Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #21

My .02, FWIW:

The Ecoboost with HD payload package is pretty rare. When I bought my truck, there were less than 100 nationwide. If you are picky about color or options AT ALL, you will likely have to order. You just lost much of your bargaining power, plus you get to pay down on a truck that you have no real idea what it will cost. The incentives don't lock in until you actually acquire it. Incentives can change by several thousand dollars. If trading, you could run into issues also as the trade doesn't occur until pick up, meaning your value can change. Some have relayed being assured of a trade value by a dealer on ordered vehicles, but I would still be hesitant as I don't think you have any legal or contractual guarantee when ordering. This steered me away from the HD. Plus the wheels are butt-ugly, IMO. NO real options for replacing 7 lugs either- the few there are are also butt-ugly. I would only opt for the HD package if pulling a fifth wheel and HAD to have the heavier rear axle.

The Max-Tow option I really wanted. These are quite rare also, however. There was only a handful of these in my area- DFW, so lot's of dealers. I had only a couple of colors I'd consider and that narrowed down the field also. My dealer tried to arrange a dealer trade to get one, but the other dealer wouldn't let it go. Therefore, you can assume that a dealer will likely NOT be as willing to deal on one since they know you can't go next door and get one. My personal experience was that I'd have to pay several thousand more for the MaxTow or order one with the uncertainties outlined above.

I ended up with a standard tow package. After MUCH research I have come to the conclusion that there are very few changes from the standard tow to MaxTow. You will get much misinformation about the changes. Much of this is from people that don't understand the difference in the MaxTow and HD packages or from pure lack of information/speculation. The MaxTow has the SAME axle but with 3.73s. The rear spring code will be different for MaxTow, except on trucks with 20's. Mine has 20's and has the same spring code as MaxTows. Shocks and brakes are the same. On EB trucks, there is NO additional tranny or engine cooling. The standard EB has ALL of the cooling upgrades. The rear hitch is made slightly different on the MaxTow offering a very small increase in capacity. This is NOT a weak link IMHO and is of no real value. I would recommend getting the 3.55 gears rather than the 3.31 if you go with the standard tow package- I have these and just pulled a 34.5' TT across the country that has a sticker weight of 7952-likely pushing 9K loaded. There really is no need IMHO for the steeper gears with a 6 speed tranny. If I had a fiver and planned on going to 11K or so, I'd want the 3.73's, but anything less they are not a necessity.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilday4 View Post
I have an '06 F150 5.4 with 55k miles (garage queen) and the 3.55 gear. We pull a 6800# TH with it. The truck pulls it fine with fuel mileage around the 9 miles per gallon mark. I usually run around 60 mph and that puts the rpms around 2200. Probably not the most ideal truck but it gets the job done for us without having a vehicle payment. We rarely travel more than 200 miles one way to our destination. I'm not sold on the Eco boost as well, turbos don't have much longevity in my opinion.
You do realize that pretty much every diesel truck made since the early 90's has a turbo and they are praised heavily for reliability and longevity???? (Excluding the POS 6.0 Ford)
Old 06-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #23

The Max Tow gives you the larger (power 2013) expandable mirrors & trailer brake controller. I'm interested in those. Great information on the other itmes that are apparently the same between standard tow and max tow. Payload however appears to be approx 380 lb greater with max tow than standard. Heavy duty bumps up another 400.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
magnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnmike View Post
The Max Tow gives you the larger (power 2013) expandable mirrors & trailer brake controller. I'm interested in those. Great information on the other itmes that are apparently the same between standard tow and max tow. Payload however appears to be approx 380 lb greater with max tow than standard. Heavy duty bumps up another 400.
The 302A XLT package that is on mine had the TBC already. I added the Ford tow mirrors for ~$500. There are after market options that are nice as well. Mine are not the power ones(the mirror part is power adjustable, but not power telescoping or folding), but if it's a big deal to you to pull out a mirror on each side before each camping trip, I don't see how you manage to motivate yourself to camp in the first place!!! It takes 10 seconds to slide them both out. You do go from a 7200 or 7350 GVWR to a 7700 with MaxTow. I clearly didn't feel obliged to pay a few grand for a number on a sticker. Others feel differently.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #25

My preference for the power mirrors have more to do with my tight parking deck at work. Wouldn't want to stop (with line of cars behind), get out, fold mirrors, get back in everyday. Love the mirrors but even retracted they stick out and would probably need to be folded flat in deck.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
My preference for the power mirrors have more to do with my tight parking deck at work. Wouldn't want to stop (with line of cars behind), get out, fold mirrors, get back in everyday. Love the mirrors but even retracted they stick out and would probably need to be folded flat in deck.
I hear ya...wish I had all power!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:
I've researched the F150 quite a bit and feel like I understand the specs and options. Where I'm having difficulty is knowing the Armada is rated to tow 9500 lbs and it does pull okay but does search for gears when towing. I have to take out of overdrive quite often to have RPMs drop, etc. Knowing that, I wasn't even considering F150s that tow less than approx 9500 lbs etc. Then I read the threads about importance of payload. Maybe I'm missing difference on why the Armada may struggle when others say a base F150 that has a lower tow rating would not.
You should not be towing with the TV in OD. That is why they have the tow haul switch. When you set for tow haul you are taking the transmission out of OD.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #28

