Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
This thread is making me feel a little better about my MPG's.

6.2L Gas, getting 8.9MPG pulling me Roo no matter what I do. I tend to keep it right around 65mph. Getting ~13.5mpg without it. (admittedly, my right foot turns to lead when I don't have a trailer attached...)

Even though she's brand new and I'm really happy with the truck overall, this will be the last gas engine I ever buy in a truck.
I wondered about the GM 6.2. That mileage is on par with the Ford 6.2. I'm averaging just under 14 with a mix of hwy and city solo; and 9 pulling our Crusader at 65 mph.

2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
26l/100 is about right that's abt 10.8 imp mpg. The best I have got with a Hemi was 10.5 going from Saskatchewan to Ontario and back a few years back. The worst I got was 6. Running at 60mph will help abit, as to a cover if you don't have one or need one for any other reason do not waste you money on one for trying to increase your mileage. It was proven on myth busters that covering the bed is a wash to increase mileage. I run our truck with the retrax cover open and closed and see no difference that can be reliably measured. The bed just looks nicer with it closed I guess. I always ran minimum 89 octane in our hemi trucks when hauling, it did not make any big difference in mileage but they pull harder with higher octane.
I'm glad you addressed the fact that an un-covered truck bed has no effect on mileage. I knew this years before the Mythbusters proved it. In fact a truck bed with the tailgate down gets worse mileage and so does a truck with one of those net type replacements for the gate. The truck manufacturers are not clueless and the design of the truck is such that the airflow goes over the tailgate. I knew this by riding in the back of a truck once and could see where the airflow was. It is NOT hitting the tailgate like un-informed people think.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Camper Less Camping

To the OP (Marco)...don't fight the mpg battle, just budget for it with each trip & camp on!...or else you'll be a miserable camper worrying about fuel consumption every time you pull the barn door down the road
Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #34

I was taught to drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and gas pedal.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Resident Masshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
I was taught to drive like there is a raw egg between your foot and gas pedal.
That's how I plan to teach my daughters to drive.

I on the other hand was taught "when in doubt, nail it"
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
When you change from a low profile vehicle to a high profile one the decrease in fuel mileage is dramatic. Here are a few tips that will help improve your mileage.

Anticipate your stops. In other words don’t keep your foot on the gas pedal until it’s time to hit the brake. Coasting a bit before stopping reduces fuel consumption.

Keep the tires to the proper inflation rate.

Don’t turn on your vehicles A/C until it’s necessary. We always get an early morning start so that we don’t have to use the A/C until later in the morning.

As previously mention, slow down. If you’re running at 69 MPH and drop down to 62 MPH I’ll bet you will be able to see the difference.

Try to drive at a constant speed.

Keep you load as light as possible. On local camping trips we travel with the fresh water tank empty and fill it up at the campground. When traveling across the country we keep about 10 gallons in the fresh water tank for emergencies. Look at the gear you’re taking with you, do you really need that over-sized gas grill, floor jack, 4 bicycles that never come off the back of the trailer, arc welder, etc?
Hello Oakman,

I see that you drive a Diesel. From what I understand of the AC on, it would have an effect on a gasser, but with a Diesel there is no effect in mpg......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
26l/100 is about right that's abt 10.8 imp mpg. The best I have got with a Hemi was 10.5 going from Saskatchewan to Ontario and back a few years back. The worst I got was 6. Running at 60mph will help abit, as to a cover if you don't have one or need one for any other reason do not waste you money on one for trying to increase your mileage. It was proven on myth busters that covering the bed is a wash to increase mileage. I run our truck with the retrax cover open and closed and see no difference that can be reliably measured. The bed just looks nicer with it closed I guess. I always ran minimum 89 octane in our hemi trucks when hauling, it did not make any big difference in mileage but they pull harder with higher octane.

From the 'myth busters' show that I was watching they were looking in the arrow dynamics and mileage with the tailgate down or up or a cover. The diagrams shown would bring the air over the cab and down into the bed and with the tail gate up, swirl back forward to the cab and down again. This swirling motion acted as if it had a full cab topper on it and cut through the air more smoothly. With the tail gate down the drafting air would flow out the back and in a small reality cause a drag on the truck instead of a pocket of air that made the other air go over the truck and create less drag. From the show that I watched I do not recall them doing a study of pulling a trailer hundreds of miles to test the mileage of a cab topper verses a no cab topper. With no cab topper the forward swirl would be disrupted by the trailer unit hitting a wall of air coming at it. Thus holding back the truck with so much drag and increasing your fuel usage. As with big semis that have an air foil on their hoods and on top of their cabs, trucks with toppers that go up to the top of the cab will keep the following unit have less air drag points as it knifes through the air in the forward motion.

City driving will kill your mpg. as one uses higher rpms at lower gears. For driving at cruising speed, one wants the highest gears that can be used at the lowest rpms. Many do not and can not run in Overdrive as they must keep there rpms up in order to go up and down hills, ect. I installed what some consider a bullet proof life time warrantied transmission and my truck is Chipped, to where I can run in OverDrive with no change in rpms for hundreds of miles on the open road.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...bts-trans.html

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Hello Oakman,

I see that you drive a Diesel. From what I understand of the AC on, it would have an effect on a gasser, but with a Diesel there is no effect in mpg......
That's what I thought too. I discovered differently, at least with my 6.4.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
To the OP (Marco)...don't fight the mpg battle, just budget for it with each trip & camp on!...or else you'll be a miserable camper worrying about fuel consumption every time you pull the barn door down the road
best reply so far.....

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #40

Lol. Po-boy.
Part of doing business.

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas