Old 10-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #51

See if this helps you out in determining different equipment packages. I used some thing similar when I ordered my F250. I simply highlighted everything I wanted and took the document to my fleet guy at the dealership. Easy peasy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 F150 Order Guide.pdf (1.19 MB, 16 views)

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #52

Perhaps I'll drop that mirror requirement if standard size mirrors are adequate. I have add-on mirrors on my Durango and they're a pain to adjust every time. The stock Durango mirrors are inadequate, themselves.

I have a rear view camera on the trailer. It works sporadically because the transmitter is at the back of the trailer. I'll fix that by moving the transmitter to the front. But that doesn't help with the side view, even when it works.

- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #53
Coachman 312BHDS

I believe you but I love the technology. My brother-in-laws payload on his Platinum F250 was lower than I expected but I can't remember the number at the moment. It was below 3000 lbs. It seems to have most options a toy can have as a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Exactly. My previous truck was a 2011 F150 XLT CCSB with the EB and Max Tow package. My payload was 1,876 lbs. Most folks with Lariats or Platinums wouldn't believe me unless I showed them the payload sticker. All those bells and whistles, skid plates, etc add up in a hurry and subtract from the payload. FWIW, I towed the TT in my sig for a few thousand miles with the F150 and power wise it was great, but comfort wise not so much on long hauls. Thus the F250 I now have. I will gladly give up a little get up and go over comfort any day.

I had the F250 ordered with just want I wanted and my payload is now 3,295 lbs, or several hundred more than an F250 Lariat.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #54

OK this thread is about a F-150. We all know or should know a 3/4 or 1 ton truck can tow more with more payload.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #55
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
OP here. I appreciate the helpful comments. Those with experience with a similar combination are particularly helpful.

My plan is to get the heaviest payload package. I am aware of the payload being the limiting factor. Reference here to a "7000# GVWR Package" helped clarify that line seen on a window sticker (online). I gathered that it was a heavier payload but didn't know if it was the heaviest payload. Comments here suggest that it is.

With respect to tow mirrors, I'm aware they're a separate option. Baffling, but apparently true. That's my sticking point on finding a used vehicle, or even a new 2016 on a lot. I definitely want the power telescoping and folding mirrors because it will enable me to park the car in the garage. I really don't want to hop out of the truck every time I park it.

Being at the end of the model year results in more incentives from Ford but fewer options as to trucks with power mirrors. I hope I don't have to order a new 2017 vehicle to get what I looking for. I far prefer for someone else to pay for that first mile off the lot. But, if I do order new I'll get what I want, and nothing more, and the 10-speed transmission seems like an improvement.

Again, thanks. I'll report back to this thread with the results of my search. I'm not in a hurry so it might not be soon.
Hello Chris,

Heaviest payload for 2013 to 2014 was 7650. I had one.

Brian
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #56
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello Chris,

Heaviest payload for 2013 to 2014 was 7650. I had one.

Brian
You must mean GVWR, not payload. :what:
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You must mean GVWR, not payload. :what:
And the GVWR on the new ones are less due to the aluminium thus adding payload and towing capacity.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #58
Coachman 312BHDS

Yes - my 2014 GVWR is 7650. Here is the sticker. I don't think I am giving away any state secrets except it is in Canadian dollars so ignore the prices (well if you're in the US :-)). Click on it to get a bigger picture. If you click the zoom button in Photobucket it will get even bigger. It's very readable. I didn't get the final year of steel by accident. My hunting buddy got a 2015 F150 King Ranch right after I bought this one. I can tell you a good story about the aluminum repair on his truck if you want. it is painful.

One of the most used options on the truck camping is that tailgate step and I highly recommend it. I have an RV rear camera and a TPMS system in the front as well.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
The HD payload package is great in theory for somebody with a setup like the OP. Problem is these trucks are nearly non-existent.
I agree you won't find one used & if you do you'll pay a premium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Allowing for reinforcements on the inside of the garage door my usable space is 20' (240") with a few inches to spare. Ford's online specs list the overall length of a 145" WB SuperCrew as 231.9". I obviously won't be leaving the hitch on it when I park it.

In reality it seems it may be inconvenient to park the truck in the garage every day. Perhaps a long bed isn't out of the question?
I mounted a pad to my garage wall & pull my Ram all the way up until it touches the wall... I can't leave my hitch on or even walk-around my truck with the garage door shut but at least it's out of the elements. In good weather I leave it outside but it's nice to have a warm/dry truck in the winter...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #60
fx2

When I bought my F150 My requirements were the EB, tow mirrors, brake controller and leather. I could find one black 2015 Lariat and one Grey 2016 Platinum within 500 miles. This was December 2015. I bought the Platinum. The tow mirrors is the option that made for slim pickins.

Tags
f150, ford