In my experience tow haul on my Armada does nothing. Can't tell a bit of difference. Maybe it would if I was in the Rockies. Hard to explain but Drive does fine 99% of the time. If I need to drop it to 4 in order to get RPMs to drop, it will settle down and then must put back in D to get them to level out again to normal. This is hard to explain in a thread.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepgrade View Post
I didn't have an Ecoboost but my 2010 ford f150 5.4L really struggled pulling my 4K trailer. It was rated to pull 9800; I could barely do over 60mph with a headwind.

Upgraded to diesel (Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins) and don't even notice it now. Love that truck. Love that trailer (23FB)
You have *NO* Idea the difference a Ecoboost makes

65 MPH up a straight-line 5% grade is nothing with our rig (I try to keep it at 60 though - gas milage is better LOL
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #30
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

You have *NO* Idea the difference a Ecoboost makes

65 MPH up a straight-line 5% grade is nothing with our rig (I try to keep it at 60 though - gas milage is better LOL
X2...anyone question what the eco can do, just look up "the fast lane" videos on YouTube at the Ike Gauntlet test, no BS testing and I reviewed most of the trucks and the eco does it's job very well...BTW, look at my sig...I'm not bias by any means

Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
X2...anyone question what the eco can do, just look up "the fast lane" videos on YouTube at the Ike Gauntlet test, no BS testing and I reviewed most of the trucks and the eco does it's job very well...BTW, look at my sig...I'm not bias by any means
Yeah you are Biased....LSU fan

Rollllllllll TIDE!!

(If you do not live South of Ohio and East of Texas disregard the above, you simply do not understand

SEC Rules

Oh wait EcoBoost...yeah it rocks...you should see some of the 300K Mile tests
Old 06-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
You should not be towing with the TV in OD. That is why they have the tow haul switch. When you set for tow haul you are taking the transmission out of OD.
Not in my 2011 F150. Tow/Haul makes the gears longer but it will go into OD at a certain speed in certain conditions. There are no warnings about towing in OD applicable to my truck that I know of.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #33

I just recently upgraded from a Nissan Frontier SV V6 to an F150 Ecoboost FX4 for towing my Mini-Lite 2306. The difference is amazing! The Frontier needed to have Overdrive disabled (specific warnings to do so in the manual), and it struggled with the Western PA hills--a lot of hills it just couldn't maintain speed without putting the peddle to the floor. With the F150 and the torque of the Ecoboost, it just goes. It will climb the hills without issue. The tow/haul mode makes a big difference in gear selection, keeping the engine in the right power band.

I don't have the Max Tow or HD package. I went into the dealer to get those, but they gave me a good deal on a demo with a lot more options. The payload and tow rating would allow me to upgrade trailers in the future, and I'm confident the Ecoboost will have the needed power to get it done.
dah605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

Yeah you are Biased....LSU fan

Rollllllllll TIDE!!

(If you do not live South of Ohio and East of Texas disregard the above, you simply do not understand

SEC Rules

Oh wait EcoBoost...yeah it rocks...you should see some of the 300K Mile tests

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140607_093216.png
Views:	145
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	54563

Old 06-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #35

One more question. For those with the large factory tow mirrors, are you glad you have them or do you now feel they are too big?

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #36

I had the dealer install the tow mirrors as part of the deal. It would have been better if they installed the ones with the power folding and power extension. I really like the extra visibility. I believe they are only about 1.5" wider on each side when retracted, but they do feel bigger than that at times.

-David
dah605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #37

I added the factory tow mirrors to mine. Will pull them and put the smaller factory units back on at the end of the lease. I like the two seperate sections of mirror. This is the second truck I have used them on. Will most likely sell them after this truck, motorhome has the nice big mirrors already.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Forest River Forums mobile app
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #38

If you don't like the big factory tow mirrors Cipa makes them that slip over the std mirrors. Don't get the strap ons if you can help it. They vibrate bad

Sent from my XT1058 using Forest River Forums mobile app
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #39

Quote:
One more question. For those with the large factory tow mirrors, are you glad you have them or do you now feel they are too big?
Absolutely LOVE our tow mirrors! They retract out for when we are towing and when retracted in are GREAT blind spot mirrors!! With them, our large rearview mirror and our camera I never have to look over my shoulder!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Absolutely love them. As a matter of fact when I get in our expedition, I can hardly handle the little tiny mirrors...
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150