Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Not to you bob-

See, some of this crap, makes me and other people not want to bother with this forum.

ALL makes will have problems with some models or options, that's why they have updated computer flashes and different generations of engines and such. Some makes are more problematic in a certain area than others, and I'm sure if they want to thrive in buisiness they will work on these areas.
- and NOBODY cares who anybody thinks might own part of a certain company! I own 4 of my vehicles, and the bank owns one of them- I don't care how many people or who owned it before me.
largely true and there is no 1 tv out there that does the best for all, you have to take what you like and build it to suit your needs and wants or go with a smaller/lighter load! they all do have problems and I have heard several guys I know that say they will never add any performance parts to there trucks because they'll never get there money back out of them! if you increase 2-4 mpg's and lower egts easier pulling for a cost of $3k over the course of 5 or 6 trips a year 6 to 8 hrs one way, I ask how they figure that one? lol
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
largely true and there is no 1 tv out there that does the best for all, you have to take what you like and build it to suit your needs and wants or go with a smaller/lighter load! they all do have problems and I have heard several guys I know that say they will never add any performance parts to there trucks because they'll never get there money back out of them! if you increase 2-4 mpg's and lower egts easier pulling for a cost of $3k over the course of 5 or 6 trips a year 6 to 8 hrs one way, I ask how they figure that one? lol
What you say is true. My question is if the diesels are so great(and we all know they are pulling machines) is why do they have to mod them to do what? As you say, they'll never get any payback other than braggin' rights!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What you say is true. My question is if the diesels are so great(and we all know they are pulling machines) is why do they have to mod them to do what? As you say, they'll never get any payback other than braggin' rights!
why do we have to get payback?? it is a hobby of mine to build power, I dont have a fast car and dont want one. I sold my ocean fishing boat so no more money into that beast, I dont collect guns, or stamps, or baseball cards, or anything else for that matter.. dont you have any hobby that cost money??? mine is to build a 11.5 sec 7100lb truck

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Creek Cricket View Post
I have a 2012 F-150 ecoboost with the 145" wheelbase. My wife and I are looking to become RVers. We are currently looking at a Windjammer in the 3000 series...35'. Will that be too much for my truck? We plan to pull 1000 miles on relatively level roads. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks
Don't do it...same setup and went to a F250. I is a capable 1/2 ton...just not very confidence inspiring. Stay under 30' and 7000lbs loaded...remember GCWR is the key here...weight of loaded trailer and loaded truck...
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #45

Quote:
if someone chooses to mod one for bragging rights then that's what they want and I have no problem with that. I was not saying they won't get any pay back but rather in that case I was describing a $3k mode to increase 2 to 4 mpg and reduce egt's would indeed pay off after several long trips with the camper if fuel cost alone. I have seen some very well built trucks at the sled pulls that are incredible. first place doesn't even begin to payback what they spent in hard cash to build it let alone blood sweat and tears! those trucks would have to be de-tuned ( depending on how they turned them up) to pull a trailer any real distance too but they can do amazing things with the diesels. I have a money pit hobby of my own called sand rails , all these do is empty the bank account lol. so I don't get into building diesels for anything other than my tow needs. now I know it is not a good idea to pull campers down the interstate at 75 mph but I do when I can ( weather permitting) and ONLY because I took the time to add suspension to the th'er, ie. kyb monomax shocks and dexter ez flex equalizer with wet bolt kit and air ride fifth hitch along with air bags on the truck, smooth as silk at 75 mph so hard to stay awake lol and with the $5k worth of mods I added/made to the truck it pulls my load at that speed under 1050 * egts on a 85 * day and still gets 10.5 mpg! I have a 2011 wolf pack 295 2500 lbs worth of cargo when we head out to the dunes. also went from the cheap 6 ply factory tires to 10 ply so that I am 30% over on loaded weight rating so I can travel faster with out wondering. all st's are rated for 65 mph. imo if your tires are'nt rated for atleast 20% over your load (most aren't because the manufacturers get cheap) i'd be worried at 65 mph even then. there are several write ups about this on the tire manufacterer's sites and just like the stabilizer jacks , the manufacterers of those say do not mount at the far back end of campers and trailers but what do the camper manuf do? lol yep they mount on the far rear lol I spent a lot of money to do this but it now does what I want so I have no problem with it and I know It will pay for itself in the long run or atleast that's what I tell myself lol lol
Old 06-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
why do we have to get payback?? it is a hobby of mine to build power, I dont have a fast car and dont want one. I sold my ocean fishing boat so no more money into that beast, I dont collect guns, or stamps, or baseball cards, or anything else for that matter.. dont you have any hobby that cost money??? mine is to build a 11.5 sec 7100lb truck
damn expensive hobby but very impressive #'s!! is that heavy or light class? I think around here 7500 lbs is heavy class. i'm more of a ford fan but first and foremost #1 fan of anything tuned properly cause there isn't a sweeter sound!!!!!!! once those big hair dryer's light they sound like jet planes taking off!! lol
Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDavis View Post
Don't do it...same setup and went to a F250. I is a capable 1/2 ton...just not very confidence inspiring. Stay under 30' and 7000lbs loaded...remember GCWR is the key here...weight of loaded trailer and loaded truck...
+1!!! I had an '06 wolf pack 30 wp bumper drag and they rated that at 1/2ton towable! no way I would tow that with less than a 1 ton dually!! lol that is why I got rid of it because my f250 psd wasn't enough truck for that th'er loaded side winds would throw me into the next lane and that truck had air bags and heavier springs over fact which was better but no way ever again!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
if you not in an emissions controlled state and still have under 30kmiles on it then delete the dpf filter and save yourself the issues like making oil instead of using it! other change the oil every 3500 miles and trade it off before the extended warranty runs out!
dsrace.
What does this post have to do with with my comment on the similarities of the ecoboost and 6.4l intercoolers that are causing the same concerns with both.There is nothing in my comment that refers to a Dpf delete.If I remember correctly,the original post was to inform people with ecoboost trucks of a concern that some people have had,not about how to increase the power and possibly the fuel economy of the 6.4 liter powerstroke.Maybe you should start your own post on this subject instead of hijacking someone elses.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09grizzly1 View Post
dsrace.
What does this post have to do with with my comment on the similarities of the ecoboost and 6.4l intercoolers that are causing the same concerns with both.There is nothing in my comment that refers to a Dpf delete.If I remember correctly,the original post was to inform people with ecoboost trucks of a concern that some people have had,not about how to increase the power and possibly the fuel economy of the 6.4 liter powerstroke.Maybe you should start your own post on this subject instead of hijacking someone elses.

09grizzly1
hp increase doesn't come from dpf delete maybe some mpg increase but didn't see that in your quote caption. when I say quote caption I am re-ferring to the quote you are re-ferring to. the reference to the innercooler problem goes deeper than condensation and more so in the 6.4, in the 6.4 the dpf helps in pugging a few things. if you knew how it works then you would understand my statement but you don't so........all has to do with ccv and cyl/head pressures and blow by. would take far to long to type all that out to explain it to you. and hijacking someone elses post!? just calm down now.... i wasn't attacking your truck just some words of advice to save you some headache! so just ask your mechanic next time your in for an oil change.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #50

dsracer.
I did ask a ford diesel tech(28 yrs Ford diesel tech)-Me.I do not own an ecoboost or a diesel,just work on lots.My 04 f250 5.4L has enough power for my trailer and gets 12mpg(canadian gallon) towing and 22 mpg empty(longer trip) @ max 100kph.All i was saying is the info that you are supplying(good info) should be in a thread of it's own.
09grizzly1.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #51
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Not having a dog in this fight, I would say a lot of folks have hijacked the tread as the OP was alerting folks to the EcoBoost, not any other engines or problems.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #52
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Not to you bob-

See, some of this crap, makes me and other people not want to bother with this forum.

ALL makes will have problems with some models or options, that's why they have updated computer flashes and different generations of engines and such. Some makes are more problematic in a certain area than others, and I'm sure if they want to thrive in buisiness they will work on these areas.
- and NOBODY cares who anybody thinks might own part of a certain company! I own 4 of my vehicles, and the bank owns one of them- I don't care how many people or who owned it before me.
Be nice if you'd quote what yer offended by, so I know what to be offended by.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #53

Amen!Thanks OldCoot.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #54
Steve Jackson

Quote:

Not having a dog in this fight, I would say a lot of folks have hijacked the tread as the OP was alerting folks to the EcoBoost, not any other engines or problems.
Yea this thread got way out of control. It was nothing but to inform Ecoboost owners of the issue nothing else. If it had been a Dodge, Chevy, or any other brand I would have done the same thing.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #55
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Be nice if you'd quote what yer offended by, so I know what to be offended by.
I believe your "x3" was a simpler way of saying what I was getting at- pretty much the bickering like little kids doing the " my daddy can kick....." and deviating so far from the OP.
I'm out!
-sorry op for my part
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Creek Cricket View Post
I have a 2012 F-150 ecoboost with the 145" wheelbase. My wife and I are looking to become RVers. We are currently looking at a Windjammer in the 3000 series...35'. Will that be too much for my truck? We plan to pull 1000 miles on relatively level roads. I would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks
You will likely be over your GVW unless you have the max tow or max payload. My Screw weighs about 7550# with trailer and everyone loaded. My trailer weighs about 8800# and is 32' long. I am pulling it with a 5.4 with no problems. Some folks on this forum think you need a f450 to pull a popup!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C1 View Post

You will likely be over your GVW unless you have the max tow or max payload. My Screw weighs about 7550# with trailer and everyone loaded. My trailer weighs about 8800# and is 32' long. I am pulling it with a 5.4 with no problems. Some folks on this forum think you need a f450 to pull a popup!
This setup on a half-ton? The F150 GCVW is only around 15000lbs...which puts you over....it can do it...just not optimal..had similar setup with a harrowing experience and went to a F250. And only got around 8mpg with the 5.4 and a similar trailer. 5.4 is a beast, but the motor will not be the issue..like you said he may have issues with GVW and GCVW.
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C1 View Post

What size pop up?

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #59
Trailer Trash

The F-150 with Ecoboost.........a bunch of guys at my work have them 2012-2013 models. One guy has the max tow package and all blinged out with extras. NONE of them complain about a lag in acceleration during cold damp humid conditions. Those conditions have been in Minnesota now consistently for over a month now. They are bitchin about the weather, not their new trucks.

So the remote possibility exists that under the just the right conditions, the engine could stumble, lag, etc. So the truck is under an investigation. La de dah. I bet ya the Jeeps in the news this week get recalled for gas tank fires before the Ecoboost F-150s get a recall for the throttle lag issue. And Jeep said no way to the recall.

Oh and bubba, here is a nice entry level popup. Yup this luxury rv has a 2nd floor that pops up.

joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #60
Site Team

ALL manufacturers have had their issues over the years.
As cars and trucks get even more sophisticated/complicated it can only get
worse.

MY 04 left me stranded in the Colorado mountains twice!
First time was way back in 05. We were on our first "out west" trip.
I was somewhere in Colorado, don't remember where but we were climbing
a pass. I was in 2nd and hard on the gas for several minutes. As we approached the top the engine suddenly lost power and started to stumble.
It felt exactly like vapor lock. In fact the engine eventually died completely.
We sat on the side of the road wondering what the heck to do. No cell
signal! I kept trying to re-start. Eventually after about 20 minutes it started and stumbled over the top.
We had not more problems that trip.
It didn't happen again for 5 years and I literally forgot about it.

Fast forward to 2010. 2nd time to Colorado. This time with a bigger
trailer! As soon as we passed Colorado Springs and were climbing to
reach Canon City the same thing happened! At one point I was free
wheeling down the hills and re-starting and gunning up the other sides.
We eventually wound up on the side of the road again
Popped a cold one and opened the hood and waited for it to cool.
After 30 min, it re-started and we made it to Canon City.
There is a chevy dealer there!! The shop manager immediately knew what
the problem was.
He said Chevy had a "bulletin" out for this exact problem. He sees it all
the time from flatlanders like me who are visiting his state! The cure was
a "high performance" fuel pump. It was vapor lock. The higher pressure
pump will compress the fuel in the injector rails enough to keep it from
vaporizing.
My extended warranty paid for itself that day. The cost for "repair" was
over $1000
I think it should have been a recall and not my problem at all.
Or those era trucks should have come with a dash warning sticker that
said "not for use in the mountains"!!

Long story-- sorry. My point is they all have issues. Sometimes they
step up and fix them, sometimes they don't .

PS When we crossed Monarch Pass with no problems, I bought a post
card and send our heart felt thanks to that service department and specifically the mechanic who worked fast to get us back on the road.
They literally saved our vacation!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote