Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Gas Mileage Advice

We have a 2010 Ford F150. Originally we were getting 17.4 mpg, this past year we got new tires (wish we wouldn't have we hate them) but that dropped us to 15.3 mpg. When we were towing the pop up, it would get about 13.5-13.8, but now that we have the 23 IKSS we got 8.5 (and this was flat I-10 driving)
Would love some advice on how to get better gas mileage. We can't afford to replace those new tires for awhile so that is not an option."
Is there a way to load the truck/trailer that gets better mileage?

2017 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS Solid Surface "Belle"
2010 Ford F150
"Life is Better in the Outdoors"
Days Camped 2016 - 28 days
Days Camped 2017 22days w/lots more planned
stoppercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

2 mpg because of new tires seems like a lot. I assume tire pressure is where it is supposed to be? An engine tune-up can make a big difference if it's been a while.
chroniekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

Un sprung mass is an Mpg killers. If the tires he went with are heavier, MPG goes down. More aggressive tread pattern and MpG goes down. If the diameter is bigger this can also throw off your mpg calculations.

drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppercamper View Post
We have a 2010 Ford F150. Originally we were getting 17.4 mpg, this past year we got new tires (wish we wouldn't have we hate them) but that dropped us to 15.3 mpg. When we were towing the pop up, it would get about 13.5-13.8, but now that we have the 23 IKSS we got 8.5 (and this was flat I-10 driving)
Would love some advice on how to get better gas mileage. We can't afford to replace those new tires for awhile so that is not an option."
was the mpg with the pup or with the new trailer? I'm sure if double the weight and adding a bigger sail in the back reduces mpg.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #6

Three words. Wind Wind Wind! Wind resistance goes up with the square of speed. That's why 60 MPH does so much better on gas than 70 MPH. A couple of questions, what size were the original tires and what size is on the truck now? If like a lot of people, you put on bigger tires and did not get the ECM recalibrated for the new tire size that alone will throw off the MPG calculation because the truck will have went farther than the speedo says it did. That will make the gas mileage seem lower than it really is. Look at the edge of the tread on the tires that are on the truck now. Do the edges have channels cut into them as part of the tread design that allows water and mud to be thrown out the side of the tire? If so those will get less mileage than the tires with a solid rib at the outer edge because air gets thrown out the side of the tire creating more drag. Post a pic of your tires please. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppercamper View Post
Use cruise control, no rapid acceleration, keep the speed down. Check your odometer/speedometer against your GPS, because, as some responders have said, tire size can affect readings. I get a difference of about 5% between my winter and summer tires.

Good luck.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #8

If the tires are the same size, one thing I would look for is any unusual wear on the tires. Long story but the short version is, I thought my 2 mpg drop was due to just being different tires. It wasn't, it was because they messed up my alignment when they did the alignment and it also caused the outer edges to wear down quicker than they should have.

I had Michelin's before, went to Cooper, got the 2mg drop, then when the tires were replaced again with Cooper's and the alignment done, my MPG is back to normal.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Three words. Wind Wind Wind! Wind resistance goes up with the square of speed. That's why 60 MPH does so much better on gas than 70 MPH. A couple of questions, what size were the original tires and what size is on the truck now? If like a lot of people, you put on bigger tires and did not get the ECM recalibrated for the new tire size that alone will throw off the MPG calculation because the truck will have went farther than the speedo says it did. That will make the gas mileage seem lower than it really is. Look at the edge of the tread on the tires that are on the truck now. Do the edges have channels cut into them as part of the tread design that allows water and mud to be thrown out the side of the tire? If so those will get less mileage than the tires with a solid rib at the outer edge because air gets thrown out the side of the tire creating more drag. Post a pic of your tires please. Jay
Agreed. Using your example, the 10 mph increase is about 16% faster, for a 35% increase in aerodynamic drag. I don't think that would translate directly into a full 35% off your mpg, but it would have a noticeable effect, I'm sure.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Slow down

That's the only thing that will make a noticeable difference albeit not much, but at least noticeable. At 70 mph I get about 8.2, at 60 mph mid 9's.

You can try different things all you want but you're just wasting your time. It comes with the territory, cost of doing business, etc.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

new tires are usually softer, which gets a lot more driving resistance- yes- the mpg can drop. more aggressive profile, how already mentioned does the same- yes- they're sneak, these offroad tires...yeah- they're gas consuming, too. Next part is the weight- cheaper tires, e-rated tires, etc- weight is mostly underestimated. Next: even if the same tires are mounted- the profile on new tires has between 8 and 10 mm. to worn tires, the profile is maybe 1mm (depending how brave you are). that's 7-9mm difference, double that and you have 14-18mm more diameter, which also throws your speedometer- and therefore the mpg-calculator off. The real mpg is most accurate if calculated- how many miles on how much gas.
Another reason for drop can be also worn out spark plugs- that goes real quick at the end of the life span- also other engine-related issues, which are not throwing an error code out. I would go first with the mpg calculation and then with a tune up and then see, what it actually does. When towing, I would increase the tire pressure to the max. - 4.2-4.5 psi no problem- saves gas and the rig rolls better. Also the tire pressure of the trailer is important. same here- pump it to the max. The problem is not the max pressure, but if the pressure is too low. = more resistance = more fuel consumption.
That just for as much as I can say without seeing the vehicle.
Btw- worn shocks have the same effect.
All that assumed, the condition was the same like before, as well as speed and weight.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, mileage