Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Friction sway control

I apologize in advance if this rehashing old grounds. We purchased a 2014 shasta flyte/breeze. 25.5 ft long, with the hitch 29.5 ft long. Towing with a 2014 f150 3.5l ecoboost with max trailering package. Weight of the unit is 5200lbs . So loaded up, maybe 6000 lbs? Anyway, I use an equalizer or weight distributing hitch. I've towed it once out to storage and noticed no huge "sway" although I did notice for sure it was longer than our old 22 footer. I've been looking into the friction sway control kits. Is this something I need? If so, now I'm seeing I should be using two of them, one for either side? Anyway, I appreciate the comments. The truck has built in sway control also.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

I have the eq weight distribution hitch on my Windjammer, that has fiction control, along with the ford anti sway works great. I don't require anything else. No sway and great trailer control. I am sold on that system, at least it works well for me. I am sure others will have their opinion. I really think the set up or adjustment of what ever you use is also very important. It will be interesting what the other members think, tons of great info its FREE.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

If you go with the friction sway control, just remember you need to remove it when parking or making tight turns.
I used to pull 30' TT at 6000 pounds, the friction control greatly helped with sway on highways and turnpike.
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
I apologize in advance if this rehashing old grounds. We purchased a 2014 shasta flyte/breeze. 25.5 ft long, with the hitch 29.5 ft long. Towing with a 2014 f150 3.5l ecoboost with max trailering package. Weight of the unit is 5200lbs . So loaded up, maybe 6000 lbs? Anyway, I use an equalizer or weight distributing hitch.
"Equal-I-zer" is a specific brand of WDH, with integrated sway control.
"Equalizer" is also a generic name (rarely used anymore) for any WDH.
I suspect you are using the term in the generic sense, yes?
If you are dead-set on keeping your current WDH, then yes, you should get at least 1 friction sway controller. If the trailer is properly loaded, has 1 sway controller, and you still feel some instability, you can use a second unit.
Quote:
I've towed it once out to storage and noticed no huge "sway" although I did notice for sure it was longer than our old 22 footer.
How fast were you moving? You won't get any sway 'til over 45mph, unless you have extremely low tongue weight.
Quote:
I've been looking into the friction sway control kits. Is this something I need? If so, now I'm seeing I should be using two of them, one for either side? Anyway, I appreciate the comments. The truck has built in sway control also.
The truck's electronic sway control should not be relied on as the primary means of stability. If your rig is not stable, relying on the electronic nanny could overheat your brakes, reduce gas mileage, and other ills, due to constant use of the brakes to control sway.
1. Proper trailer loading is primary for preventing inherent sway. You must have 10-15% of actual trailer weight on the ball (as tongue weight).
2. Add-on friction sway controller (or a WDH with integrated sway control) is the next defense, protecting against outside forces (wind gust, passing semi, emergency lane change, etc).

IMO, the integrated electronic sway control is for those who do not tow regularly, and will not have a WDH, brake controller, and other such standard towing equipment already in use.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Hey. Thanks. We were doing 110kms per hour or about 65 mph. And towing was fine. Yes, i was using the word equalizer in the generic sense. But i think in the end, I'll wind up buying a friction control addition, for the 100.00 can't go wrong really. A new wdh system with integrated sway is roughly 900.00 canadian.
Mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

Yes Equal-I-zer or Anderson or something on those lines would work well. The brake side friction sway controller not the best for half ton with a longer trailer.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post

IMO, the integrated electronic sway control is for those who do not tow regularly, and will not have a WDH, brake controller, and other such standard towing equipment already in use.
Based on personal experience with towing using a truck just like the OP's, this is not really accurate. The Ford electronic sway control will kick in only when the sway has almost gotten out of control. No one should use the sway control as a part of the towing environment. The one time my sway control kicked in was enough to make me move up to an F250.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #8

If this is what you are referring to friction sway control, I use 2. The second makes a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-31-11 148.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	101948  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Based on personal experience with towing using a truck just like the OP's, this is not really accurate. The Ford electronic sway control will kick in only when the sway has almost gotten out of control. No one should use the sway control as a part of the towing environment. The one time my sway control kicked in was enough to make me move up to an F250.
I think we may be saying the same thing. Electronic sway control will do it's job. But it is not a substitute for sway control as part of your actual towing gear.

If you are saying that the electronic system will not kick in until the situation is nearly out of control, then I say that is a very poor system. Half-ton trucks now have tow ratings greater than the weight of the truck. When things are nearly out of control, the trailer will overwhelm the truck. Sounds like you experienced this.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

Anyone using a friction sway controller should also be sure to read the instructions closely as far as adjustment. The large lever is not the adjuster...it's the on/off lever. You are supposed to clamp this down all the way, until you bottom out the threads. Any adjustment that needs to be made is with the adjuster bolt, right next to that lever.

Many people only snug up that lever so it's not too noisy, then wonder why they get pulled around by the wind and passing semis.

Tags
sway