Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #21

The listed hitch weight is 635 dry, I dare say that will make 800 depending on how its loaded and what is or is not in the tanks, that eats away at the 1400LB payload and GVWR in a hurry.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccduncan View Post
Gosh Dan all that I haven't posted about my truck is that it is an SLT model. The tag on the door truly says 5,680 lbs GVW. The owners manual that came with truck says maximum tongue weight of 800 lbs.
The GVW is the total weight of the TV not the towing capacity. Depending on the gear ratio, cooling, etc. the Towing Capacity may be 3500lbs or so as stated before.

My Suburban has 5400lb towing capacity without the trans cooler and 7900lbs with the trans cooler. The trans cooler did not come with the HD trailering package or other towing options.

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #23

I'm gonna need a bigger truck!!!!

A very windy day today when I completed my purchase and headed out on the road. So windy. The tech and I were afraid to try out the electric. Awning! That sAid, after a while I got used to it. Even increasing my speed from white knuckle 45/50 to 55/60. I became more confortable and did not use over drive. I could continue to tow with the Dakota but will now. Be looking to possible trade my Dakota 70xxx miles and our old 2002 Coleman Utah /with slide out for a Ram truck more. Suited for towing trailer. Will post picture of a big trailer and a (if you look closely) a Dakota truck attached. That's it for now and will update after camp trip. Power wise the Dakota was a champ and only (sagged) a smidgen. I just feal that a same power but wider wheel base might be more suitable. Also after tAlking with dealer and getting the books out. The GVW was 5,480. Thanks all of you for your input and. Love the Shamrock 21SS !!
rccduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #24
Engineer of Crazy Train

Glad it went well dude. Enjoy the camper and be safe.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccduncan View Post
Gosh Dan all that I haven't posted about my truck is that it is an SLT model. The tag on the door truly says 5,680 lbs GVW. The owners manual that came with truck says maximum tongue weight of 800 lbs. It's 5:25 AM and I pick the trailer up at 9:AM . After I check everything out I'll probably be on the road by 11:ish. I will be traveling to a near by State Park about 40 miles from here for a test camp of 2 nights. Some dual highway some 2 lane with average Missouri terraine (sp?). Anyways some hills and some straight flat stretches. The info above concerning 3.55 gears , heavy duty shocks , anti sway bars front and rear , etc are all from the vi# build sheet from Dodge. Woops did I mention 4.7 v8 45RFE transmission auto 4 speed? Also has the heavy duty rear brakes. Isn't the dry weight for the 21 SS at around 4,300 lbs? It seems to me that I might be ok if we stay light on our packing of the trailer and the truck. That said I still desire your input but I believe I am going ahead with purchase. If you are correct I'll be stuck and having to purchase a bigger truck. Bummer huh?!! Times running out, Rick
5680lbs GVW is the max weight of the TRUCK, not the MAX tow rating. Someone else already told you that you are (likely) limited to around 4600 lbs (or was that 4800?). Either way, if the 21SS starts out at 4300 lbs, with no options (factory nor dealer) nor your gear, no way will this stay any lighter than 5000 lbs. And that leaves no capacity for any cargo in the truck, nor passengers in the cab, besides the driver.

3.55 gearing and 4-speed auto is what's hurting you, not the engine. Conversely, most trucks/SUVs these days have at least 5 forward gears (most have 6), which allows 1st gear to be much better on the drivetrain when starting from a stop.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #26

oops - Didn't see there was already a page 3 of posts.
Happy camping. Let us know how things go with the Ram (or whatever you get).
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, forest river, shamrock