Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #41
Citrus County, Fl.

Relax and enjoy your camping and don't worry about the gas mileage. As others have stated, the wind resistance towing a brick is going to ruin your gas mileage. Anybody with a gas powered vehicle is going to get in that range. If you are an occasional camper with a few weekends here and there and 2 weeks vacation once a year look at the benefits you have driving your Tacoma that will last forever (my 92 has 459,000 miles).

Many on here will tell you to buy a diesel but unless you are going to pull over mountain grades and tow 6,000 miles a year it would be foolish to invest more than I spent for my house to buy a diesel.

Go camping when you can and savor the memories that will last forever.
99 Terry 31G
Old 11-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #42

I heard somewhere that aerodynamics do not play a factor under 45 mph. Whether it was my wiser older brother or an expert on a talk show, I don't remember...

The weight of the TT really only matters on hills up or down.

I remember when 'they' started to make semi trucks aerodynamic. They became 80,000 pound rolling missiles flying down mountains.

Some genius forgot that aerodynamics or the lack of - helped slow down the large cars on hills. Kenworth was the first to build a aerodynamic truck with the T600 nicknamed 'anteater'. It was a rolling missile.

Later came the 'Jake Brake'. Thankfully!

I pull a 21' TT 5500# with a 2004 Silverado 4x4 4.8 litre V-8. On the Highway (65mph) I get 8-9 mpg. On the back roads where I keep it 55 and under I get 11-12 mpg.

I bought a fiberglass aerodynamic cap for the pick-up bed and it helped a little bit. No, I didn't get the 10 mpg increase I was hoping for but I probably got an 0.10mpg increase. Who can really measure these things? At least my firewood stays dry.

Aerodynamics is the answer to better fuel mileage. Or keep it under 45 mph and hope for a tailwind.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Awesome answer to the “why” response to your “unhitch the trailer” reply to the OP. I’m 100% positive i wouldn’t have been nearly as nice if i was in your shoes.
That was the funniest come back ever, it cracked me up. [emoji12] [emoji13] [emoji14]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
That was RUDE!

The OP came here looking for an answer to a valid concern and the only comment you can make is that your 100% positive that you wouldn't have been nearly as nice if I was in your shoes"!

Why not offer up a helpful answer. I'm sure that would be more appreciative.

And people wonder why some people never come back.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #44

Quote:
That was RUDE!

The OP came here looking for an answer to a valid concern and the only comment you can make is that your 100% positive that you wouldn't have been nearly as nice if I was in your shoes"!

Why not offer up a helpful answer. I'm sure that would be more appreciative.

And people wonder why some people never come back.
I'm sorry but you're wrong. He should have asked those questions before he bought the TT he pulls with an underpowered V6 Tacoma.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #45

Like everyone else said,gas mileage won’t be good with the combo that you have. If you are like a lot of us,changing tow vehicle is probably not an option. Speed reduction helps the most,followed by having the truck in the right gear. To find this out quicker one type of gauge that tells instant fuel mileage would help. Do you have one or does the trucks dash tell you MPG? Sorry I am not familiar with Toyota’s. Jay
Old 11-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
No.

You are pulling a barn door through the air with a v-6.
Air resistance affects gas mileage more than weight does.

Even v-8 tow vehicles only average around 9-11 mpg.

If you want better mileage, get a diesel or get a low profile trailer, like a popup or A-frame.
And you're perfectly right. I pull a 2017, 24' Salem Cruise Light with a 2015 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. I get between 10 - 12 mpg. If I'm on the flats with no wind I'll hit 14 mpg. In the mountains while crossing the Rockies by Wolf Creek last summer, 8 mpg.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #47

2006 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2wd 5.3L 3.73 pulling 7400# and getting 9.5 - 10mpg.

I run BP 93 while towing, if I can. Exxon is my 2nd choice. Valero gas gets me down to 7-8mpg and Sheetz sees me in the 8-9 range.

I also have a cold air intake and the truck has been tuned. This doesn't produce any noticable difference in mpg, but throttle response and take off have improved.

Make sure your tires are inflated properly and, as mentioned above, keep up with maintenance.

There's really nothing you can do to improve it. You can buy a bigger truck, but is the difference in mpg going to offset the monthly payment?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 11-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpat View Post
Does a weight distribution bar help
The weight distribution bar has nothing to do with mpg. It will help you have a safer, more stable ride, you won't be twisting in the wind. I have one on my Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.
I have exactly your trailer, a 2017 Salem T241QBXL Cruise Light. I would highly recommend you put stabelizer bars on it. As far as mpg, unfortunately there is nothing you can do. You have what you have. Be happy you can pull it, period. Your problems will come when you'll be pulling across mountains. That little Tacoma will be underpowered, never mind mpg.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpat View Post
I have a 2017 Salem cruise lite. I tow it with a 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 with a tow package. I get 8-9 mpg. Is there anything I can do to get better.
A lot of conditions determine gas milage such as how fast you drive with trailor in tow, how hard you accelerate from stops as well as the weight of the camper. I drive a F150 ecoboost v6 with trailor pkg and get about 9 or 10 mpg when terrain is hilly and about 12 to 14 mpg on straight flatter drives. Being in a hurry to arrive at your next spot will also affect your milage so take your time and enjoy the scenery!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Rider1 View Post
I'm sorry but you're wrong. He should have asked those questions before he bought the TT he pulls with an underpowered V6 Tacoma.
Easy to sit back and dictate to people what they should have done or come up with other useless posts.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #51

I don't sweat mileage. When I'm making time, and there's a headwind... Ouch. But I know I'm trading time for money.

Regarding underpowered......seems like we all forget 15 (ok 20) years ago. A 350 could make maybe 220hp (guestimating). It was just fine back then. So you go slower up the hills, BFD.

My dad's full sized 1995 3/4 ton Chevy van probably had the hp of my new-ish Honda, and only a 3 speed auto transmission. We went all over the west with that thing and a 24' non-light trailer in tow.

So yeah, use what you have and enjoy it. Don't let the internet spend your money for you.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #52

Quote:
The weight distribution bar has nothing to do with mpg. It will help you have a safer, more stable ride, you won't be twisting in the wind. I have one on my Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi.
I have exactly your trailer, a 2017 Salem T241QBXL Cruise Light. I would highly recommend you put stabelizer bars on it. As far as mpg, unfortunately there is nothing you can do. You have what you have. Be happy you can pull it, period. Your problems will come when you'll be pulling across mountains. That little Tacoma will be underpowered, never mind mpg.
Not to take away the validity from your statement, but, the OP has a Salem Cruise Lite 195BH which puts his weight at approximately 1200 lbs less than yours. I don't see the comparison. Yes, same brand, 2 totally different models. He has a single axle as well.

( If you look at my signature you will see that you and I are more of a comparison than the OP. )

And as so many before the OP, myself included, before I got a wee bit smarter, I'm sure he was given a hand full of BS via the Dealer as to "Oh Yes Sir, you can surely pull this with that"! Can't really fault him for that, he is learning by asking, albeit, after the fact, but nonetheless learning.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #53

Not beaing mean or anything or wanting to make anyone mad. But if anyone is looking for good gas mileage then something’s to not buy. One do not buy campers, they are like a big block bushing through the wind while being towed. Don’t buy a boat has same effect when towed. Don’t pull an enclosed trailer. No matter what you are towing you gas mileage is going to drop. If you have a diesel maybe not as much. But you pay more for diesel fuel and more when purchased about 8,000 more. Advantage better mileage when towing but you have to decide is the extra cost of the motor and extra cost of fuel worth it. I have a diesel so I think so. Just the price of mind that I can tow what I have and want without a problem is worth it to me. But that is just me. Does the cost equal out who knows maybe if you keep and use it enough.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #54

Quote:
Not to take away the validity from your statement, but, the OP has a Salem Cruise Lite 195BH which puts his weight at approximately 1200 lbs less than yours. I don't see the comparison. Yes, same brand, 2 totally different models. He has a single axle as well.

( If you look at my signature you will see that you and I are more of a comparison than the OP. )

And as so many before the OP, myself included, before I got a wee bit smarter, I'm sure he was given a hand full of BS via the Dealer as to "Oh Yes Sir, you can surely pull this with that"! Can't really fault him for that, he is learning by asking, albeit, after the fact, but nonetheless learning.
You're right.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymoore5 View Post
I️ have a 2016 RAM 2500 diesel unloaded on hwy at 70 mph I’ll get 19-20 mpg. Pulling the 5th wheel drops to 13

X2
Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Easy to sit back and dictate to people what they should have done or come up with other useless posts.
Amen..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymoore5 View Post
I️ have a 2016 RAM 2500 diesel unloaded on hwy at 70 mph I’ll get 19-20 mpg. Pulling the 5th wheel drops to 13
Well gosh..
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Sorry, but it's true. You don't have to be ugly about it. I did many months of research before I decided what will work, what my needs are and what I can afford. In other words. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #59

Other than don't tow the camper, keep air pressure up, leave unnecessary stuff at home, and the biggie slow down
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Sorry, but it's true. You don't have to be ugly about it. I did many months of research before I decided what will work, what my needs are and what I can afford. In other words. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Agreed! This is the BEST ADVICE that anyone could give to a beginner.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, mileage