Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Forest River published weight way off!!!?

So we have the Forest River Surveyor 226RBDS. The published dry tongue weight for the 2014, which is what we have is 490 lbs. My TV can tow 720lbs so with extra stuff added, I should still be well within my limit. (I wanted to stay about 100 lbs below the max rating).

However, the 2015 catalog just came out and shows the same trailer at 658lbs dry tongue weight. So I emailed Forest River asking why the big difference, was there a major design change or something? There doesn't appear to be on the surface. Of course, no reply whatsover, so today, I decided to go weigh it. I'm at 740lbs with the trailer mostly empty (no water), but it does have propane and batteries. What the heck!? There is no way propane and batteries are adding 250 lbs. So I think the actual tongue weight is 658lbs like the new catalog says. Has anyone else seen this big a discrepancy before? How can they be so wrong on their numbers? It seems like they should have some liability when their published #'s are completely off. We may have to sell the trailer and get a different one now taking a huge $$ hit.
climbbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Could have been a typo ??? I would not go & sell the trailer. Did you weigh with and without a WDH (Weight Distribution hitch). Loaded is a balancing act for the trailer. Weight behind the axles can take weight off the tongue weight in front of the axles adds to the tongue does depend on the set up.

Also the published numbers are without options. The yellow sticker has the weights as leaving the factory. And yes they can and usually are off from the published numbers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Mine were pretty accurate.

Brochure stated weights:
Tongue:1075
Axle:5270
Total: 6345

Yellow sticker: 6549

Actual Wet:
Tongue:900-1100
Axle: 6100-6500
Total: 7000-7600

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I respectively beg to differ.
Battery 60 to 80 lbs
One propane tank weighs full about 55 lbs

I figure about 180 lbs total.

What does your yellow sticker say because you CAN NOT go by the brochure numbers as there a guideline not gospel.

ANY weight you have put in the camper ahead of the axle puts weight on the tongue.

And ANY item the dealer installed also adds to the yellow sticker weight.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fyi this is on all there brochures.

All illustrations and specifications contained in this literature are based on the latest product information at the time of publication.

Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications at anytime, without notice, and

assumes no responsibilityfor any error in this literature. All weights shown are approximate. All units are shipped F.O.B. point of manufacture.

a Division of Forest River, Inc., a Berkshire Hathawaycompany. All Rights Reserved. 11/14
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

If you water tank is located behind the axel then that could make a hugh difference so I would weigh the trailer as if it was loaded ready to go camping to get real numbers.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #7

Typical Group 24 deep cell is 48-54#. You can figure your propane weight by taking the tare weight stamped onto the tank handle and then add 20 or 30#, whichever tank capacity you have. I could see you reaching close to 250# with a pair of full propane cylinders, dual batteries, an electric tongue jack, and brackets for your WDH. The factory doesn't include the weight of consumables (i.e., batteries and propane) in listed weights, nor do they include options such as an electric tongue jack or the effect of other options in your as-built trailer that contribute to the tongue weight.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sadly this is a common reality with any manufacturer. I always encourage prospective buyers to calculate tongue weight based on gvwr if they have no idea how much weight they will actually put in the trailer. Remember ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of the loaded trailer weight. As stated above, anything placed in front of the axles will add to tongue weight. Dishes, clothes, toiletries, folding chairs, grill, chocks, levelers, wood, these things add up very quickly. Above posters gave you a good idea of battery and propane tank weights. Depending on what hitch you are using, they get heavy too. This is something I learned the hard way too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #9

The yellow sticker doesn't say anything about the tongue weight, just the total weight which is 5110. And the fresh water tank is in the front (about 4 feet in front of the front axle).

I understand the batteries and propane add about 180 lbs to the overall weight and a good portion of that is on the tongue but it seems like that should still put me well below 700 lbs when the trailer is empty. Anyhow, live and learn.
climbbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

I would've been apprehensive anyway. The 2014 TW is less than 10%, which is a no no for towing. Even at the 5110lb sticker weight should've given you 510lbs. Add the propane and stuff and your good on TW %. You should be glad it weighs what it does. It means it's well balanced. Nothing worse than having to load all kinds of stuff on the front to make up for a factory too low TW. BTDT.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, weight