Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #61

it would be interesting to know out of 96 or so complaints meantioned, how many were manual or auto trans? different heat range thought is why i wonder. in the grand scheme of things 96 or so reports is minimal compared to the # of trucks they have built and sold and with each new design the consumer gets to do the final r&d lol

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09grizzly1 View Post
dsracer.
I did ask a ford diesel tech(28 yrs Ford diesel tech)-Me.I do not own an ecoboost or a diesel,just work on lots.My 04 f250 5.4L has enough power for my trailer and gets 12mpg(canadian gallon) towing and 22 mpg empty(longer trip) @ max 100kph.All i was saying is the info that you are supplying(good info) should be in a thread of it's own.
09grizzly1.
oct 1 marks 20 years myself
there are several reply's that could be in a thread of there own but...........

Originally Posted by 09grizzly1
Actually the 6.4 l diesel have the same concern,You would have though that Ford would have used that info when designing where the intercooler outlet was put(at the bottom of the intercooler where the moisture settles when it is condensed).

coming from a mech this makes sense but not knowing that, i took it you either have had an issue or were possibly having an issue with a 6.4l and was just offering advice. it's kind of hard to compare the 2 fuel types, but you are right. a drain valve underneath would've been a nice addition as well, on all models. don't know how many would actually drain, but still.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #63

I'm on page 4 and got lazy... didn't want to skim the rest of the posts... but to chime my 2 cents in...
FYI you must run premium/high octane fuel in an ecoboost while towing. If you're running regular unleaded perhaps it may contribute
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDavis View Post
This setup on a half-ton? The F150 GCVW is only around 15000lbs...which puts you over....it can do it...just not optimal..had similar setup with a harrowing experience and went to a F250. And only got around 8mpg with the 5.4 and a similar trailer. 5.4 is a beast, but the motor will not be the issue..like you said he may have issues with GVW and GCVW.
An F150 Crewcab 145" WB with the max tow package has a GCWR of 17,100#. I am we'll below that.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #65

I realize this post is way off topic in spots but we just finished a trip (6 hours round trip) pulling approximately 8,000# with our EcoBoost. Rained on the way up to the campground and rained for 3 straight hours on the return home. The rain was as heavy as I have ever driven in and also mixed with dense fog at times. Plenty of power with no issues. Considerable hilly terrain during parts of the drive. Filled up with mid-grade gas. Running between 21-23 liters/100kms and driving between 90-100 kms/hour. Still experimenting with the sweet spot and gear for max gas mileage.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C1 View Post

An F150 Crewcab 145" WB with the max tow package has a GCWR of 17,100#. I am we'll below that.
With the 3.73 axle ratio. I was referencing mine which had the 3.53 axle ratio. Which is GCWR at 15100lbs. I am only responding based on my personal experience. With "safety" in mind I would stay below 80% of your GCWR. With that, the length of that trailer is what was a bit of an issue...35' was a bit much...the short wheelbase of the truck created a "crabbing" feeling of the truck...shy of running a $2300 Hensley, it will push around a bit on the highway... Just giving you info based on my personal experience..My new F250 is as stable as a rock...the F150 just pushed around a bit at about 14000lbs when loaded with the family and gear...
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote