Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
Site Team

I've had zero defects and zero issues with my Ecoboost. 25,000 miles on it now with about 9,000 of those towing the Surveyor. Tows like a champ.

I'm sure it is hard to know exactly how to approach this issue. The number of trucks with the issue appears to be relatively small. The fix of replacing the intercooler and reflashing the ECM seems to work for most people with the issue. I can see why it may not make sense to recall all trucks when nearly all are doing just fine. But it is a serious issue for those experiencing the problem and it could put someone in a dangerous traffic situation. So far, Ford appears to be retrofitting new intercoolers on an exception basis when the consumer experiences the issue. The replacement intercoolers apparently have been in short supply; although that is probably a temporary situation. Tough if you are waiting for one though. I can see where people might be nervous; thinking that if conditions are just right that it could happen to them. Ford has the tough job of maintaining brand integrity and loyalty versus expenditures of millions of dollars for retrofits.

As for myself, I'm not worried. I've towed for hours through rain and mountainous terrain without issue. I suspect that if I was going to have an issue, that it would have showed up by now.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Oklahoma Proud

Not to you bob-

See, some of this crap, makes me and other people not want to bother with this forum.

ALL makes will have problems with some models or options, that's why they have updated computer flashes and different generations of engines and such. Some makes are more problematic in a certain area than others, and I'm sure if they want to thrive in buisiness they will work on these areas.
- and NOBODY cares who anybody thinks might own part of a certain company! I own 4 of my vehicles, and the bank owns one of them- I don't care how many people or who owned it before me.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #33

^ what he said. I am with ya brother they all have there problems period.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Yea, 96 "reported" cases is no big deal....unless you're one of the 96 and it happened at the worst possible situation!
So you don't think I can find instances from all manufacturers of issues that could be safety concerns??? What this boils down to is that ever since Ford introduced the EB, brand loyalists have been hoping something would occur where they could say "I told you to get a ______ instead." I just don't happen to think that out of the multitudes of thousands of EB's sold, 96 complaints is the smoking gun those types have been waiting for.

As far as human nature goes, I tend to agree that most people feel a kick to their pride when a purchasing decision seems to have been a bad one. I don't think we can assign that attribute to only Ford owners by any means. I actually contacted a transmission guy once about the cost to rebuild one for a Dodge I had. I asked him if he saw a lot of Dodge tranny issues since I had encountered a few others with problems. He said he actually had to rebuild more Chevy's than anything(this was an independent guy that worked on all makes and models). I was shocked because I hadn't heard of Chevy's having tranny issues. Apparently the Chevy guys were pretty good at keeping that info to themselves.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #35
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDuke1 View Post
I had the issue on my 2012. They replaced the intercooler with a newer design and flashed the computer with a new program. That was in February and I haven't had any issues since (fingers crossed). During that time I haven't driven it any different than before and towed also.
Sounds like an easy fix...good deal!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Not to you bob-

See, some of this crap, makes me and other people not want to bother with this forum.

ALL makes will have problems with some models or options, that's why they have updated computer flashes and different generations of engines and such. Some makes are more problematic in a certain area than others, and I'm sure if they want to thrive in buisiness they will work on these areas.
- and NOBODY cares who anybody thinks might own part of a certain company! I own 4 of my vehicles, and the bank owns one of them- I don't care how many people or who owned it before me.
I'm with you, too. I would expect a 12 year old to be brand loyal because of what his daddy drives. But when a grown man honestly thinks that one brand as a whole is superior in every way to another brand, I just laugh. I tend to be a Ford guy, but I don't think someone is inferior because they own a Dodge, Chevy or Toyota. I was actively looking for a Dodge with 5.9 before I bought my current truck, but the prices were severely inflated. Also looked for Chevy's with the D-Max but they were few and far between. I would have taken either of those had one shown up that was within my budget and well taken care of.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #37
Steve Jackson

Boy I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my OP. I was just posting the story for any Ford owners out there that may not have heard about the problems and to keep an eye out. I'm not really a brand loyal person. I bought my Toyota because I got a good price on it. Any truck that can pull my TT is good enough for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #38
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Boy I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my OP. I was just posting the story for any Ford owners out there that may not have heard about the problems and to keep an eye out. I'm not really a brand loyal person. I bought my Toyota because I got a good price on it. Any truck that can pull my TT is good enough for me.
I understood your reasoning for posting, many of us just like to poke on the forum (all in fun) on various topics...gets spoiled when you get folks that wear their pants two sizes too small taking it too seriously.
Good job OP & Happy Summer Camping!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09grizzly1 View Post
Actually the 6.4 l diesel have the same concern,You would have though that Ford would have used that info when designing where the intercooler outlet was put(at the bottom of the intercooler where the moisture settles when it is condensed).
if you not in an emissions controlled state and still have under 30kmiles on it then delete the dpf filter and save yourself the issues like making oil instead of using it! other change the oil every 3500 miles and trade it off before the extended warranty runs out!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Actually, spraying a mixture of water and methanol directly into the intake is a popular performance mod for diesels. Boosts hp and lowers egts..no joke. Most use windshield washer fluid.
I have 2 good friends a that purchased and installed stage III sytems and 2 that were thinking about it. the 2 that installed them, 1 duramax and 2010 dodge. they do increase hp and reduce egt's how ever they finally stepped up to an efficient performance turbo over the poor stock ones and have since shut the water/meth systems off and both said they wish they would've swapped the turbo's first! the performace turbo's do 90% of what the water/meth does with more responsive and higher boost. w/o all the hassle of the water /meth!