Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Ford F250/F350 tranny issues

We have owned our F350 6.7l diesel dually for just over a year now and since early on have had an issue on and off again with the tranny shifting funny from 1st to 2nd and/or from 2nd to 3rd.

Earlier this week it "missed" a shift from 2nd to 3rd and the engine revved up twice before the tranny caught and we went on down the road. I took it into the dealer ...as I had before for the same issue and was told that without a check engine light there would be no fault code and that I would have to leave the truck so that they could try to duplicate the problem. That made no sense to me so I brought the truck home and got on line and found Ford Truck Forum. I put a note there describing the problem with the tranny and within 5 minutes I had 3 responses that were exactly what I was looking for.

There is a TSB 11-8-24.....Techinal Service Bulletin for the exact issue and laid out the fix to the problem. It involved "Re flashing" the tranny and replacing some solenoids in the tranny. We are waiting for the parts for mine and should get it back tomorrow afternoon.

The TSB says if the truck was built before a certain date...I think sometime in November 2010 there is a procedure for the repair.

If anyone else is having any tranny issues you might mention this TSB to the service writer at your dealership and get the problem fixed.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #2

This issue has been discussed at length over at FTE for well over a year. Your dealer apparently didn't do much research into your problem. Makes you wonder why they couldn't at least see if there was a TSB out there, instead of you having to tell them.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Internet forums are the most wonderful places. And good for you for being so resourceful. It IS a shame that some dealers are uninformed and/or lazy. It shouldn't have been that hard for them to do a little digging. Glad you are on your way to getting this resolved. Things do happen. That's why they have warranties. There was a batch of F150s that had some tranny issues because "clutch plates" were manufactured a couple of millimeters to thin. It's seems inevitable that odd things creep into the manufacturing process from time to time.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #4

Just got home from picking up the truck and while at the dealer I happened to run into the owner. We have known him for 10 years and he asked if the truck was in for service and I let him know that it was and that there had been an issue. I related the story and he apoligized for his guys not being up to date with the TSM.

We are all cool. WE got it fixed. Ready to pull my trailer anywhere...OOOOO but the travel trailer is in the shop getting a slide out wall replaced. Now we just need to get that issue fixed.

Thanks for all your support
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i blame the ford dealership. kept having check engine light come on and off and "no codes" they would say with their hand out for $$.. turned out it was the battery got weak and had enough oomph to start the truck but not keep up.. changed battery, went away.

Tags
f250, f350