Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Ford SD Recall - crankcase ventilation oil separator

Just a heads-up for others on this forum. I took my 2016 F350 to the dealer this morning for an oil and fluid service. While dropping the vehicle off I was advised that Ford have issued a recall for the crankcase ventilator oil separator. The technician doubted that advisory letters had been sent out yet.

Apparently, oil from the vapour may be getting in to the separator. Personally, I have no idea what this means or does. I was told that it may trigger a 'check engine' warning light to come on but so far, for me anyway, nothing has been activated. At this time, it would appear that Ford are still trying to find a fix for the problem and, according to their website which I am just looking at, this may be a regional, climate related problem.

Anyway, just an advance notice for the Ford drivers amongst us, if you get a check engine light, it could all be this.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Can you post a link to the website you were looking at, and the recall notice?
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #3

It is not a recall but a "Field Service Action" Big Difference...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3232/custome...d-f-super-duty
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Thank you sir. Does not affect my year, but good to know. And yes, FSA much different than a Recall.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Thank you sir. Does not affect my year, but good to know. And yes, FSA much different than a Recall.
I don't know if you use the following site: https://owner.ford.com/ but you create an account and then input your VIN. You can keep track of your service as well as when you go to a dealership to have service done, that service will also show, and also you will receive notices of FSA's and Recalls as soon as they are released as well as all of your manuals, and other instructions for your Ford specific. I have used this site for years and all of my Ford products are in here. There is an app for you phone if needed. You might want to survey the site and see if it might help in the future. Its free!

Enjoy the outdoors and Enjoy your RV.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Don

Ford Diesel Crankcase Ventilation Oil Separator problem

I called my Ford dealer in town here and told me that it is not a recall but a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and that until a light came on there was nothing they could or would do. They also told me that Ford hadn't as yet issued a fix for the issue.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #7

I use the Ford owner site as well, it will show if there is a recall, but not all FSA’s will show. Additionally, it doesn’t do a good job keeping track of what the dealer did on each visit. I scan every doc I get after service and also keep a running list of issues and fixes in OneNote. Do this for my Cardinal as will. That section includes a tab showing all trips with mileage.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
Just a heads-up for others on this forum. I took my 2016 F350 to the dealer this morning for an oil and fluid service. While dropping the vehicle off I was advised that Ford have issued a recall for the crankcase ventilator oil separator. The technician doubted that advisory letters had been sent out yet.

Apparently, oil from the vapour may be getting in to the separator. Personally, I have no idea what this means or does. I was told that it may trigger a 'check engine' warning light to come on but so far, for me anyway, nothing has been activated. At this time, it would appear that Ford are still trying to find a fix for the problem and, according to their website which I am just looking at, this may be a regional, climate related problem.

Anyway, just an advance notice for the Ford drivers amongst us, if you get a check engine light, it could all be this.
This apparatus that maybe having a problem is what has been installed on all the vehicles that I have been around and Ford finally has caught up. It is a design flaw of the 6.0 because it never was installed. What it does is separate your oil from the air that is coming out of your crankcase. In the old days U just had a road draft hose. Now with the close system U need to separate the air from the oil. This oil will clog your turbo, your cooler, and eventually destroy your hoses. Now U know the rest of the story. On the 6.0 U had to add it yourself.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. Mine is affected.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

I have a 2016 F-250 and got the notice in the mail. Took it to the dealer and they changed it our in 2 days (had to wait for the parts to come in). No light, no questions. Service tech said it was the first that he had ever changed.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #11
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearitis View Post
I don't know if you use the following site: https://owner.ford.com/ but you create an account and then input your VIN. You can keep track of your service as well as when you go to a dealership to have service done, that service will also show, and also you will receive notices of FSA's and Recalls as soon as they are released as well as all of your manuals, and other instructions for your Ford specific. I have used this site for years and all of my Ford products are in here. There is an app for you phone if needed. You might want to survey the site and see if it might help in the future. Its free!

Enjoy the outdoors and Enjoy your RV.
I do actually have that site bookmarked, and am on it, but I don't check it regularly. Thanks.
Retired AF MSgt

Tags
ford, recall, vent