Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Inveterate Tinkerer

Fuel Transfer Tanks- whatcha got?? Whatcha think??

I am thinking that it would be a smart move to install a 50 gallon (or more) tank in the bed for range and price capability in my Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison.
Maybe to try to catch the best prices, especially before going across the border, or into high fuel price states. I realize it would take a while to pay out, however, it would save a lot of personal anguish paying exorbitant fuel prices, in out of the way places, and would greatly increase range. I bet lots of people on the forum have done it.
How has it worked out? And do you have any tips?
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
Sir Guinness-(Manchester Terrier)
2012 Windjammer 3065W
Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
ProPride 3P
Iluv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Haven't done it but have considered it over the years. Keep in mind that 50 gals of diesel at 7.1 lbs per gal comes out to 355 lbs. A 50 gal tank can be 100-250 lbs, depending on type and what it its made of. Can you lug that extra weight safely? Plus your mileage would probably decrease a bit and you would loose some cargo space in the truck bed.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Last week installed the Titan 52 gallon in my truck and Love It, best mod I have done on my truck to date.....

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Several years ago I installed a TransferFlow 30-gallon refueling tank/toolbox combination and have no regrets. I am using it for gasoline. It is a refueling tank so it has its own pump and nozzle. I can refuel the Power Wagon, other vehicles, my generators, other equipment, etc. In the toolbox I carry basic tools and recovery gear. I am frequently a long way from a fuel station or resources:

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Very nice looking Glenn...

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

I went to Nothern Tool and got a 60 gallon tank/toolbox combo that just goes under the tonneau cover so it is out of sight. I had to get the adaptor and cut my fuel hose and put the adaptor inline. With a sometimes 20 cents differential in fuel cost state to state it comes in handy!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Inveterate Tinkerer

Nice setup, Glenn...is that Shiprock in the background on the first pic? Beautiful scenery in that part of America, and sure don,t want to make any mistakes in that country, huh?
And, jackhartjr--how did the gravity feed in- line adapter work out? That is what I am thinking about doing, cuz I will only use the diesel to fuel the truck. Don't need the hose and pump setup, really.
I am also very enamored of a 1500 mile range, so that I can pick and choose when it comes to refueling. Sometimes, I feel like the old free market supply/demand system just isnt working. World barrel price of oil drops $15/bbl and our local stations go up 10 cents a gallon. I know there is lag,etc., etc., but that just doesn't sit real well.
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
2012 Windjammer 3065W
ProPride 3P
Old 05-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #8

Randy, that 'lag' only works one way...lf the price of crude go up and that very day the fuel goes up...and I am talking about the fuel in the ground...the fuel truck aint' even got there yet!
The gravity feed works well! I would recommend two hose clamps on either side for a total of four, it only comes with two large ones.
I did run the vent hose to the rear along the tonneau rail...and no...I have never had fuel go through the vent.
I will tell you that going down the road it will screw with the computer and all of a sudden the fuel guage will go to empty and the fuel light comes on. When you stop next it will reset itself.
For the supply line for the tank I drilled a slightly oversized hole in the side of the bed, (Hated to drill that one LOL) and put a rubber grommet there...then ran the hose from the tank to the adaptor.
You probably know to fill the truck first then the 60 gallon tank?
I have had mine since late 2006. Only problem was a slight leak at the adaptoer...I tightened the clamp and added the two extra ones.
I am pretty sure it came with a shutoff on the tank...I keep a stick handy just in case I ever needed to shut it off...it is in the front left bottom corner, kind of hard to get to. in fact I remember threading the supply hose in first, then moving the tank in place while a friend threaded the hose through the grommet.
The tank takes 20 inches from the bed...I hardly miss it.
Hope all that helps.
Jack
PS...I noticed I got about a half mile to the gallon better fuel mileage when the tank is full...those Duramax's like to work...a little more weight seemed to help!
PSS...if you have the eight fooot bed I think the tank can be a 90 gallon tank.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv2fish View Post
...is that Shiprock in the background on the first pic? Beautiful scenery in that part of America, and sure don,t want to make any mistakes in that country, huh?
That photo was on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Inveterate Tinkerer

White Rim Trail!! that is why it looked so familiar. We did that once long ago...loved it!!!
Jack (I guess?).. thanks for the great info, I will do as you suggest on the clamping. I have 6 1/2 foot bed( is a crew cab) so prob. will stick with the 50-60 gal. tank so I wont lose too much space...we are taking off hard tonneau cover and putting on a camper shell (can do that with a TT) for more storage space and ease of use, etc. Gotta have my Generator and fish poles andSTUFF!
Randy

Randy and Cheryl
2012 Windjammer 3065W
ProPride 3P
Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
PS...I noticed I got about a half mile to the gallon better fuel mileage when the tank is full...those Duramax's like to work...a little more weight seemed to help!
PSS...if you have the eight fooot bed I think the tank can be a 90 gallon tank.
I have a small fleet of trucks and I was told by a Freightliner dealer that trucks will get better fuel mileage when tanks are full. This has me baffled on how that would make a difference. My only thoughts where less work on the pumps to draw fuel up? I don't think weight has to do with it.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Gary and Pam

I have the 96 gal tank/tool box from Northern and really like the added range. The extra fuel lets you pick and choose when to stop for fuel. The space in front of my 5th wheel didn't see much use before. I like the 6" deep tool box that is only to the top of the bed rails. It doesn't block your rear vision when hitching up. I haven't had any problem with the gravity feed and it was nice to drive to DC and back and the truck fuel gauge never went below full.
Nights camped 2010-20 2011-26 2012-22

GSF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #13

Hate to resurrect this old thread but I'm thinking of doing this soon. I didn't need a lot of people room when I bought my truck so I purchased a Silverado 2500 Ext.Cab Dmax/Allison 4x4. The downside to this now that I do tow a trailer is the small 20 gallon gas tank. I have to do too much refueling that it gets to be annoying especially when your close to empty and far away from a station. I haven't decided on a size yet though. 30 or 50 gallons.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #14

transfer tank

When I bought my 2007 Dodge 2500 it had a 95 gal. L shaped tank in it, was not plumbed into the truck. I took it out due to going with a 5th wheel(haven't yet). This is the 1st conversation I have seen on these and was curious if anyone besides people who have a business used these things. I have tried to sell the tank which is brand new and never been hooked up to a system of any kind. I was or am asking $300.00 for and have only had 2 calls on it. I might just put it back in my truck, don't know yet.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #15

To Ruben, if you have the 6 1/2 foot bed and go the way I did with the tank from Northern Tood that sit just under the lip of the bed it will be a 60 gallon tank. The eight foot bed will tank a 90 gallon tank.
The benefit of mine is that I can put the tonneau across it and nobody knows I have a tank, and it looks good!
Maxwell, I think you have a 26 gallon tank.
I got mine because we go to the Keys a lot. It is usually 20 to 25 cents a gallon cheaper in SC than FL. With about an 800 mile range with the two tanks, 26 on the truck and 60 on the tank over time I save money! However, as Maxwell alluded to, not having to stop and fuel often is a huge deal to me!
Jack

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #16

Note to all, if you are doing the gravity feed, sometimes your fuel gauge will go to empty and the low fuel light goes on. This is normal, the computer can't figure it out and goes bonkers. When you stop and cut the truck off it will reset. At least this is my experience on the Duramax.
Jack

Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #17

Hey Jack, no it is a 95 gal. tank says right on the plate, built by RJS or RDS, never had any fuel in it. Nice tank but big "L" shape. Don't know what the gut was going to use it for, but he never did.
maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #18

I have also been thinking hard about an extra fuel tank. My 01' Ram 2500, ext. cab,4x4 long bed has a 35 gal tank. I would like to add a 60-100 gal tank in the bed. Some of my trips are 4,000 miles and diesel pirces vary quite alot! I get between 13-15 mpg towing my V-Cross Super-Lite,29 footer. I get my best gas mileage running 65-70 MPH with about 500lbs of extra weight in the bed!
longarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
To Ruben, if you have the 6 1/2 foot bed and go the way I did with the tank from Northern Tood that sit just under the lip of the bed it will be a 60 gallon tank. The eight foot bed will tank a 90 gallon tank.
The benefit of mine is that I can put the tonneau across it and nobody knows I have a tank, and it looks good!
Ya I have a 6 1/2 foot bed. Do you have a Part Number # for the Tank so I can look it up on Norther Tool site?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #20

Ruben, give me an hour or so, I will look at the tank, I am pretty sure the sticker from Northern Tool is on it.
Thanks
Jack
PS, I have a pretty thick pad on the bottom of the bed, it still just sits under the tonneau.