Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Ford's new backup feature- good or a gimick?

Saw this on TV..backing up a boat. But IMO/IME that's easier than a boxy trailer/TT.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...akes-back.html

If you haven't seen it, it's a knob on the dash you use via the backup camera it looks like, and you 'steer' the trailer that way.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

I've wondered the same thing. Have not talked to anyone that has it and has used it.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Done with this

Good grief.......

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Good grief.......
Indeed.........if you need that damn thing you shouldn't be towing a trailer to begin with...........
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Thanks, but I'll do my own backing and parallel parking...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Saw this on TV..backing up a boat. But IMO/IME that's easier than a boxy trailer/TT.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...akes-back.html

If you haven't seen it, it's a knob on the dash you use via the backup camera it looks like, and you 'steer' the trailer that way.
I have a camera on my 2014 in the same position (tailgate emblem). Great for getting on the TT to hook up. After that, the TT is all you can see. It is possibly good for those who cannot backup other types of trailers.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

I thought it was interesting - probably ok for newbie but still have to be on your toes(tows) no pun intended
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
WFD

The newbie would be better off practicing in an empty parking lot and mastering the art of backing and leave that silly thing off and not "relying" on it...if you want to own a trailer than learn how to drive with it.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Indeed.........if you need that damn thing you shouldn't be towing a trailer to begin with...........
And your grandfather probably said that about automatic transmissions “if you need that damn thing you probably shouldn’t be driving a truck to begin with...”

My wife’s grandfather once told me “Everyone should know how to shoe a horse”!
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
And your grandfather probably said that about automatic transmissions “if you need that damn thing you probably shouldn’t be driving a truck to begin with...”

My wife’s grandfather once told me “Everyone should know how to shoe a horse”!
Haaaaa. If I could of bought my 2015 GMC with a 4 or 5 speed manual I would have.

Seriously................ this crap is out of control but one thing is certain. With automatic backing, adaptive this, collision avoidance that, lane change this, and all the other electronics you had better not let a truck run out of warranty.

How many overpriced sensors, connectors, motors, modules, and other crap is part of that system. I can only imagine.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #11

Looks to me that Ford has answered a question that wasn't asked.More useless electronics to pay for.IMNSHO
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #12

I kind of like the idea of a little help once in a while, as we get older an extra set of eyes never hurts. I haven't tried it but if it works as well as the back up cameras it probably might avoid a few scratches and bumps along the way. Stay up with the technology it's not going away!
2015 Ford Explorer
bbbeebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #13

IMHO I think a lot of "safety things they are adding is only going to lead to people feeling they do not have to be on their toe's while driving, after all they will think their car will let them know where there is danger. So they become more inattentive to their driving. Creating a whole new danger for the rest of us on the road.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

I've become addicted to the backup camera and proximity warning with it on my new Ford F-350 truck. I'm convinced it is much safer than me looking in the mirrors and cranking my neck to see what is behind me. Just saying.......
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 12-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
I've become addicted to the backup camera and proximity warning with it on my new Ford F-350 truck. I'm convinced it is much safer than me looking in the mirrors and cranking my neck to see what is behind me. Just saying.......
Some things just make sense... and some don't.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you can't back a trailer you definitely shouldn't be pulling one.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, the back-up camera is great, but leave the little dial out of the equation. Having that means that there is some type of device that can take over the steering wheel. I want control of my steering wheel at all times, thank you. Mark my words, there will be situations where something goes wrong, and accidents happen because of some foul-up with the system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
IMHO, the back-up camera is great, but leave the little dial out of the equation. Having that means that there is some type of device that can take over the steering wheel. I want control of my steering wheel at all times, thank you. Mark my words, there will be situations where something goes wrong, and accidents happen because of some foul-up with the system.
How about your accelerator? Willing to give that control up? Cruise control was probably met with the same argument. Most commercial pilots give up all control once they are in the air and it has proven to be a good thing. They can quickly take over the controls manually if needed. I think the school of thought with aircraft is that automated controls allows the pilot (driver) more time to look out the window and be more aware of his surroundings instead of having his eyes buried in the cockpit watching his gauges.

When was the last time you saw a pilot of a passenger jet back up his aircraft???

I’m old enough to understand and practice the old ways but young enough to embrace some of this new technology. And the cool thing is, if you don’t like it, just turn it off.

I probably wouldn’t order the backup assist on my truck but I’ve got a couple of brothers that could sure use it!
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #19

My understanding is the knob just "changes the direction of steering wheel". For as long as trailers have existed, we all have known that when backing up, you turn the wheel to the right to make the trailer go left. This knob basically makes it so that if you turn the wheel right, the trailer goes right. Is it easier to have the trailer move in the direction of the steering wheel? For someone who has no experience towing, the answer might be yes. For anyone that has experience towing, it is just going to make things more difficult. But I for one, enjoy technological advancements, though I wouldn't want to use this knob. I wasn't sure if the knob was going to be coming out on the 2016s or not, but it appears it is.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Wink

Quote:
How about your accelerator? Willing to give that control up? Cruise control was probably met with the same argument. Most commercial pilots give up all control once they are in the air and it has proven to be a good thing. They can quickly take over the controls manually if needed. I think the school of thought with aircraft is that automated controls allows the pilot (driver) more time to look out the window and be more aware of his surroundings instead of having his eyes buried in the cockpit watching his gauges.

When was the last time you saw a pilot of a passenger jet back up his aircraft???

I’m old enough to understand and practice the old ways but young enough to embrace some of this new technology. And the cool thing is, if you don’t like it, just turn it off.

I probably wouldn’t order the backup assist on my truck but I’ve got a couple of brothers that could sure use it!
They all do when backing out of the gate.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford