Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Front mounted hitch

I've been doing some research lately on trying to resolve my bike carrying dilemma. Rear bumper bike racks didn't work, bikes in bed of truck didn't work for me, bikes in camper didn't work for me so on to the next trial. Bike on front mounted hitch. I've seen it done many times and have come across the Bodiak Hitches . This looks like a great setup. Quick install and easy removal. I can probably get a local guy to frabricate one in his shop. Then I got to thinking, which can be dangerous because usually I try not to think too much. Gets me in trouble. My though is can I carry my 600+ lb motorcycle on a beefed up front hitch attached to my F250.

Tell me why this is not a good idea.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

Bodiak's specs for their hitch to fit your F250 says "tongue wt 500lbs". That limit is probably the limit of the tow hooks which is what the Bodiak actually clamps on. I saw one of these in person a while back an it is pretty neat. Ford Pickup Front-end receiver hitch So, you may have to go to a frame mount to carry 600lbs.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Terry, many hitches have a 500 lb. weight carrying limit, so that would need to be checked out. You would also need to find out if your front axle weight rating can handle the extra weight. I think the weight there would be similar to a bumper pull trailer.....adding weight in front of the axle will put more weight on the axle that the actual weight of the hitch and the motorcycle, and take some away from the rear axle weight.

Update: Looks like kerrlakelover posted while I was composing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Bodiak's specs for their hitch to fit your F250 says "tongue wt 500lbs". That limit is probably the limit of the tow hooks which is what the Bodiak actually clamps on. I saw one of these in person a while back an it is pretty neat. Ford Pickup Front-end receiver hitch So, you may have to go to a frame mount to carry 600lbs.

The Bodiak would be a perfect solution for bicycles, but I was thinking the odd time I would want to take the motorcycle, I would need that extra capacity.

Thanks MTNguy, seems like I need to do more research.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, mount