirror and the nav screen to see what is behind you.

Bean
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

In regards to tires, I ordered the 20s. True a low profile tire can't handle as much weight, I thought I would try it for the fact that the low sidewall might be less "mushy" and maybe make the truck sway less. This just a thought. I have no proof yet.
I got the camera display in the mirror too.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post

In looking at the options list, I see that the Nav system is a $2,300 touch here in Canada. Can anyone who owns this nav system comment as to whether it's worth the money?? That seems awfully steep to me.
Here's my pro/con list for an OEM NAV system ...

Pros:
  • Big screen.
  • Screen usually doubles as radio controls and back up camera.
  • Dash is clean of wires.

Cons:
  • Insanely expensive.
  • Poor updates unless maps are through a good service.
  • Updates can cost $. Toyota charges when you want to update and the updates are notoriously inaccurate, for example.
  • Safety features can lock out certain navigation features while you are driving (for your own good, they say).
Some of those may not apply to Ford NAV's.

I would probably not buy it again. On the other hand, going the other route means that you will need to buy both a GPS and a backup camera to duplicate the OEM parts and you will have a messy dash with wires everywhere. The solution there is to learn how to take apart your dash and hard-wire instead of powering up through the 12v lighter outlets.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #20

I already have a nice Garmin Nuvi GPS unit with a couple years' worth of favourites, routes, etc. that we've compiled. I also bought the lifetime update service because I also own a Garmin handheld and a Garmin bike GPS. 3 updates for the price of 1!

My other problem is that I'm stuck with the Ford GPS on the Lariat with the Premium package. They make it hard to avoid in the options packages.

2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote