Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
The tow mirrors is the option that made for slim pickins.
I just stopped next to a 250 at a gas station. It had power telescoping mirrors. Not having actually seen them (can't find any on a 150) I was surprised by their size. The owner showed me they don't even retract completely. Owning them might actually be counterproductive to my goal of parking the truck in the garage.

What do other 150 owners do about tow mirrors? Do you find the stock mirrors adequate as was described by one of the respondents here?

- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi
- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
It's what is not in the XL that increases payload. Bells and whistles add up.
Actually, no. The XL trim level has an option called "Max Payload". I haven't looked into what that entails, but it is NOT available on the higher trim levels. Also, I don't think you can get max payload and 4x4 on the same truck.

XL trim is primarily targeted as a business work truck.

SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #63
Coachman 312BHDS

The mirrors are still extended on my Lariat by an extra 4" I believe over a normal car. I clear by about 3" at the right mirrors edge when I pull into the 16x7 garage door. The extended mirrors would not work for me. Besides these mirrors work fine for towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I just stopped next to a 250 at a gas station. It had power telescoping mirrors. Not having actually seen them (can't find any on a 150) I was surprised by their size. The owner showed me they don't even retract completely. Owning them might actually be counterproductive to my goal of parking the truck in the garage.

What do other 150 owners do about tow mirrors? Do you find the stock mirrors adequate as was described by one of the respondents here?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #64
fx2

Quote:

Mine are power folding so I have no issue
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #65

Quote:
The owner showed me they don't even retract completely. Owning them might actually be counterproductive to my goal of parking the truck in the garage.

I have the trailer mirrors on mine. Right that they don't pull in all the way on the rails. However, mine power fold and I almost always fold them. Folded they are closer to the body than the standard mirrors extended. DW requires them to be folded so she can get at her car. I think she would be unhappy with the standard mirrors in the out position.

I find that the lower wide angle mirror is very helpful. I can see my truck wheels and most of the lane next to me all at once. Just wish this section was also power adjustable (guess I'm getting really lazy... ).

A criticism - I think the magnification on the upper part of the passenger side mirror is stronger than I like.

Another feature that is really nice is the flood light that is on the sides. It is REALLY bright. A negative on that feature is that they automagically turn off at about 5 MPH. However, there is a mod that allows them to stay on permanently. You need to jumper a wire under the dash. Details on doing this are available on the F150 Forum.
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Actually, no. The XL trim level has an option called "Max Payload". I haven't looked into what that entails, but it is NOT available on the higher trim levels. Also, I don't think you can get max payload and 4x4 on the same truck.

XL trim is primarily targeted as a business work truck.
For the same GVWR the XL would have more payload than a Lariat.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #67

Quote:

I don't use tow mirrors and find the standard mirrors to be just fine with my trailer which is 7 ft wide.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #68

Quote:

I have manual tow mirrors (wouldn't be without them). My garage door is 9 feet wide. I lower my window and fold the drivers side mirror in when entering the garage. It is still a tight fit.
91 days camped 2015
15 days camped 2016 more planned
Wayne Joan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #69

Max Payload is only available in XL, XLT and Lariat trim levels and is available in 4x4. In the SCREW it requires a 6.5 foot bed. The newer 150 will have 6 lug wheels as to the previous years 7 lugs. Max payload on an XLT or Lariat will give you a payload of 2480# on a base model. Options can reasonably be expected to add 350# leaving an approximate payload of 2100#. Speaking to he issue of tow mirrors I have found them to be a must even for regular driving as the convex portion of the mirrors completely eliminate any and all blindspots. Also when backing in to really tight spots with the trailer the oversize mirrors push button adjustability makes maneuvering much easier. Max Payload will also allow more flexibility when the almost certain trailer upgrade rears it's ugly head in the future.
Good luck.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #70
Coachman 312BHDS

Whoa. Please read the previous posts before you post. The payload option is called the HD payload and not the Max Payload. That is important because it is different than the Max Tow option.

Tags
f150, ford