Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

Ford F250 6.2L V-8, problem/solution?

I have a 2014 Ford F250 with the 6.2L V-8 and like it very much. It has been a great truck and towed my RV more than 16,000 miles all over this country. However, one day it went into "limp mode" and turned herself off. She wouldn't restart.

When she wouldn't restart, she was posting messages on the center screen about "overtemp" and "advanctrac". In searching online, other people reported messages dealing with "hill assist", "4X4", etc. Oftentimes the messages were opposites and didn't make sense that both would go out at the same time such as; overtemp being engine related, advanctrac being rear end related.

To make a long story short, after two visits to the dealer and intensive internet searching by me, we hope we found the problem. It was noticed that these "problems" were occurring when the Parking Brake was released. In my case, when the truck wouldn't start, if I released the parking brake, then she would start. Come to find out, there is a CONNECTOR for the MAIN WIRING HARNESS attached to the parking brake assembly. Apparently, due to the vibration/shock of releasing the brake, the connector and/or pins became loosened. I have since pulled it off the parking brake assembly and suspended it with some cable ties. It has been trouble-free for a week but I still cross my fingers before turning her on.

Just thought I would pass this information along. By the way, my son has a F150 but it does not have a connector attached to the brake assembly.

blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing - why wont Ford fix it?

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

They must first admit that putting such a critical connector on the parking brake assembly was poorly thought out and a mistake. They won't do that. It would be nice if they would inform their dealers about it though so when they get a vehicle in like mine, they can check it out first.

I'm posting this to give a heads up to anyone who may be experiencing the problem in their F250. I would like to make it clear that I think the truck is great and has been extremely reliable. If my removing the connector from the brake and suspending it solves they problem, then I'm a happy camper.
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Darrell, thanks for the heads up on the parking brake issue. I have a F350 with the 6.2L but I would think the connector could be the same on both trucks. If this were to happen to me I hope that I would be able to remember this posting, but in all reality, by the time I stop writing this I'll have forgotten what I was supposed to remember! Eh,What!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
They must first admit that putting such a critical connector on the parking brake assembly was poorly thought out and a mistake. They won't do that. It would be nice if they would inform their dealers about it though so when they get a vehicle in like mine, they can check it out first.

I'm posting this to give a heads up to anyone who may be experiencing the problem in their F250. I would like to make it clear that I think the truck is great and has been extremely reliable. If my removing the connector from the brake and suspending it solves they problem, then I'm a happy camper.
I appreciate the info for others if they should have a problem like this, with a 5th on the back wow not good at all with limp mode then no start. Please keep us posted on any info you may get from Ford (you should). My Toyota had the AIP system fail @ 3k and I was upset But Toyota did give me a loaner called me several times (corporate customer service) since it took Two weeks to get the parts in. I would hope Ford can do the same since limp mode can cause an accident if it catches you off guard. This guy has a lot of info for all you Ford owners and I bet you could share this with him and get the word out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FordTechMakuloco/about

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Anyone have a photo of this connector and the location?

Great information, thanks for posting.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

Terminal fretting

All line of auto manufacturing have the same issues right now. As wires get smaller and data processing gets faster if the stream is lost for milli seconds this happens. There are 10-12 modules communicating on the MS can and HS can networks so if a connector looses contact all modules set codes and warning lights. I have found more than that more than one connector will cause issues. I use contact cleaner and spray silicone on the connectors to clean and lubricate.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:37 AM   #8

We have a 2015 F250 XLT w/the 6.2l so this is great info to have. Thanks for sharing! Only have >7k miles on it but we love the truck. Not a single issue with it so far... (Knock on wood!)
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton65 View Post
All line of auto manufacturing have the same issues right now. As wires get smaller and data processing gets faster if the stream is lost for milli seconds this happens. There are 10-12 modules communicating on the MS can and HS can networks so if a connector looses contact all modules set codes and warning lights. I have found more than that more than one connector will cause issues. I use contact cleaner and spray silicone on the connectors to clean and lubricate.
How far does this date back? I had to look up MS can and HS can. I was unfamiliar with the terminology.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Apparently, due to the vibration/shock of releasing the brake, the connector and/or pins became loosened.
I had a 1979 F150, and the continued release of the parking brake vibrated the dash so bad, that all of blue bulb domes behind the instrument cluster came off. When I got my 2006, I started to put my foot on the parking brake to release it gently so hopefully nothing vibrates loose with this truck.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, ford