Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #21

I've had mixed results...some places, I can activate with my Visa card, other places I'll go inside and leave my card with the attendant, he'll turn the pump on, then I come back in, sign the receipt and get my card when I'm done filling. It varies from company to company, it seems.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #22

Truck Stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Question for Those of you that fill up at truck pumps? Do you use a standard credit card? On my recent adventure to pick up our Sabre in OH from NE, I tried three times to use truck pumps but none would allow it as they were non-taxed commercial pumps only. ?? Wasn't an issue, but it's be nice to use the truck pumps
We go to the truck pumps but I alway have to do a pre-pay. Just tell the clerk what you think you will need and they run it up. After you fill up, you only get billed for what you use. Kind of a pain but it is better than trying to fit into a regular diesel pump.
ddokupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #23

I always go to the truck pumps. Even at the Pilot/Flying J with the RV lanes they don't have DEF at the pumps. I can always get it at the truck pumps and it's a lot cheaper than getting it in the jug. For some reason even the truck pumps only have the DEF on the left pumps and most RV's I've seen have the DEF tank on the right side, so I still use a jug to fill my tank and then refill it from the pump. Went to Alaska and back from NC in 2013 and I had to go in at some off brand stations but it was not a big deal.
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #24

Good to know info since I am new to the fifth wheel and diesel pump situation and getting ready to head south for a couple of months and was wondering about the big rig pumps.

Days Camped 2015 - 37
jkrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #25

We go to Pilot or Flying J a lot and use the truck pumps all the time easier to get in and out and have never had a problem using our Pilot / Flying J discount card from Good Sam. I have also used my Discover and Master card with no problems for fuel and DTF.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #26

If you are in AZ. go inside give them your CC. Go fill up and come back in and say i want my 8c a gallon credit. AZ charges truckers (commercial trucks)an extra 8c a gallon for highway improvements. Most places wont tell you that but they did at the pilot in Ehrenberg
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #27
7 Year Class A RV'er

My biggest question is when you said "non-taxed commercial pumps". If you're at a non-taxed pump, those are meant for off road use only, like agricultural. You get caught fueling at one of those and pulling on to the highway, I pity you. My experience is that fuel from those pumps is usually dyed so they can tell if you've been running it. I've never seen that fuel at service plazas, but it could be a Nebraska thing.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #28
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Off Road Diesel is a NO NO in on road vehicles. Yes they are dyed different colors and can be inspected. It is common to get off road diesel in rural areas at fuel stations but you don't want to do it.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #29

Non taxed diesel is Red.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
My biggest question is when you said "non-taxed commercial pumps". If you're at a non-taxed pump, those are meant for off road use only, like agricultural. You get caught fueling at one of those and pulling on to the highway, I pity you. My experience is that fuel from those pumps is usually dyed so they can tell if you've been running it. I've never seen that fuel at service plazas, but it could be a Nebraska thing.
I get the ruby non-taxed of road only fuel. Maybe I misread the pump. Maybe I've actually got it backwards and it wanted to charge more?
Anyway, I ordered my " powered by ruby " bumper sticker for my lil truck. . Thanks for all the advice! I think many of us learned something here.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #31

Maybe I've actually got it backwards and it wanted to charge more??????????????????????
Old 05-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #32

Clarification (from my experience): The Good Sam Club card for Pilot and Flying J usually gets a 3 cent discount and normally requires preapproval before pumping. However, the Good Sam Club Pilot/Flying J Credit Card gets us a 6 cent discount and lets us turn on the pump without preapproval. The only drawback, for some folks, is that the monthly bill must be paid in full.) Last fall, I did a 12,000 trip and got the discount on diesel every time. Sold the fiver in January and got a Class A gasser. We've already put on 5,000 miles, and I still got the 6 cent discount on gasoline. By the way, the "Next Exit" book labels stations (red lettering) with a separate island for gasoline designed just for RVs to allow extra room for maneuvering.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #33

I used a Pilot/Flying J RV card last summer on a 10.5K trip never had a problem.
Texas Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #34

I never take my camper in at truck stations, I have a 100 gal tank in truck bed and I fill up somewhere when I stop for the night. I use a credit card that gives me .05 percent cash back but it only works if you use it at the pump, so if diesel is $3.00 a gal then I save 15 cents a gal. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #35

Used the "truck" pumps from east coast to west (along I-10), from west coast to east (along I-80) plus a lot of small towns along the way. We used them east coast to visit The mid west as well. A majority of the places require you to walk in - not pay at the pump. FlyingJ/Pilot being the exception if you have their card. Be warned, some states cost more per gallon at these pumps; due to a higher tax rate on big rigs. Have fun out there and drive safe!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #36

Just for info; I was pulled over in East Grand Forks, Mn. for a fuel colour check. It took a couple of minutes and they stopped me, as well as others, in the fast lane to do it.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, truck