Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #1

Forest River Flagstaff problems

This past weekend I was towing my sister-in-laws 25' Flagstaff for her. My brother had always complained about the way this trailer towed, but we suspected that part of that was because of his tow vehicle (jeep cherokee). He had towed this vehicle to Florida behind a Suburban without much trouble, other than it wore out a brand new set of front tires on the tv over the trip. He had the trailer to the dealer on multiple occasions, but they never seemed to cure the problem. While towing it home from camping this past weekend I was hit with a sidewind gust that swayed the trailer. I regained control of the trailer and straightened it out. At this point either a second gust or a mechanical failure of the hitch occurred and the trailer swung my 2001 Silverado and the trailer completely around. Just as the trailer was coming to a stop it flipped onto its side. My nephew and I were shaken up but not hurt. What I suspect happened is that the head of the hitch cracked and separated from the tv. The hitch is a forged metal hitch and the fresh crack is very shiny. However, there are large dark spots that seem to indicate either a prior crack or a weak area in the metal. Has anyone else had a problem with their hitch cracking like this? I have been towing tt's for 25 years and have never had an experience like this before. I usually tow my 26.5' Keystone tt and I have never had a problem. The Flagstaff was furnished with a equalizing hitch that was being used at the time. Any ideas?
jjbmish is offline   Reply With Quote