Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #41

I've been pulling trailers for 20 years all over western US in all kinds of weather conditions. I recommend a 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton for that length and weight of trailer. I wouldn't pull more than 5k max with a half ton. A 3/4 ton has larger brakes and the transmission can handle the load. I think you would be working a 1/2 ton harder overall with that trailer. I think AllenD makes a good case for safety as well. Safe travels...
luv2kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2kayak View Post
I've been pulling trailers for 20 years all over western US in all kinds of weather conditions. I recommend a 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton for that length and weight of trailer. I wouldn't pull more than 5k max with a half ton. A 3/4 ton has larger brakes and the transmission can handle the load. I think you would be working a 1/2 ton harder overall with that trailer. I think AllenD makes a good case for safety as well. Safe travels...

I couldn't agree more. Anytime you get close to max it's dangerous. Also length is also a consideration. I recently upgraded to a 3500 which is overkill but after using both 1500 and 3500, I won't be downgrading when it's time for the next truck.
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Wife is making another bag of popcorn. No way will this be left for long. Still waiting for the "add air bags and you are good to go up to 16,000# and 4000# pin weight" with as 150/1500. Where is the guy that tows that 5er over the Rockies all the time?

Probably pulling his rig out of the ditch or hanging off of a cliff. I'm in the Rockies and camp in them all summer, it's nothing but cummins, powerstoke and duramax in them areas. Especially the Koke. Got any popcorn left??
Old 04-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1390 View Post
I owned a 2011 F150 4x4 supercrew with the ecoboost. Biggest POS on 4 wheels I've ever owned. Mileage was terrible. Don't believe any of the lies Ford says about the ecoboost. Got rid of it in 2014 and went with the V8. Will never own another ecoboost of any sort.

Amen Bob. I'm sure you can make a bumper sticker with a great hashtag out of this statement? Shall I run to Safeway for more popcorn?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_S View Post
Been there - Done that!

I had the same question and arguments and in fact used my 6cyl EcoBoost to pull my 8,600lb TT, and it did an admirable job- EXCEPT, when I was coming down long grades or in bad weather, or on wind or roads with lots of sharp curves. Then, the trailer was in "too-much" control of the truck. It's capabilities were maxed and too often, I could feel the (scary) lack of adequate, and confident control. Traded up to the 250 Diesel and have never regretted it since! Control, handling, and the diesel brake coming down long grades are terrific! Driving is less stressful and more enjoyable!... and most importantly, much safer!

So it was towing awesome if you were going flat and didn't have to turn or stop? Sounds comfortable to drive that camping in the Nevada desert.

Thank you for upgrading! Keeping all of us on the roads safer! Popcorn??
Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 AM   #46
Just as confused as you

I love hearing all of the "Don't do it", "Go ahead you'll be fine", "been doing it for 30 years" and all "the never had a problem".
And where is the guy that says he runs down the highway at 85 mph and never had a problem?
How many of you feel that you have been lucky so far?
How many of you feel that you are expert enough to never have to worry?

And the real question is how many of you know that at any time under any conditions your luck could run out and all of the experience in the world will not help?
Just look at all the accidents that happen all across the country without towing anything.

A lot of these post sound like lots of bragging to me.

As for me, I don't pull my trailer, not because I can't or don't know how, it's because I don't want to. I like to camp, I like where my campsite is, I just want to go and enjoy myself. Sure I could get in an accident going to my camper later today.

Do as the ones which say "Do the right thing, weigh your rig at a certified scale and do the numbers. Don't take unnecessary risks with a TV that is not up to the task.

Take your time and drive safe. Enjoy your camper and have fun.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln View Post
Popcorn??
Absolutely.....large bowl please......xtra salt.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I love hearing all of the "Don't do it", "Go ahead you'll be fine", "been doing it for 30 years" and all "the never had a problem".
And where is the guy that says he runs down the highway at 85 mph and never had a problem?
How many of you feel that you have been lucky so far?
How many of you feel that you are expert enough to never have to worry?

And the real question is how many of you know that at any time under any conditions your luck could run out and all of the experience in the world will not help?
Just look at all the accidents that happen all across the country without towing anything.

A lot of these post sound like lots of bragging to me.

As for me, I don't pull my trailer, not because I can't or don't know how, it's because I don't want to. I like to camp, I like where my campsite is, I just want to go and enjoy myself. Sure I could get in an accident going to my camper later today.

Do as the ones which say "Do the right thing, weigh your rig at a certified scale and do the numbers. Don't take unnecessary risks with a TV that is not up to the task.

Take your time and drive safe. Enjoy your camper and have fun.

Aw man. You just poured your soda in my bowl of popcorn!

What are you doin sayin things that make sense? Party foul!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #49

My Ford EB is rated to tow 9800lbs; my gvwr is 7200lbs; my trailer weighs about 7500lbs loaded; the trailer length is 34'; I have about 700lbs of payload left after I subtract tongue weight. I have done nothing to the drive train except routine maintenance. I have Airlift airbags and LT tires. All dialed in it is actually a pretty comfortable tow experience.

I had no idea I was risking my life, my family's lives; and the lives of all humanity by using a 1/2 ton truck to make all this move down the highway.

Marty
Old 04-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #50
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Five pages in less than 24 hours....I think we are gonna run out of butter on this one.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #51

Maximum weight numbers are not a limitation....they are a goal.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Gonna have to switch to no name brand soon. This party is gettin expensive
Old 04-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Maximum weight numbers are not a limitation....they are a goal.

#rednecklife #ineverbackdownfromagoodfight
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #54

I certainly would have Kept my SC 4x4 had my payload been more. Mine was optioned up kinda nice and did not have max payload or max tow..
1500 pounds of payload just wasnt going to work for me.. Now If i had the 1900 or 2100 pounds of payload that some ecoboost owners had I would have kept it.. It really was Dream towing and Pulling.. That motor is pure Magic. As for weight, it makes zero sense for someone to be concerned about 7K-8K behind a 1/2 ton but have zero issues with 12K-14K behind a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Since I was getting a new truck anyway I went with the 3/4 ton.. It was considerably cheaper..Don't like the motor 1/2 as much though.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Gonna have to switch to no name brand soon. This party is gettin expensive
Not to worry. I buy in bulk for these kinds of threads. I'll send some right over. I'm going out now to milk the cow and make more butter.

My .02 on the OP's question.......ummmmm.... what was the question? Oh yeah - having gone through several TVs in the last few years, I'd recommend a truck that's more stout.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #56

Experience from 150 and 250

I had to reset my password and remember my login, but thought I could provide a little insight here .

We have a 35' TT and pull it today with a '16 F150 4 door with max. Last year we pulled the same TT with a F250 4 door. For reasons unrelated to this topic we traded the F250 in for the F150. The F150 is a nice truck. It can pull that trailer. The F250 pulled that trailer and it pulled it nicely. It was more stable on highways and just had a very nice ride. The F150 isn't scary or white knuckle, but you can tell its a lighter truck than the F250.

If I could reverse it now, I would get the F250. I suggest the F250 for your trailer, not only for your current TT but for any changes you might want to make at some point down the line.

Just my experience. Happy trailering!

Karl
karlrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I certainly would have Kept my SC 4x4 had my payload been more. Mine was optioned up kinda nice and did not have max payload or max tow..
1500 pounds of payload just wasnt going to work for me.. Now If i had the 1900 or 2100 pounds of payload that some ecoboost owners had I would have kept it.. It really was Dream towing and Pulling.. That motor is pure Magic. As for weight, it makes zero sense for someone to be concerned about 7K-8K behind a 1/2 ton but have zero issues with 12K-14K behind a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Since I was getting a new truck anyway I went with the 3/4 ton.. It was considerably cheaper..Don't like the motor 1/2 as much though.
If the F150 was so nice when towing then why didn't you get a new F150? You couldv'e even ordered the HD version.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
If the F150 was so nice when towing then why didn't you get a new F150? You couldv'e even ordered the HD version.
for 2 reasons..
Future Planning for possible TT upgrade and the fact that my 2016 2500 cost 3K less than my f150 did in 2013..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
for 2 reasons..
Future Planning for possible TT upgrade and the fact that my 2016 2500 cost 3K less than my f150 did in 2013..
Got it. Yeah Fords really proud of their F150's.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Probably pulling his rig out of the ditch or hanging off of a cliff. I'm in the Rockies and camp in them all summer, it's nothing but cummins, powerstoke and duramax in them areas. Especially the Koke. Got any popcorn left??
Come on over! Lots of popcorn left and will be making more. I see the same from the SE flatlands, Smokies, all the way to the Rockies. Sad, but will be worse when someone is hurt or killed.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecoboost, f150, ford