Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Question Ford F-150 SVT Raptor as tow vehicle...

Anybody else out there using a Ford F-150 SVT Raptor for a tow vehicle? I was worried about towing my 2013 SP280BH with my 2010 5.4L but it seems fine. I'm using a Husky Centerline WD hitch and have installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension setup to help the rear end. By the way, I highly recommend the Roadmaster especially for the Raptor. The ride is better than stock even unloaded. My tongue weight is about 850 lbs. but the truck only squats about 1" in the rear and the front height is the same as unloaded. The whole rig handles great even in some pretty stiff side wind so I'm real happy. Was going to trade to an EcoBoost F-150 but it seems they are only getting around 9 MPG on average towing 7,000 to 8,000 lbs. and I'm doing between 9.5 and 10 MPG so far. I'm real curious to hear any thoughts or feedback from anyone with an EcoBoost F-150 as well.
mrfaatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
TeresaInCAL

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that set up. I went to ford.com, and according to the build area, for a 2013 Raptor, the max payload is 1180, and the max tow is 8,000. Seems your kinda at-to over the tow weight...
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that set up. I went to ford.com, and according to the build area, for a 2013 Raptor, the max payload is 1180, and the max tow is 8,000. Seems your kinda at-to over the tow weight...
Hi TeresaInCAL. I appreciate your comments. I agree that I'm hovering around +/- the MAX for this setup but there are many other factors beside manufacturers tow ratings that come into play when setting up to tow a trailer. The main concern with towing with a Ford F-150 Raptor is the lighter spring rate and off-road shocks. The Roadmaster Active Suspension System I've installed claims "The patented design eliminates bottoming out, axle wrap and wheel hop, greatly improves road handling by reducing sway and dangerous body roll on cornering, and strengthens the rear leaf springs for towing or hauling maximum loads with maximum safety." I can speak from personal experience that this system made the difference in my willingness to even try this setup. I am a strong believer in the Roadmaster system especially for the Raptor since it still allows the full range of suspension travel while drastically increasing the stability and weight carrying capability. The rest of the truck is basically the same as an F-150 rated to tow as much as 11,000 lbs. If at any time, I feel that I'm beyond the capabilities of the truck or my driving skills, I will certainly consider upgrading my tow vehicle. Thanks again for you comments and I look forward to hearing other opinions. Stay tuned!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

I've used a 2011 F150 5.0 with 1520 lbs payload and 7700 lbs towing for enough miles to learn my lessons. The truck pulls well. However, I am tired of getting pushed around by a 6200? lb TT.
I am going to buy an F350 to pull an Arctic Fox 32A.
"Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.): 7350
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 973
Net Carrying Capacity: 2077
Gross Dry Weight - Lbs.: 8323
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) - Lbs.: 10400
Exterior Length (approx. w / hitch): 34'4" "
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

I always though the Raptor was more of an off-Road and performance vehicle than a towing vehicle.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I always though the Raptor was more of an off-Road and performance vehicle than a towing vehicle.
JohnIII, You are so right! The trouble is, I bought the truck first. I really enjoy the new TT but struggle with giving up my Raptor. If you've ever driven one or get the chance, I'm sure you will understand my dilemma. It would not be my first choice for towing but then I only tow it around this area within a few hundred miles. Someday soon, I'm sure I'll need something more suitable when I retire and the wife and I head out for longer adventures...

2013 Forest River Surveyor Sport SP280BH
2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor (w/Roadmaster Active Suspension and Husky Centerline WD Hitch)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I've used a 2011 F150 5.0 with 1520 lbs payload and 7700 lbs towing for enough miles to learn my lessons. The truck pulls well. However, I am tired of getting pushed around by a 6200? lb TT.
I am going to buy an F350 to pull an Arctic Fox 32A.
"Dry Axle Weight (approx. Lbs.): 7350
Dry Hitch Weight (approx. Lbs.): 973
Net Carrying Capacity: 2077
Gross Dry Weight - Lbs.: 8323
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) - Lbs.: 10400
Exterior Length (approx. w / hitch): 34'4" "
Hey Twisty, Nice choice! I had a 2003 F-350 a few years back. If I knew I was going down this road, I would have held onto that one. The only trouble was the new 6.0L diesel. Too many problems with the early years. I don't know if they've even worked the bugs out yet but I'd probably look at a different option. Ford will still always be my 1st choice!!!

2013 Forest River Surveyor Sport SP280BH
2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor (w/Roadmaster Active Suspension and Husky Centerline WD Hitch)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #8

Thanks,
I'm gonna Boss it with the 6.2 gasser. I don't drive far enough to justify a diesel.
I've had the F150 2 years and just broke 11,000 miles last week.

"If I knew I was going down this road,..."
I would have skipped the F150!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

I don't own the Freedom Express anymore but still visit the forum often as I like the members that participate here.

I now own a 28' Jayco that weighs 6660 lbs camping-ready confirmed via Cat Scale. My TV is a 2012 F150 Ecoboost Lariat Supercrew with 6.5 ft bed and Max Tow package. I also have the Roadmaster Active Suspension on it and highly recommend it.

We just returned from a trip from Seattle down to San Diego via I-5. 2600 miles total under tow, and I averaged 11.4 mpg even factoring in the Siskiyou grade and Grapevine. Speed was kept around 60 mph and I did go balls out on the hills just because it was so fun. The Ecoboost is a fricking beast on the grades, and for the first time I really put it through its paces.

If I didn't tow I would have gotten the Raptor. The numbers OP may be iffy based on your trailer and the Raptor combo. I don't think the Raptor was made for towing something like that.

If you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them either on this forum or via PM.

N Scale Model Railroader
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #10

Unless you are part-time/full-time RVer, comparing the gas mileage while towing is the wrong approach. The efficiency of the Ecoboost comes into play when you consider that at least 90% of driving will be done without a trailer attached. In that condition, the Ecoboost will use much less gas than the trusty 5.4L.

I don't think that's enough to make you trade. But since you included gas mileage in your logic, I wanted to point that out.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

I would suspect the raptor suspension is much beefier than a standard truck, just softer spring rates. Air bags?
A Raptor TV would be awesome. Tow, set up, then go out and play!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

I tow about 7500 with my Eco-Boost, never have any issues with power. Never had any issues with controlling the load, the sway is very minimal. The mileage is decent, cant remember what I usually get. Going out tomorrow for the first time this year(just had a baby), I'll post my mileage here if you would like.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Unless you are part-time/full-time RVer, comparing the gas mileage while towing is the wrong approach. The efficiency of the Ecoboost comes into play when you consider that at least 90% of driving will be done without a trailer attached. In that condition, the Ecoboost will use much less gas than the trusty 5.4L.

I don't think that's enough to make you trade. But since you included gas mileage in your logic, I wanted to point that out.
Exactly!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #14

Don't have a Raptor, but had a 2005 FX4 with the 5.4L. Pulling was never an issue with my former Puma 29RKSS, and loaded, it scaled at just under 7,000 pounds (no fluids on board, of course). I had an Equalizer brand hitch on the back, and sway, whether in wind, or on busy interstates with heavy truck traffic, was rarely an issue. My main issue was with the constant gear searching, even on slight grades. It had a lower ratio rear end (somewhere around the 3.90 area, with sure grip differential), and would attain highway speeds quickly enough. I was just afraid I'd overwork the tranny, so that was my only reason for trading for a Super Duty.

Badlands
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
daydreaming about camping

The Raptor is designed for off-road endurance running. It has much softer spring rates designed to give a lot of travel, and has more than 2x as much suspension travel built in as compared to the regular F150. Most of this is actually up front.

It also uses heavier components in the drive-line including axles. The fact that is much heavier components than a regular F150, but a lower tow rating should tell you something. No doubt it will get the job done, I see plenty of them towing snowmobiles, 4 wheelers etc. But keep in mind that the greater the suspension travel the more possible sway can be induced. The truck is designed to have the axles move a lot over uneven surfaces.

I would suspect that by adding RAS which reduces suspension travel and firms up the spring rate, you have basically reverse engineered what the SVT team did. You have taken out the compliant spring rate for off-road use and gone with a more traditional spring rate. Which basically just gives you the handling dynamic of a block lifted F150.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfaatz View Post
Hey Twisty, Nice choice! I had a 2003 F-350 a few years back. If I knew I was going down this road, I would have held onto that one. The only trouble was the new 6.0L diesel. Too many problems with the early years. I don't know if they've even worked the bugs out yet but I'd probably look at a different option. Ford will still always be my 1st choice!!!
The 6.0 is long gone. Ford has gone through the 6.4 and is now using a 6.7. Both the 6.0 and 6.4 were International engines; the 6.7 is manufactured by Ford. It is a completely different animal and has been a very dependable engine as a whole. It does use DEF, but mine seems to use it at a rate of about 5 gallons per 10K miles. Basically every oil change will cost you an additional $40. Other than that I never think about it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle