Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm253 View Post
They all do when backing out of the gate.
No, the pilot releases control to the tug operator.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
If you can't back a trailer you definitely shouldn't be pulling one.

By the way, I have never backed up or pulled a 5th wheel trailer before but that isn’t going to stop me from ordering a new one Friday!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

P.S. I hope my salesman doesn’t read this forum and find out how excited we are to order.
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 12-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
By the way, I have never backed up or pulled a 5th wheel trailer before but that isn’t going to stop me from ordering a new one Friday!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

P.S. I hope my salesman doesn’t read this forum and find out how excited we are to order.
Congratulations!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #24

Thanks Turbs and I’m ordering the auto level feature. Stick that in your eye buddy! Just messing with you friend. We’ll have to talk poles when we meet again. Are you going to the tadpole rally at Little Farm on the River?
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 12-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #25

Gentlemen and ladies,
Consider how driving skills have deteriorated in the last 10 or 20 years, and how distracted drivers are. The sooner self-driving cars are on the road, the safer we'll all be. Of course this doesn't apply to any of us who read the Forum because we're all super-drivers and nearly perfect. But, I still appreciate cruise control, anti-lock brakes, climate control, backup camera, heated seats, and many of the other "gadgets" we've come to expect on our vehicles. We're all driving cars/trucks that are loaded with electronics (more than we're aware of), and with few problems. It's not likely that you can even find a throttle cable on your car. A friend told me that the electronics in my hybrid car would fail after one or two years on salty, gunky Minnesota roads; now after 9 winters we're yet to have our first problem. By criticizing every new piece of technology, we're just showing our (old) age. Consider all you can do with your smart phone or whatever device you're looking at right now!
Merry Christmas
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Even though I have a fifth wheel and don't need it for hooking up, my back up camera saved my butt one night. While backing up (sans trailer) in a parking lot, I looked behind and so no cars and proceeded to move until the alarm began beeping. I could not see anything and got out of the truck to see what was the problem. Lo and behold a little MG was almost ready to be crushed. Because of the truck bed it was non-existent in my viewing area. Needless to say, I love my backup camera and alarms.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #27

If you watch the video the driver is still controlling the backup. He is turning a knob on the dash while watching the back up camera. would not work for my 5er because all you see in the camera is the door to my geni.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #28

Nothing beats a good set of mirrors and commonsense when backing and oh btw I know how to shoe and ride a horse
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #29
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm253 View Post
They all do when backing out of the gate.
They are all pushed back from the gate by tugs....planes don't have a reverse.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #30

I don't think I could trust it.

Now I will say that when I was learning to back a trailer, the F-150 we owned then had a screen you could put it on where you could see the angle of the tires. This was very helpful for me because I never felt like I knew when my tires were straightened back out.

It was helpful for learning. Don't need it any more.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Gentlemen and ladies,
Consider how driving skills have deteriorated in the last 10 or 20 years, and how distracted drivers are. The sooner self-driving cars are on the road, the safer we'll all be. Of course this doesn't apply to any of us who read the Forum because we're all super-drivers and nearly perfect. But, I still appreciate cruise control, anti-lock brakes, climate control, backup camera, heated seats, and many of the other "gadgets" we've come to expect on our vehicles. We're all driving cars/trucks that are loaded with electronics (more than we're aware of), and with few problems. It's not likely that you can even find a throttle cable on your car. A friend told me that the electronics in my hybrid car would fail after one or two years on salty, gunky Minnesota roads; now after 9 winters we're yet to have our first problem. By criticizing every new piece of technology, we're just showing our (old) age. Consider all you can do with your smart phone or whatever device you're looking at right now!
Merry Christmas
Well said. I, too, like all of those "gadgets" on my F250. If the backup assist had been offered last year, I might have jumped on that too!

As for the remark about the smart phones, I would wager many here don't have them, and many of those that do use them as a telephone only. (Just a guess, based on some of the comments in this thread...)

Merry Christmas to all!
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Saw this on TV..backing up a boat. But IMO/IME that's easier than a boxy trailer/TT.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...akes-back.html

If you haven't seen it, it's a knob on the dash you use via the backup camera it looks like, and you 'steer' the trailer that way.
I had my doubts about this one also but just before the 16's came out, I was invited to try this feature out through people I know that do road testing on Ford's trucks and cars. I tried this with a 30 foot trailer attached and was totally amazed at how well it worked. I know there are a lot of people that can parallel park and back in trailers I being one of them. But this thing is slick as hell. Besides, the other companies don't have anything as slick as this setup. Before everyone judges with the usual I can back up a trailer nonsense, you should try it. You'll be amazed.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The newbie would be better off practicing in an empty parking lot and mastering the art of backing and leave that silly thing off and not "relying" on it...if you want to own a trailer than learn how to drive with it.

Amen. Some responsibility comes with ownership of any RV rig. Learn yours and keep yourself and others safe so you can make happy memories and not nightmares.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
They are all pushed back from the gate by tugs....planes don't have a reverse.
Actually two aircraft that come to mind quickly are the DC9 and B727 could do power backs from the gate, they used reverse thrust to do so. However it was real noisy and sometimes very dusty. Not a practice used very often! 36 + years in aviation last 30 at a major airline!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #35

I've been in control of Boeing 707 that we backed up to the blast fence, any aircraft with reversers can be backed up if your careful. Almost any prop plane with reversing propellers can do the same thing.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
If you can't back a trailer you definitely shouldn't be pulling one.
X2, Personally I enjoy backing my camper, get to show off my backing skills

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
X2, Personally I enjoy backing my camper, get to show off my backing skills
I toadaly agree!
I like to make one and done!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I toadaly agree!
I like to make one and done!
Yep anymore then just 1 pull forward to re-position camper in the site and well......okay 2 tops if its a tough site. Otherwise its time to hit the shopping mall and practice.

Always like to crack a beer and watch others try to back up in the cg. Sometimes go over and offer to guide or even do the backing for them, if its that bad.

It is kinda a neat feature I guess and may help those who cant back up.
May even be fun to play with once.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yep anymore then just 1 pull forward to re-position camper in the site and well......okay 2 tops if its a tough site. Otherwise its time to hit the shopping mall and practice.

Always like to crack a beer and watch others try to back up in the cg. Sometimes go over and offer to guide or even do the backing for them, if its that bad.

Best part is I know at least one that needs this feature
Old 12-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #40

Quote:

I cannot afford a truck with a second steering wheel on the dashboard. I will just continue to call an Uber driver when I need to back up.

I do not call on those guys that have a mustache on the front grill.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford