Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

If you think about this from a "pilot's perspective" you will understand why (on average and at the same highway speed) that:

1) A truck at the same weight as when disconnected will get better gas mileage than a truck at that weight towing.

2) Towing a pop up will get better gas mileage than a travel trailer.

3) Towing a travel trailer will get better mileage than a 5th wheel.

The reason is DRAG. The larger the total FRONTAL surface you are trying to push into the relative wind, the more engine power is required to do so.

The old child's trick of holding your hand out the window edge on and then turning your hand 90 degrees will show what I mean. (whips back right?)

The taller you are, the more drag.
The faster you go, the more drag.

The more drag, the more fuel used for the same speed.
Remember WIND adds or subtracts to your relative speed.

Driving 60 into a 10 MPH headwind is like trying to hold your hand against a 70 MPH wind. A 20 MPH headwind is like driving 80 while towing.

When driving into a headwind, slow down to keep your fuel economy steady.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you think about this from a "pilot's perspective" you will understand why (on average and at the same highway speed) that:

3) Towing a travel trailer will get better mileage than a 5th wheel.
Not in my case. I picked up milage.. With my first TT I saw 9, the second 10 to11, with my current 5 er 12.5 all day and it weights 5k more, I also ran a topper on the truck when I towed the TT's... Father in law has the same truck as me and I could not understand why he always got better them me when he pulled his jayco designer 5er

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
Not in my case. I picked up milage.. With my first TT I saw 9, the second 10 to11, with my current 5 er 12.5 all day and it weights 5k more, I also ran a topper on the truck when I towed the TT's... Father in law has the same truck as me and I could not understand why he always got better them me when he pulled his jayco designer 5er

Obviously you fall into the "YMMV" Category
(Your mileage may vary)

Speed has a lot to do with mileage and I drive a lot slower than I used to.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
Resident Masshole

This thread is making me feel a little better about my MPG's.

6.2L Gas, getting 8.9MPG pulling me Roo no matter what I do. I tend to keep it right around 65mph. Getting ~13.5mpg without it. (admittedly, my right foot turns to lead when I don't have a trailer attached...)

Even though she's brand new and I'm really happy with the truck overall, this will be the last gas engine I ever buy in a truck.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #25

Like Force, I'm feeling better now. I just drove my TT for the first time from Boulder Co to Grand Lake CO this weekend. I've never seen my gas gauge move that fast!!! But, then again, I was towing from Boulder (5430') up over Berthoud Pass (11,300'), down to Grand Lake (8500'?) and back. But my little Nissan with the towing package coolers did a great job!
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
You must have a mutant LBZ then, cause I am nowhere close to that, close to 10-11mpg towing a v front 10K loaded 5er with a extended cab short bed. You maybe have a real soft foot.

When I worked in the automotive emission business a number of years ago, we would see notable differences in the fuel economy numbers depending on what technician was driving the car on the dyno. There was somewhat of a game going on trying to get the "best" test drivers so the fuel economy numbers came out better.

Anyway as HERC said, your milage may vary...
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #27

When you change from a low profile vehicle to a high profile one the decrease in fuel mileage is dramatic. Here are a few tips that will help improve your mileage.

Anticipate your stops. In other words don’t keep your foot on the gas pedal until it’s time to hit the brake. Coasting a bit before stopping reduces fuel consumption.

Keep the tires to the proper inflation rate.

Don’t turn on your vehicles A/C until it’s necessary. We always get an early morning start so that we don’t have to use the A/C until later in the morning.

As previously mention, slow down. If you’re running at 69 MPH and drop down to 62 MPH I’ll bet you will be able to see the difference.

Try to drive at a constant speed.

Keep you load as light as possible. On local camping trips we travel with the fresh water tank empty and fill it up at the campground. When traveling across the country we keep about 10 gallons in the fresh water tank for emergencies. Look at the gear you’re taking with you, do you really need that over-sized gas grill, floor jack, 4 bicycles that never come off the back of the trailer, arc welder, etc?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #28

Also....remember, drag increases ^2, or, the square.

So, if you increase your speed from 62mph to 69mph, you've increased by a ratio of 1.1129. But you must square that so 1.1129^2 = 1.2385. So, your wind resistance goes up by roughly 23.8% when increasing from 62mph to 69mph.

Drive slower, you'll still get there.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Anticipate your stops. In other words donít keep your foot on the gas pedal until itís time to hit the brake. Coasting a bit before stopping reduces fuel consumption.
Hey Oakman, How does that tip work? I would think it would only help if the light changes before you get there and you can keep up your speed. I figure if you stop, you stop. Now while you are cruising down the road I can see less slowing and less acceleration would be a reason to slow down slowly so you don't bunch up on the guy in front of you and slow down more than you need to. Or am I missing something.?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
You must have a mutant LBZ .
Well it is a mutant

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas