Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #11

Real towing this week. Northern Ontario 6 degree and 11 degree hills. Fully loaded including a full tank of water. No issue what so ever keeping 55 on the hills in forth and 2500 rpm with the EcoBoost. We had severe weather come upon us, a microburst with high winds and hail, had it not been for the lack of visibility I would have continued, stability was not an issue at all. Most people on the road pulled off as well including many big rigs.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

You should also look at max torque and at what RPM you achieve that. When towing high torque at low RPM is ideal. The Ecoboost and diesels make such good TV's because max torque is achieved at normal driving speeds.

Your Aramada with it's 5.6L has a max torque of 365 lbs-ft@3600 RPM
F150 Ecoboost max torque is 465 lbs-ft@1500 RPM
6.7 Dodge Cummins max torque 660 lbs-ft@1500 RPM

Steepgrade mentioned that he upgraded from a 5.4L gas to a 6.7 diesel. The 6.7 has only about 50-60 more HP than the 5.4 but has more than twice the lb-ft of torque.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

One thing I would be most interested in knowing is: what is your current terrain/elevation and also where do you plan on taking your TT? Makes a huge difference when deciding what TV to get.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnmike View Post
I have a 2013 Roo 23ss and currently pull with my 2004 Nissan Armada. Armada is okay, but it does search gears a bit on highway with hills. I've been thinking of moving up to an F150 (probably used). Read a lot about the Ecoboost with Max Tow and HD Payload. Those are very difficult to find! Is it really worth it to get the HD payload package? We don't plan on getting a different trailer anytime soon, but I normally keep my cars for 10 years or more at a minimum. Wouldn't want to limit myself if anything changed in the future weight wise. Outside of HD Payload package, should I at a minimum get the 3.73 axle with Max Tow? There are so many options, it can get a bit overwhelming.
Just my $.02. We pull our Roo 23IKSS (slightly heavier than yours) with an '05 F-150. I have the 5.4L V8. The trailer tows great. No hunting for gears, plenty of power. We took it to the scales, mostly because the tt has a ton of storage, and my DW feels obligated to use it. What I found was not what I expected. The loaded trailer was at 6100 lbs - well under its GVWR. The truck, while nicely balanced between the 2 axles was within 50 lbs of its GVWR. As I said, tows great - no issues there. The truck has the factory tow package with the 3.73 gears. Pre-dates the max tow and max payload options on the newer ones.

If you want a good tow vehicle for the current trailer, any F-150 with a factory tow package should be fine. But, I'm of the same opnion you are - the max payload, max tow, and eco-boost is the ideal combination, but hard to find. If I manage to spring for a new one in the next couple years, that's how I'll go. But, if a good deal on a used one comes up (like it did on the current truck), I'll probably end up taking it and being fine with it.

And the aluminum bodied 2015's start rolling off the line shortly - so many things to consider...

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #15

I have heard that "they" say the eco-bomb is a 300,K mile engine... and I hope for "their" sake that it is. Sorry but I'm dubious about that. The engine may last that long, but it will most likely be with a lot of $$$ spent on turbo parts and labor... I opted for the 5.0 because of the simplicity factor. So far it's been solid with 54K miles... about 5% of that towing my RV at about 6,500 #.

I hope I'm wrong. Ford's quality has proven itself to me in the past. My old company truck now has over 350K miles on it and is still being driven, with the original hoses and water pump. The only time the engine or transmission has had anything was spark plugs and throttle body replacement... at 200K miles...

Best of luck with your choices, but I'd go with the Max Tow...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #16

I have the same setup as KMP44..same trailer and F150 (2009 Platinum)..no issues whatsoever.

FWIW - I do have an EQ Hitch and Firestone Air Ride suspension..
Camped Every weekend in July :=)
kfree1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #17

bradw661 Great thoughts on the torque. That helps me understand why my Armada is such high RPMs while towing and probably why I am downshifting to get RPMs to drop when it wants to stay high. CLT, I live in Alabama and my home is on top of a bluff (AL is actually much more hilly than many people realize). That being said, we have traveled to Ashville, NC, Smoky Mt area in Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi and Florida. Florida is obviously easiest drive, but in some of hills in Alabama I do experience the RPM searching gear issue.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
magnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Another factor is how often you are towing and how much you would need the added power in your normal day to day when not towing. Don't get me wrong, I'm a man and would love a Super Duty King Ranch. But for my normal day to day the fuel cost just wouldn't justify the need for power every now and then.

I'd go with what is going to give you the best mix of some additional power compared to your Nissan and some additional fuel economy in the day to day. However, if you plan on upgrading your TT to a heavier unit eventually, that needs to be factored in also.

One other thing I'd take into consideration is your 2004 Armada is (probably) paid off. An ecoboost F150 puts you into at least a 2011. If you are fine with that financially that's cool. But it is just another thing to weigh. Or you could get a boat also...haha. Lots to think about.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw661 View Post
You should also look at max torque and at what RPM you achieve that. When towing high torque at low RPM is ideal. The Ecoboost and diesels make such good TV's because max torque is achieved at normal driving speeds.

Your Aramada with it's 5.6L has a max torque of 365 lbs-ft@3600 RPM
F150 Ecoboost max torque is 465 lbs-ft@1500 RPM
6.7 Dodge Cummins max torque 660 lbs-ft@1500 RPM

Steepgrade mentioned that he upgraded from a 5.4L gas to a 6.7 diesel. The 6.7 has only about 50-60 more HP than the 5.4 but has more than twice the lb-ft of torque.
F150 with 3.5L 420 lb/ft torque

F150 with 6.2L 434 lb/ft torque
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #20

I have an '06 F150 5.4 with 55k miles (garage queen) and the 3.55 gear. We pull a 6800# TH with it. The truck pulls it fine with fuel mileage around the 9 miles per gallon mark. I usually run around 60 mph and that puts the rpms around 2200. Probably not the most ideal truck but it gets the job done for us without having a vehicle payment. We rarely travel more than 200 miles one way to our destination. I'm not sold on the Eco boost as well, turbos don't have much longevity in my opinion.

Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150