Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Furrion Camera Alternative

I'm looking into observation cameras mainly for rear observation when driving. Obviously it will come in handy backing into campsites and at home too, but mostly would like to see what's coming at me from behind while driving.

The cheapest I can find the Furrion "Observation" camera FOS48TA-BL is $327.00 online. What are some good alternatives at a cheaper price? I'm open to going with Wifi enabled if it makes cents and sense as well. The biggest problem I see going away from Furrion is trying to get it installed properly if you need a Wifi transmitter. A lot of the stuff I ran across when I searched for "Outdoor Wifi Camera" needed 120V to power them up.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Sky&Scuba

Yea that Furrion kit is junk.

I have been using this setup for years and moved it to several different campers. You can also get a 7" Monitor on amazon for like $25. You can flip the image how you want.

I used the hole where the furrion camera would go on this latest camper we bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9Y0MW/

Here is the Monitor I use...

https://www.amazon.com/Sunvalleytek-...dp/B004Y3FE6O/

I don't leave the Monitor hooked up in the truck all the time. I just set it up in a pocket on the dash of the F150 and I use a Dive Weight to hold it in place. I use Velcro to mount the RX of the Camera to my back window and run power and coax under the seat up to the monitor. I leave the RX and cables in the truck. The Monitor has a quick DIN plug to add it quickly.

I also rewired the power from the camper to the camera in the back. The furrion setup uses your lights circuit to power the camera. That's just stupid. I have a switch in the camper and can turn power on to the camera when ever I want.

If you need more pics let me know. I will put in my truck and take some for you.

You can kinda see the camera on the back here.

I just went out and took this pic.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #3

We ordered this Wireless Car Rearview Kit IR Night Reversing Backup Camera 4 3" LCD Car Monitor | eBay
for $37 shipped I figured what the heck. I installed it above the bumper tapped into the tail light but my camper was prewired for the Furrion so I may move it to the top later. for the cab I cut an old charger with a cigarette plug and wired the receiver and monitor to that. So it works but the range is pushing it, it goes in and out. I was double towing so just wanted to be able to see the jetski once and awhile and the jetski's trailer's tires, and if it was swaying, it accomplished that. I will probably run an RCA from the camera to the front of the camper and put the transmitter there, then it will only have to broadcast 15-20 feet rather then 40 feet, I bet that would make it work better.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendive View Post
Yea that Furrion kit is junk.

I have been using this setup for years and moved it to several different campers. You can also get a 7" Monitor on amazon for like $25. You can flip the image how you want.

I used the hole where the furrion camera would go on this latest camper we bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9Y0MW/

Here is the Monitor I use...

https://www.amazon.com/Sunvalleytek-...dp/B004Y3FE6O/

I don't leave the Monitor hooked up in the truck all the time. I just set it up in a pocket on the dash of the F150 and I use a Dive Weight to hold it in place. I use Velcro to mount the RX of the Camera to my back window and run power and coax under the seat up to the monitor. I leave the RX and cables in the truck. The Monitor has a quick DIN plug to add it quickly.

I also rewired the power from the camper to the camera in the back. The furrion setup uses your lights circuit to power the camera. That's just stupid. I have a switch in the camper and can turn power on to the camera when ever I want.

If you need more pics let me know. I will put in my truck and take some for you.

You can kinda see the camera on the back here.

I just went out and took this pic.

Thanks for all the info. The camera runs on DC Power? Under the questions on Amazon, it says it needs to stay plugged in. Was there some sort of adapter?

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Thanks for all the info. The camera runs on DC Power? Under the questions on Amazon, it says it needs to stay plugged in. Was there some sort of adapter?
Yes Camera and Monitor just run off of 12 VDC.

I am not sure about staying plugged in? What are you referring to? I don't leave the Camera or Monitor Powered all the time. Only when towing.

On the Camera I did not use an adapter I just cut the wires and spiced them in. You only have two Pos and Neg.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #6

When I installed mine on my freedom express I got 12V from the fan in the bathroom. I disconnected the wires from the fan and connected the camera to the switch! When on the road swith on/camera on. When we park at the campground, switch off/camera off..

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Krlpj05 is offline   Reply With Quote