Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 PM   #1

Ford F150 Question

I have a 2013 Roo 23ss and currently pull with my 2004 Nissan Armada. Armada is okay, but it does search gears a bit on highway with hills. I've been thinking of moving up to an F150 (probably used). Read a lot about the Ecoboost with Max Tow and HD Payload. Those are very difficult to find! Is it really worth it to get the HD payload package? We don't plan on getting a different trailer anytime soon, but I normally keep my cars for 10 years or more at a minimum. Wouldn't want to limit myself if anything changed in the future weight wise. Outside of HD Payload package, should I at a minimum get the 3.73 axle with Max Tow? There are so many options, it can get a bit overwhelming.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
magnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnmike View Post
I have a 2013 Roo 23ss and currently pull with my 2004 Nissan Armada. Armada is okay, but it does search gears a bit on highway with hills. I've been thinking of moving up to an F150 (probably used). Read a lot about the Ecoboost with Max Tow and HD Payload. Those are very difficult to find! Is it really worth it to get the HD payload package? We don't plan on getting a different trailer anytime soon, but I normally keep my cars for 10 years or more at a minimum. Wouldn't want to limit myself if anything changed in the future weight wise. Outside of HD Payload package, should I at a minimum get the 3.73 axle with Max Tow? There are so many options, it can get a bit overwhelming.
All of that is way over kill for what you are currently towing. If you are planning on upgrading TT's then i'd do it. Max Tow pkg would be nice if you can find one used, but not a must. I've towed a few different trailers w/F150's and currently tow a 7000lb TT with a brand new 5.0L F150 with 3.55 gears. It tow's it nicely.

Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #3

You never know what upgrade bug will hit you down the road but... I tow a 30' Rockwood 2604WS with my F-150 ecoboost, 3.73 gears but it is not the max tow package. The truck is rated for 9800 lbs towing but watch GVWR. That is what will eat your lunch the quickest. I am probably in the 7000 lbs range and have no issues towing. I have towed from Florida to Eastern Canada with no issues and into the mtns of North Carolina. I think a if you want to upgrade, find an ecoboost with the right ratio and the 9### lbs towing range. But you will be looking at a bigger unit some day, trust me!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
All of that is way over kill for what you are currently towing. If you are planning on upgrading TT's then i'd do it. Max Tow pkg would be nice if you can find one used, but not a must. I've towed a few different trailers w/F150's and currently tow a 7000lb TT with a brand new 5.0L F150 with 3.55 gears. It tow's it nicely.
That trailer has to be over 8000 lbs. loaded for camping. Pretty sure that truck is rated for 7700-7900 lbs. tow rating since it sounds just like my truck. Sounds like you could have used the max tow HD payload ecoboost instead of the OP...

Not sure why people post these fictional "dry weights" for their trailers.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #5

Quote:
We bought our Rig specifically to tow lightweight 5ers. We had not settled on the model yet but the tow specs with our order pretty much allowed us to tow any lightweight on the market.

I don't know you so I cannot judge how the upgrade bug can bite you. If you go to a RV show or a rally (say Goshen in Aug LOL) and see our rig...will that sway you?

If you answer is no never I will NOT upgrade my RV, the class of F150s we and others got to tow our hers is overkill.

OTOH if you do not trust yourself...they say the 3.5 EcoBoost is a 300,000 mile engine!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
That trailer has to be over 8000 lbs. loaded for camping. Pretty sure that truck is rated for 7700-7900 lbs. tow rating since it sounds just like my truck. Sounds like you could have used the max tow HD payload ecoboost instead of the OP...

Had this discussion on several threads Pappcam. A correctly equipped F150 EcoBoost is like a F250-350 of several years ago. 11,700 lbs of no BS towing capacity.

See for yourself: http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post

I am very close to my limit on this truck. However, I am NOT way over...right at the limit actually. If I were to pull this trailer across country somewhere I would definitely use my 2010 F150 (rated at 9800lbs). We don't take a ton of crap with us and yes I have been to the Cat scales (1/4mi from my house). Everything I take in the trailer is just under 600lbs (not including myself and my wife) and I never travel with tanks full.

Thanks for chiming in though.... I would have loved the Ecoboost for its tow rating, but this is a company truck and free, so I didnt have a choice.

It's interesting how my new F150 has way more horsepower than the old one, same gearing, yet smaller towing capacity. It actually pulls the trailer better than the 2010 5.4L does.
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

I've researched the F150 quite a bit and feel like I understand the specs and options. Where I'm having difficulty is knowing the Armada is rated to tow 9500 lbs and it does pull okay but does search for gears when towing. I have to take out of overdrive quite often to have RPMs drop, etc. Knowing that, I wasn't even considering F150s that tow less than approx 9500 lbs etc. Then I read the threads about importance of payload. Maybe I'm missing difference on why the Armada may struggle when others say a base F150 that has a lower tow rating would not.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
magnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Quote:
I've researched the F150 quite a bit and feel like I understand the specs and options. Where I'm having difficulty is knowing the Armada is rated to tow 9500 lbs and it does pull okay but does search for gears when towing. I have to take out of overdrive quite often to have RPMs drop, etc. Knowing that, I wasn't even considering F150s that tow less than approx 9500 lbs etc. Then I read the threads about importance of payload. Maybe I'm missing difference on why the Armada may struggle when others say a base F150 that has a lower tow rating would not.
Just remember tow rating is what you can pull, not how much weight you can put in your truck. Payload is what your truck can carry. Some of the payload is the tongue weight of your trailer ( usually 10-15% of trailer weight). Payload gets eaten up quickly as it involves everything you put in/on you truck, including passengers, gas, pets, gear, tongue weight, etc...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

I didn't have an Ecoboost but my 2010 ford f150 5.4L really struggled pulling my 4K trailer. It was rated to pull 9800; I could barely do over 60mph with a headwind.

Upgraded to diesel (Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins) and don't even notice it now. Love that truck. Love that trailer (23FB)

Tags
f150