Old 08-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
It is factual. The sway control built in to the weight distribution system relies on pressure from the bars, which can be a lot... but not near the same as the clamping force of a sway bar.
Technically speaking, it would be difficult to judge this without seeing both systems and making measurements of the actual forces.

All sway control systems work by apply force that prevents the trailer from pivoting about the ball.

Friction based systems use clamping force on a friction material to resist any change in trailer angle.

Non-friction systems use camber angles in the WD bars to apply a force to keep the trailer straight.

Whether the friction force is higher or not would of course depend on the setup and design.

(FWIW - on my 2 data points, which are different trailers, the SwayPro hitch performed much better than friction sway control on my old hitch. And this trailer is bigger and heavier than my old trailer...)

mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Thanks for all the great tips pulled a few more times since and seem to have found the "sweet spot" in tightening it.Thanks

mulher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Yes, too many variables to say that friction sway control will always provide more friction than any integrated system. Friction sway controller is a strong clamp for sure, with friction material on both sides of a large surface-area bar. But most integrated systems have smaller friction points at multiple points, at both ends of both bars.

I used to tow a large popup with minivans. Used a 400 lbs rated Single Bar WDH, plus a friction sway controller. Lots of others with similar setups liked the "mini-350" WDH, which had integrated sway control. I never switched, because what I had already worked so well. But when I went to a larger vehicle and camper, and needed to get a new WDH anyway, it only made sense to go straight to something with integrated sway control. Works as a system, takes less time to set up, etc, etc.
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
... This post of course is not discussing the Hensley type systems. Those are a different animal.
Indeed they are. The Hensley and ProPride hitches do not use friction sway control because the design prevents sway from occurring.

Restcure (formerly JD and Beastlet)
2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 SC EB LB max tow 3.73s
John, Dawn, daughter Emily and Bella the camping kitty

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote